SFC: Don Ash scalp the champions

April 28, 2012

Donaghmore Ashbourne's Niall Farrell
Donaghmore Ashbourne 2-11
Summerhill 1-7

Donaghmore Ashbourne finished with seven points to spare over holders Summerhill in this hoganstand.com SFC Group A fixture at sunny Dunshaughlin on Friday evening.

Two second-half Andrew Tormey goals were central to Donaghmore/Ashbourne's second win from two SFC outings. The first goal arrived midway through the second-half when the full-forward fisted David Morgan's delivery to the Summerhill net to leave it 1-10 to 1-5.

The second Donaghmore/Ashbourne goal was a calamitous concession from the champions' perspective as Niall Farrell underhit attempt at fisting a point was cleared off the line by Summerhill full-back Caolan Young.

The ball broke to Tormey who first-timed to the net and suddenly eight points separated the sides, 2-10 to 1-5, with 49 minutes gone. Had Young not touched the ball, Farrell's initial attempt wouldn't have counted as a goal.

With that the contest ended while Summerhill's disappointment was compounded by the dismissal of centre-half-back Richie Hatton on a straight red card for a challenge on Tormey in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Paul Rispin's tally of four points from play was one of the highlights from Summerhill's perspective with the first coming within 40 seconds of the throw-in.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne quickly responsed with a fine solo effort from wing-back Ciaran Ellis.

Summerhill were considerably boosted when Brian Ennis expertly netted a fifth minute penalty awarded for a foul on Barry Dardis by Cormac McGill.

Over the remainder of the half, Summerhill hit seven wides to Donaghmore/Ashbourne's two. Two Farrell points in quick succession at the start of the second quarter kept Sean Kelly's men within range of the Keegan Cup holders. The second one levelling matters for the second time.

Scores were tied one more time, before John Broderick's point left Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-7 to 1-3 ahead at the break. They remained in front to the end.

Points from Kevin Lanigan and Eoin Reilly (45) moved Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-9 to 1-3 clear within six minutes of the restart.

Dardis (45) and Rispin found the range for the 'Hill to trim the gap to just two points on as many occasions. The final time being in the 43rd minute. The came Tormey's double goal salvo that ultimately determined the outcome.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne - A. Colgan; C. McGill, S. Curran, J. P. Casserly; C. Ellis (0-1), B. Menton, E. Riordan; R. O'Connor, D. Morgan; C. Field (0-1), E. Reilly (0-1, 45), J. Broderick (0-1); N. Farrell (0-2), A. Tormey (2-3, 0-3 fs), K. Lanigan (0-2). Subs - S. Melia for Lanigan (42 mins), C. O Mealoid for O'Connor (46 mins).

Summerhill - T. McDonnell; D. Dalton, C. Young, W. Ryan; P. Geraghty, R. Hatton, M. Gorman; M. Byrne, C. Gillespie; D. Larkin, B. Ennis (1-1, 1-0 pen, 0-1 f), A. Kenny; P. Rispin (0-4), S. Dalton, B. Dardis (0-2, 1 45).

Referee - C. McManus (Gaeil Colmcille)

Most Read Stories