SFC: Tones trump Dunshaughlin to top Group C

September 20, 2009

Wolfe Tones Cian Ward
Wolfe Tones 2-12 Dunshaughlin 0-11 Wolfe Tones made it four wins from as many starts in the Commons Hardware SFC with an easy win over Dunshaughlin at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening to finish on top of Group C. Cian Ward's seven-point haul was decorated by excellent efforts from play - with right and left feet - that were the highlights of a low-key encounter. Cathal O'Bric's men were too mobile for Dunshaughlin and were able to respond positively when their position was threatened. Twice in the second-half Wolfe Tones led by nine points and in between Dunshaughlin managed to trim the deficit to six points on two occasions. The 'Tones closed their account in 59th minute after a trio of points that had Ward's fingerprints with the number 14 registering from a free and then from play. In between he started a move from a sideline kick in midfield that ended with McGrath sending over. Points from Niall Kelly (free) and the hard-working Martin Reilly wrapped up the scoring. Dunshaughlin didn't go away empty-handed and have a preliminary quarter-final meeting with neighbours Blackhall Gaels to look forward to. Cathal O'Dwyer and Trevor Dowd were marked absent for Dunshaughlin through injury while Michael Johnson cried off just before the throw-in and was replaced by Conor Devereux. Wolfe Tones were never headed and last year's beaten semi-finalists never looked like slipping up here. Twice in the opening quarter the scores were tied. Ward pointed the 'Tones in front on two occasions only for Martin Reilly and Niall Kelly to reply (both frees). Wolfe Tones opening score was play the second was an exquisite effort from a free out on the right. Wolfe Tones kicked on with 1-2 in a five-minute spell. A move involving Barry McGinn, Mark Coleman and Gordon Beggy was fisted to the net at the town end by McGrath. Points from play by Paul Byrne and Niall McLoughlin followed. Having gone 21 minutes without registering from open play Dunshaughlin scored two in quick succession through midfielder Ray Maloney and the margin was down to a goal, 0-4 to 1-4. Wolfe Tones closed out the half with a flourish. Alan Fox and Ward (a magnificent effort from the left wing) pointed before Mark Coleman first-timed the ball to the Dunshaughlin net in the last meaningful action of the half and the board read 2-6 to 0-4. Wolfe Tones - S. Power; R. Brady, C. McLoughlin, C. Martin; B. McGinn, E. Harrington, S. Sheppard; S Corrigan, M. Coleman (1-0); D. McGrath (1-1), N. McLoughlin (0-2), G. Beggy; A. Fox (0-1), C.Ward (0-7, 3 fs), P. Byrne (0-1). Subs - J. McKeown for Beggy (47), R. McDonnell for Byrne (51), D. Coleman for McGinn (56). Dunshaughlin - R. Gogan; T. Johnson, K. McTigue, A. Johnson; M. Ahern, C. King, D. Kealy; J. Crimmins, R. Maloney (0-2); C. Farrelly, R. Kealy (0-1), M. Reilly (0-4, 2 frees); C. Staunton, N. Kelly (0-2, frees), C. Devereux. Subs - D. Crimmins (0-1) for Ahern (37), M. McHale (0-1) for Farrelly (40) Referee - L. O'Brien (Duleek/Bellewstown).

Most Read Stories