IFC: Kells men topple Carnaross

May 16, 2011

Gaeil Colmcille's Gary Arkins gains possession as Eamonn Comaskey (Carnaross) closes in during the Meath IFC clash at Carnaross
Gaeil Colmcille 2-10
Carnaross 3-4

Carnaross suffered their first defeat following a tough battle with neighbours Gaeil Colmcille.

The Kells men, playing against a strong breeze, got off to the perfect start with Seanie Curran scoring a goal inside the opening minute. It got even better two minutes later when they were awarded a penalty which Brian Hanlon converted to give them their second goal. Niall McDonnell opened the Carnaross account with a point from play. However, Gaeil Colmcille were on top and added another two points from play through Keith Reilly and Curran to take a seven point lead after ten minutes. John L McGee added a free for Carnaross and followed it up with a goal after rounding the Kells keeper to leave just three between the sides. Gaeil Colmcille's Gary Arkins converted a free but this was cancelled out with Brian Comaskey hitting the target for Carnaross. Carnaross then had the chance of a second goal but the Gaeil Colmcille keeper kept the effort out. Two more points for Gaeil Colmcille stretched their lead further and things got worse for Carnaross when substitute Stein Carpenter received a straight red. Just on the stroke of half time Carnaross were awarded a penalty which John L McGee put in the top corner of the net bringing Carnaross back into the game trailing by just two points, 2-3 to 2-5.

Gaeil Colmcille scored the opening point after the restart through Hanlon. Carnaross however battled hard for everything and were rewarded with their second penalty after Peter Mullan was taken down. Once again John L McGee made no mistake from the spot and Carnaross were back on level terms. Gaeil Colmcille kept their noses in front adding two more points. The game had turned into a real dogfight at this stage with scores very hard to get. McGee added a free for Carnaross to reduce the margin to one point with ten minutes remaining. Gaeil Colmcille scored another Hanlon point from play as they fought hard to keep Carnaross out. As Carnaross searched for the goal it was the Kells men who got the insurance score through centre back Barry Smith just before the final whistle.

Gaeil Colmcille - D Drew, M Foley, R Flanagan, D Smith, P Tormey, B Smith 0-1, B Tormey, JC Lynch, P Ward, G Arkins 0-2, A Hickey, S Curran 1-1, D McGovern, K Reilly 0-1, B Hanlon 1-4. Subs - S Reddy for K Reilly, C Keegan for G Arkins, S Mattimoe 0-1 for S Curran.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; John Plunkett, Thomas Nugent, Peter Nugent; Eamonn Comaskey, Patrick Nugent, Peter Farrelly; Charles Brogan, Brian Comaskey (0-1); Declan Reilly, John L McGee (3-2), Damian Smith; Ollie Murphy, Peter Mullan, Niall McDonnell (0-1); Subs: Stein Carpenter for Peter Nugent; Dermot McGee for Declan Reilly; Ciaran McDonnell for Damian Smith; Michael Brogan for Peter Mullan.

Most Read Stories