IFC: Na Fianna edge out Carnaross

September 13, 2009

Na Fianna's Ollie Lewis
Na Fianna 1-9 Carnaross 0-10 Na Fianna recorded their third victory of the Intermediate Football Championship in Simonstown on Saturday evening when they secured a two point win over Carnaross. The victory sets the South Meath team up for a last round 'winner takes all' game against St Michaels next weekend as both teams strive for, potentially, one final play-off spot. Carnaross started the game much quicker with points from John L Magee, Niall McDonnell and Ollie Murphy. When Na Fianna eventually got to the pace of the game the created a lot of worthwhile chances resulting in three fisted points - two from full forward Dean Barrett and one from mid fielder Brain Queeney. Further points came from Daniel Queeney, Declan Brennan and Jamie Queeney. However the turning point of the game came in the twenty second minute of the half when Barrett, having been fouled, quickly dispatched his free to Jamie Queeney who put the ball past the Carnaross keeper. This left the half time score at Na Fianna 1-7 to Carnaross 0-5 and Na Fianna seemed to have the measure of their opponents. There is no doubt Na Fianna reserved their worst football of the championship to date for the second half of this match. Their problem was not that they failed to create chances but it was their consistent waste of those chances in front of goal, as players took wrong options, were guilty of poor free taking, from normally very reliable free takers, and generally poor at kicking, that made the game so difficult for the Na Fianna supporters. Na Fianna's only scores of the second half came from two Jamie Queeney frees, on the 17th and 22nd minutes, following fouls on Diarmuid Bailey, who was Na Fianna's most effective forward with his consistent runs at the Carnaross defense. The succession of missed opportunities led to the inevitable final charge from Carnaross as Na Fianna's lead whittled down from six points to two as the game entered the dying minutes. While Carnaross had some excellent scores from Niall McDonnell, Brian Comiskey as well as McGee and Murphy they were also guilty of missing some scorable frees. For the last ten minutes Carnaross consistently played high balls into the Na Fianna square and it took excellent fielding by Christy Cosgrove at full back and two top class saves from keeper David McCormack to stop Carnaross scoring what would have been a match winning goal. There was relief around the Na Fianna supporters, players and management when referee Tommy Lorton, blew the final whistle. Apart from those mentioned others to play well for Na Fianna were Ollie Lewis at midfield, Tommy Cosgrove and John Baldwin in defense. Na Fianna; David McCormack; Robert Walsh; Christy Cosgrove; Davy Lyons; John Baldwin; Tommy Cosgrove; Shane Burke; Brian Queeney (0-1); Ollie Lewis; Dean Henrick; Diarmuid Bailey; Declan Brennan (0-1); Daniel Queeney (0-1); Dean Barrett (0-2); Jamie Queeney (1-4). Subs: Harrison Silke for Daniel Queeney; Conor Downey for Dean Henrick. Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Patrick Nugent, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Shane Comaskey, Patrick Smith; Brian Comaskey, Richard Mulvey (0-1); Damien Smith, John L McGee (0-2), Dermot McGee (0-2); Niall McDonnell (0-4), Conor Woods, Ollie Murphy (0-1); Subs: Peter Mullan for Damien Smith; Peter Nugent for Shane Comaskey; Referee: Tommy Lorton (Simonstown)

Most Read Stories