IFC semi-final replay: Wood prevail in 'derby' clash

October 19, 2009

Kilmainhamwood's Steven Kiernan
Kilmainhamwood 1-15 Nobber 0-15 Kilmainhamwood withstood a strong rally from neighbours Nobber in this exicting Lagan Group IFC semi-final replay at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon to set up a final meeting with Oldcastle. This thrilling meeting of neighbours produced 31 scores but it was Stephen Kiernan's contribution of 1-4 from play that saw Colm Kane's men over the line in front. Team captain and former county player Ray Magee chipped in with six points and was particularly impressive as a target man in the opening-half. Kilmainhamwood's decision to play with the stiff breeze paid off and by the 27th minute they were eight points clear, 1-9 to 0-4. Eight minutes earlier Kiernan netted what proved to be the match-winning score with assistance from Francis Owens. Pauric Owens opening point was quickly cancelled by Niall Farrell (free) but it was the only time the scores were tied. Once Magee opened his account Kilmainhamwood were never subsequently reeled in and by the 10th minute were 0-5 to 0-2 to the good after midfielder David Russell pointed. At the start of the second quarter the gap was up to five points, but a mini-revival saw Andrew Hayes and Niall Farrell (free) find the range for Nobber. Then came Kiernan's goal. Nobber were in big bother coming up to half-time but a brace of Niall Farrell points from play left them 0-6 to 1-9 in arrears at the break. Within minutes of the restart Nobber's Brendan Heffernan had a goal attempt blocked by Kilmainhamwood full-back Stephen Smith. However, Nobber got the next four scores before midfielder Ray Madden got Kilmainhamwood's first point in nearly 15 minutes of play. Nobber rallied again and the margin was down to the minimum, 0-12 to 1-10, when team captain Brian Farrell sent over from play. Three points on the spin from Kiernan (two) and David Russell gave Kilmainhamwood - who lost full-back Stephen Smith through injury - some leeway but Darren Fay's men were not giving up. It took a fine block by Kilmainhamwood corner-back Padraig Barber to prevent Niall Farrell from goaling and though they got the gap down to two points on as many occasions in the final minutes the road ran out on Nobber. Kilmainhamwood - M. Clarke; P. Barber, S. Smith, D. Cunningham; P. Moran, S. Mulligan, M. Shankey; A. Farrelly, D. Russell (0-2); P. Owens (0-1), F. Owens, H. Corbally; R. Madden (0-1), R. Magee (0-6, 2 fs), S. Kiernan (1-4). Subs - C. Gilcreest for Corbally (ht), L. Shankey for M. Shankey (41), C. Shankey for Smith (44), A. Crosbie (0-1) for P. Owens (51). Nobber - C. O'Reilly; P. Weldon, B. O'Reilly, A. O'Brien; P. McEntee, P. Clarke, R. Shiels; A. Farrell, G. Farrelly (0-1); G. Campbell, A. Hayes (0-2), B. Heffernan (0-2); N. Farrell (0-5, 3 fs), B. Farrell (0-4, 2 fs), C. Clarke. Subs - J. Owens (0-1) for Campbell (26), M. O'Halloran for O'Brien (47), G. Weldon for Hayes (56 ). Referee - J. Gordon (Walterstown).

Most Read Stories