SFC: Duleek/Bellewstown upset the odds

July 19, 2010

Duleek/Bellewstown's Mark Collins
Competition- Senior Championship Round 4
Venue- Dunshaughlin

Duleek/Bellewstown 1-15
Summerhill 2-09
Date-Sunday 18th July 
Time- 4-00pm
Duleek /Bellewstown, regarded by some as the whipping boys in this division of the Senior Championship, upset the odds and Summerhill, with a well deserved 3 point win in Dunshaughlin on Sunday afternoon last. Duleek/Bellewstown were full value for their win which flattered Summerhill somewhat, as they converted a penalty in the 60th minute of the game.

Summerhill were first off the mark with a point before Mark Collins leveled from a free. Collins, who was a constant threat to the Summerhill defence, accounted for 10 of Duleek/Bellewstown scores, 7 of which were from free kicks. Summerhill were 4 points ahead after 6 minutes and looked to be controlling affairs around the middle of the field.

However, 3 unanswered points from Collins kept the east meath side in the game. Midfield was always going to be a critical sector in the outcome of the game. Both Karl McDonnell and Tony Cunningham gave as good as they got and provided valuable possession to the forward line. Points from Collins, Kevin McCann, Johnny Flood and Darren Mills in the last 10 minutes of the first half gave Duleek/Bellewstown a slender 1 point lead at half time, playing as they were, into the breeze.  

Half-Time Score Duleek/Bellewstown 0-09 Summerhill 1-05 

Duleek/Bellewstown increased their lead to 5 points on the restart with a point from play from Collins followed by a well taken '45 by the same player. Points were exchanged with Flood getting his 2nd of the game. Summerhill hit a purple patch where they converted 3 unanswered points, 2 of which came from frees to draw level.

Cunningham, with some impressive high fielding in a congested midfield got on the end of a good move to slot over and restore the narrowest of leads after 45 mins. Summerhill did not score for the next 15 mins while Colm Nally's charges hit their own purple patch.

A high centre was well fielded by full forward Daniel Martin under pressure, who turned and blasted to the Summerhill net to the delight of the large Duleek/Bellewstown crowd present. A Collins free soon after increased the lead over a shell shocked Summerhill to 6 points until that converted penalty on 30 mins.

Tempers did get a little heated with a few late tackles being exchanged, but mostly on the Summerhill side as they chased the equalizing goal. Casey Dunne was shown a red card near the end of the game for a late tackle which was the only negative aspect on a great win for Duleek/Bellewstown.

A win over Navan O'Mahonys in the last round will see the east Meath outfit through to the knock stages of the SFC.
Best for Duleek/Bellewstown were Podge Howard in a solid back line, Karl McDonnell and Tony Cunningham who worked tirelessly at midfield, Mark Collins, John Flood, Daniel Martin and Darren Mills, who was a handful for Mark O'Reilly all afternoon. 

Duleek/Bellewstown team; R Nolan, K. Smith, G Hynes, J Martin, D. Moore , M Dowling, P Howard, K McDonnell, T. Cunningham (0-01), K McCann (0-01), M Collins (0-10, 0-6 frees, 0-01 '45), C Dunne J Flood (0-02), D Martin (1-00), D Mills (0-01),

Most Read Stories