SFC Quarter-final: Tones dismantle Dunboyne

September 25, 2009

Niall McLoughlin Wolfe Tones
Wolfe Tones 1-18 Dunboyne 0-9 Wolfe Tones comfortably dismantled a feeble Dunboyne challenge in the first of this year's Commons Hardware SFC quarter-finals at Pairc Tailteann on Thursday night when running out emphatic winners with a dozen points to spare. A bar two of Wolfe Tones 19 scores came from play in what turned out to be little more than a warm up routine for a semi-final clash with either Navan O'Mahonys or the winners of the preliminary quarter-final between Dunshaughlin or Blackhall Gaels. Centre-half-forward Niall McLoughlin capped an influential display with five points from play. Mark Coleman matched that with 1-2. Cian Ward put six points for his name (including two from frees) but some of his scores from play were top drawer efforts. Team captain Alan Fox put in a typicaly energetic display and finished with three points from play while Stephen Corrigan was the main man at midfield where the lively Alan Callaghan offered good support. The latter pair outshone Nigel Crawford and Sean McGarrell (the latter began at midfield after swapping places with Craig Berrigan). At the back Eoghan Harrington and Ciaran Martin were the lynchpins in the Wolfe Tones defence. David Gallagher (who missed the win over Blackhall Gaels with a shoulder injury) started at full-back for Dunboyne but came off second best in his tussle with Ward. Wolfe Tones went through the opening half without registering a single score from a free. Within 25 seconds of the off Fox had them in front capitalising on a misplaced pass by David Gallagher. A minute later Ward got on the end of a Fox cross, but his fisted effort forced a fine reflex save from Dunboyne 'keeper Johnny O'Connor. That afforded only temporary respite for Declan Mahon's men. Within seconds of seeing his goal attempt stopped Ward pointed from out on the left. Wolfe Tones' goal arrived in the fifth minute with Mark Coleman fisting to the net at the town end after their main marksman turned provider. Then it was Niall McLoughlin's turn to get off the mark with assistance from Ward and Stephen Shepherd and the board read 1-3 to 0-0. An error by Richie Brady allowed Stephen Moran open Dunboyne's account with his only score of the hour. Before the 10th minute elapsed it was 1-5 to 0-2. Ciaran McLoughlin and Callaghan played supporting roles in Niall McLoughlin's second score while Tommy O'Connor (operating on the '40') set Berrigan up for Dunboyne's second score. The eight score of the opening ten minutes was a Fox point that completed a fine move started with an excellent Corrigan fetch in midfield. The scoring rate dropped as Dunboyne enjoyed a few minutes in the ascendency but all they had to show for their efforts was McGarrell point. Wolfe Tones ended a ten-minute scoring blank with McLoughlin sent over his third point after Paul Byrne's goal attempt was blocked. Cathal O'Bric charges outscored Dunboyne by 0-4 to 0-1 in the run-up to half time with a further brace of Ward efforts from play being the pick of the scores. At half-time the board read 1-10 to 0-5. Within a minute of the restart the gap was up to nine points when Paul Byrne placed McLoughlin for his fourth score. Ger Robinson responded with a point that was helped over by Wolfe Tones 'keeper David Nolan. The one-way traffic continued towards the hospital goal and by the 41st minute 12 points separted the side, 1-15 to 0-6. Coleman escaped the attempted jerseys tugs of Gary Watters to send over the best of the second-half scores. The final third of the hour grew increasingly tedious as the sides shared six points and used their full quota of substitutes. Wolfe Tones - D. Nolan; R. Brady, C. McLoughlin, C. Martin; B. McGinn, E. Harrington, S. Sheppard; S. Corrigan (0-1), A. Callaghan; D. McGrath, N. McLoughlin (0-5), M. Coleman (1-2); A. Fox (0-3), C. Ward (0-6. 2fs), P. Byrne (0-1). Subs - G. Beggy for McGrath (45), R. McDonnell for Byrne (47), A. McKeown for Callaghan (54), J. Tiernan for McGinn (58). Dunboyne - J. O'Connor; S. Hogan, David Gallagher, S. McKenna (0-1); C. Brennan, Denis Gallagher, G. Watters; N. Crawford, S. McGarrell (0-2) ; D. Clarke, T. O'Connor, C. Berrigan (0-1); G. Robinson (0-4, 3fs), C. O'Donoghue, S. Moran (0-1). Subs - P. Fagan for Denis Gallagher (36), M. O'Grady for Clarke (39), G. Timoney for Hogan (40), P. Watters for Moran (47), Mick Confey (48). Referee - J. Gordon (Walterstown).

Most Read Stories