IFC semi-final: 'Wood and Nobber can't be seperated

October 12, 2009

Nobber's Andy Hayes
Kilmainhamwood 1-12 Nobber 0-15 (after extra-time) Neighbours Kilmainhamwood and Nobber will have to do it all after extra-time failed to separate them in the second of the Lagan Group IFC semi-finals at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday night. Twice the 'Wood rescued their championship hopes in added time with a converted free by Stephen Kiernan detaining the spectators for another while and leaving the board reading 1-7 to 0-10 at the end of regulation time. When Brian Farrell fired over five points in succession to leave Nobber leading by four at the next break, Nobber appeared to be on the way to face Oldcastle in the final. But they did not score again as the 'Wood came storming back. There were three minutes added time and despite Nobber having 12 players back in their own half, they conceded a free from which Kiernan again levelled, from a free on the left wing. The opening 30 minutes were tame enough with Nobber ahead by 0-6 to 0-4 at the end of the first period. Andy Hayes put over three points and Niall Farrell made it five to two. Brian Farrell fired a shot against the woodwork before points from Pauric Owens and Ray McGee left it closer at the break. Kilmainhamwood wasted little time when striking for the goal in the first attack after the restart. Padraig Weldon lost possession before fouling McGee who drove the resulting penalty kick to the roof of the net. County forward Brian Farrell blew hot and cold, missing a few chances of scores including two goal opportunities in the second half. Still he finished up with a total of seven points. The goal kept the 'Wood in front until three points in a row, put over by Brian Farrell (free), substitute Jamie Owens and Niall Farrell (free), left the sides level on 1-6 to 0-9 after 50 minutes. Veteran Aidan Crosbie made a good impression after being introduced for Kilmainhamwood and was unlucky to have a 'point' ruled out because of a 'square' infringement. The number 28 got on target in the second period of extra-time during which Darren Fay's side had a lot of defending to do. McGee (free) and Kiernan got on target before the latter saved the night from that late late free. Nobber corner back Padraig was sent off on receipt of a second yellow card in the last seconds. Kilmainhamwood- M Clarke; P Barber, S Smith, D Cunningham; P Moran, S Mulligan, M Shankey (0-1); A Farrell, L Shankey; P Owens (0-1), F Owens, H Corbally; R Madden, R McGee (1-5, gl pen, 3 pts frees), S Kiernan (0-4, 2 frees). Subs- K Russell for L Shankey, A Crosbie (0-1) for Corbally (both 53), C Gilcreest for P Owens (56), D Russell for K Russell (68), C Shankey for Smith (71). Nobber- C O'Reilly; P Weldon, B O'Reilly, A O'Brien; P McEntee, P Clarke, R Sheils; A Farrell, G Farrelly; G Campbell, A Hayes (0-3), B Heffernan (0-1); N Farrell (0-2, 1 free), B Farrell (0-8, 1 free), C Clarke. Subs- J Owens (0-1) for O'Brien (36), G Weldon for Campbell (54). Referee- M Quinn (Clann na nGael).

Most Read Stories