SFC: Brennan bags hat-trick for five-star Simonstown

May 04, 2009

Mickey Brennan has made a return to Simonstown
Mickey Brennan scored 3-3 as Simonstown scored an emphatic Commons Hardware SFC Group A second round win over Duleek/Bellewstown at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon. Simonstown 5-11 Duleek/Bellewstown 1-9 Brennan also had a hand in Simonstown's opening goal which was finished to the net by John Lunney after 12 minutes and by half-time the points were in the bag with the board reading 4-5 to 1-5. The former Cavan player raised his first green flag, at the second attempt, in the 14th minute following good approach play by Seamus Kenny and Mark McCabe. When the latter player provided the assist for his second goal, it was 3-3 to 0-4. Duleek/Bellewstown halved the deficit with a pointed Mark Collins free and a Kevin Smith goal but Simonstown kicked on again. Brennan landed a free from almost 50 metres before grabbing his third goal in first-half stoppage time. He resumed by posting a solo point at the hospital end while a brace of points from Wayne McCarthy left 4-8 to 1-6 after 36 minutes. Wind assisted Duleek/Belllewstown needed all the assistance they could get if they were going to add to their first round win over Donaghmore/Ashbourne. Simonstown 'keeper Gary Lynch made a fine double save from Peter Curran and Mark Collins. Curran saw another goal attempt fly over for a point. Substitute Paul O'Reilly chipped in with a brace of points for Colm O'Rourke's charges while full-back Niall McMahon completed their goal tally in stoppage time at the end of the campaign. The result moves Simonstown to the top of Group A on points difference while Ricky Nolan denied them a sixth goal when saving well from McCarthy just before the end. Early points from Collins (free) and Paul Martin got Duleek/Bellewstown off to a flying start but they survived a scare when Nolan saved smartly from Brennan ten minutes in. It proved only to be a temporary respite Lunney and Brennan netted inside a minute and Simonstown were on their way to emphatic and merited success. Duleek/Bellewstown enjoyed their fair share of possession but finished with 12 wides to Simonstown's two. Simonstown - G. Lynch; S. Carr, N. McMahon (1-0), B. Flood; C. Kenny, S. Kenny, M. O'Rourke; P. Meade, M. McCabe; J. Lunney (1-1), J. Lyons, P. McKeever; S. Tobin, M. Brennan (3-3, 0-1 free, 0-1 '45'), W. McCarthy (0-5, 3 frees). Subs - H. Traynor for C. Kenny (23 mins), S. Barry for Lunney (45 mins), P. O'Reilly (0-2) for Tobin (48 mins). Duleek/Bellewstown - R. Nolan; D. Teeling, K. Smith (1-0), G. Reilly; D. Moore, P. Howard, G. Hynes; K. McDonnell (0-1), T. Cunningham; C. Carney (0-1, free), P. Martin (0-2), P. Curran (0-1); J. Devereaux, M. Dowling (0-1), M. Collins (0-3, 2 frees). Subs - J. Martin for Devereaux (26 mins), D. Ferguson for Reilly, C. McGinley for Carney (both half-time), D. Mills for Teeling (52 mins). Referee - D. Smyth (O'Mahonys).

Most Read Stories