SFC: Dunshaughlin and Skryne finish level

April 29, 2012

Dunshaughlin's Conor Devereaux
Dunshaughlin ...... 0-9
Skryne ................. 1-6

Dunshaughlin and neighbours Skryne played out a draw in this hoganstand.com SFC Group B second round clash at Ratoath on Saturday evening.

Having looked the more deserving winners throughout Dunshaughlin needed a 59th minute Trevor Dowd point to tie the scores.

Dowd's leveller came moments after Skryne hit the front in bizarre fashion with the game's only goal.

When Paddy O'Rourke's wayward point attempt wasn't cleared by the otherwise efficient Dunshaughlin defence, Ian Davis fired home Skryne's first goal of the campaign from close range.

Five minutes of merited stoppage time couldn't separate the sides who were deadlocked on just one other occasion over the hour.

The outcome resulted in a point each for sides who managed just 0-8 each in the opening when Dunshaughlin lost heavily to Dunboyne and Skryne fell four points short of Simonstown.

Dunshaughlin were let down by wayward shooting in the opening half. When playing into the breeze blowing from the road goal, Gary Farrelly's men shot nine wides.

Skryne were fortunate to finish with their full compliment of players. Full-back James Looby escaped sanction for a tenth minute foul on Dowd, that seemed to warrrant a yellow card.

The main talking point centred on a late challenge by Skryne midfielder Paddy O'Rourke on Cathal O'Dwyer as he was pointing in the 42nd minute.

O'Dwyer left the action was the board reading 0-8 to 0-5 while O'Rourke picked up a yellow card from referee John O'Byrne and then placed Ciaran Lenehan for a point.

Skryne 'keeper Felim O'Rourke intervened smartly to prevent Dowd from goaling at the expense of a '45' that yielded nothing.

The impressive Conor Devereux pointed twice in the opening six minutes while Davis cancelled out his first score to level matters for the first time.

Dunshaughlin remained in front until Davis' goal. The opening 12 minutes produced six scores but there were only two more scores before the break at which time last year's SFC runners-up led by 0-5 to 0-3.

Skyrne - F. O'Rourke; D. Morley, J. Looby, T. McKeown; A. Carty, C. Lenehan (0-1), J. Hegarty; D. McGoldrick, P. O'Rourke; K. O'Reilly, T. Giles, I. Davis (1-3, 0-1 f); K. Mulvaney, D. Ryan (0-1), M. Battersby (0-1). Subs - R. McCabe for Mulvaney (ht), J. Quinn for Looby (60).

Dunshaughlin - R. Gogan; C. Hoary, K. McTigue, A. Doyle; A. Johnson (0-1), T. Johnson, D. Kealy; J. Crimmins, C. King; C. Devereux (0-3), T. Dowd (0-3, 2fs), T. O Dushlaine; F. Toolan (0-1,f), N. Murphy, C. O'Dwyer (0-1). Subs - F. Delaney for McTigue (33), E. Hagarty for O'Dwyer (44), M. McHale for O Dushlaine (56).

Referee - J. O'Byrne (St Patrick's).

Most Read Stories