SFC: O'Mahony's second half downs Rathkenny

April 30, 2012

O'Mahony's Ian Matthews
Navan O'Mahonys 1-11
Rathkenny 0-5

Navan O'Mahonys made it two wins in two outings in the hoganstand.com SFC as they overcame Rathkenny with a comprehensive victory in Kilberry on a blustery Sunday afternoon.

O'Mahonys held the opposition scoreless in the second half and secured their victory with 1-2 in the final six minutes of play. Overall, sloppy conditions and the strong breeze made scores and opportunities hard to come by.

The Navan side started out the stronger with three unanswered points in the first five minutes, Stephen Bray finding the target twice in as many minutes with well taken scores from open play against the strong wind, while Jake Regan pointed from a free. However, O'Mahonys only other score of the half came in the 18th minute with another Bray point, moments after Alan Forde was narrowly off target following a fine solo effort, although a point may have been the easier option.

Rathkenny veteran Donal Curtis half volleyed the men in red and blacks opener on six minutes. The deficit was reduced to the minimum when Brian Lenehan expertly converted a long range free. The remainder of the half belonged to Rathkenny in the scoring stakes as Richie Timmons, Jack Gore and Owen Elliott points edged Rathkenny in front at half time, 0-5 to 0-4.

This turned out to be their last scores of the game however, as O'Mahonys dominated the final quarter. David Murtagh opened the scoring in the second half in the third minute. It took until the thirteenth minute to add to this with a Brian Dillon point. O'Mahonys stayed on top from this point, with Bray, Darragh Smyth, Paddy Smyth, Forde and Shane Gillespie all raising the white flag with the impressive Bray also netting in the 24th minute to put the result beyond doubt. While credit has to go to the forwards for some well taken scores despite the conditions, good defensive play from Kevin Reilly, Shane Crosby, Gary O'Brien, Brian Dillon and Ian Matthews ensured Rathkenny were not given the opportunity to come back.

O'Mahonys: M. Brennan, S. O'Toole, I. Matthews, B. Dillon (0-1), S. Crosby, G. O'Brien, D. Moran, S. McKeigue, D. Murtagh (0-1), P. Smyth (0-1), A. Forde (0-1), J. Regan (0-1f), S. Bray (1-4), D. Maguire. Subs: D. Smyth (0-1) for Maguire (41), S. Gillespie (0-1) for Regan (49), D. Maguire for McKeigue (56)

Rathkenny - J. Martin; R. Gore, J. Macken, Joe Gore; D. Donegan, D. Keogan, M. Macken; D. Smith, J. Donegan; B. Lenehan (0-1), B. Meade, Jack Gore (0-1), R. Timmons (0-1), D. Curtis (0-1), O. Elliott (0-1). Subs - I. Lenehan for B. Lenehan, C. Meade for Timmons.

Most Read Stories