SFC: Blacks' win sinks champions

August 07, 2011

Walterstown's Alban Crosbie
Walterstown .................. 2-12
Duleek/Bellewstown ...... 0-10

Walterstown beat Duleek/Bellewstown in this Meath Farm Machinery Group C fixture at Dunshaughlin on Saturday evening to reach the last eight at the expense of holders Skryne.

A depleted Walterstown side went into this game, played mainly in the rain, with the primary objective of not being drawn into the relegation dogfight.

However, after a slow start they won by a sufficient margin to pip Skryne - who beat Dunboyne at Navan - and St Patrick's (who had completed their programme) to a quarter-final place on points difference.

In the end, Walterstown made it with a point to spare from St Pat's. Had Peter Curran's late goal attempt from a free not been deflected for a 45 then the Stamullen club would have advanced.

The outcome consigns Duleek/Bellewstown to the relegation play-off. It all started so well for the east Meath outfit as points from Stephen McArdle (two) and Conal McGinley left them 0-3 to 0-0 ahead six minutes in.

Then Walterstown took control outscoring the team in gold and green by 2-5 to 0-0 in a 22 -minute spell.

Having got off the mark through teenager David Donnellan, Walterstown kicked on with a tenth minute goal from top scorer Alban Crosbie and didn't cash in their lead.

Walterstown looked set to pay for their wastefulness until a scoring burst in the run-up to half-time set them on course for a quarter-final place.

A strong run by the impressive Tom Walsh led a Michael Clarke goal before further scores from Alan Reynolds and Donnellan left them eight points clear.

Peter Curran (free) pulled one back for Duleek/Bellewstown in the first minute of stoppage time while the board read 2-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Walterstown might have got a third goal but Crosbie's 43rd minute effort struck a post and went wide. Seconds later Donnellan landed his third point and it was 2-9 to 0-7.

Early in the final quarter Walterstown's Cathan Hennelly and Duleek/Bellewstown's David Moore were red carded following a brief flare-up involving players from both sides.

When corner-back John Geoghegan completed Walterstown's tally in the 56th minute it was 2-12 to 0-8. John McCarthy and Michael O'Brien's men managed to hold on to win by a sufficient margin to progress.

Walterstown - R. Barry; J. Geoghegan (0-1), D. Kennedy, R. Reynolds; C. O'Sullivan, T. Walsh (0-1 f), P. Reynolds; A. Reynolds (0-1), J. Farrelly; M. McCormack (0-1), C. Hennelly (0-1), D. Reynolds; D. Donnellan (0-3), A. Crosbie (1-4, 0-4 fs), M. Clarke (1-0). Sub - A. Khan for Clarke (54).

Duleek/Bellewstown - R. Nolan; P. Howard, K. Smith, D. Teeling; K. McCann, B. Moore, D. Moore; T. Cunningham, M. Dowling; D. Mills, J. Flood (0-3 fs), S. McArdle (0-3); C. McGinley (0-1), K. McDonnell, P. Curran (0-3, 2fs). Subs - C. Dunne for McCann (40), S. Nolan for McGinley (52).

Referee - F. Gallogly (Dunshaughlin).

Most Read Stories