SFC: Kealy goal propels Dunshaughlin to victory

May 04, 2009

Dunshaughlin captain Denis Kealy
A goal from captain Denis Kealy midway throw the second half provided Dunshaughlin with a platform to go on and win two crucial points in the Senior Championship. Dunshaughlin 2-12 Rathkenny 2-04 With both sides suffering defeats in their respective opening games, Dunshaughlin were keenest from the off and opened the scoring after five minutes when good interplay from Michael Ahern and Richie Kealy set up Conor Staunton for the opener. Martin Reilly doubled Dunshaughlin's advantage two minutes later before Rathkenny finally opened their account in the 9th minute. Dunshaughlin were dominant and Conor Staunton latched on to a through ball before expertly placing a shot past the Rathkenny keeper for the first goal of the game. But Rathkenny nerves held and they regained two points in as many minutes shortly after to keep Dunshaughlin within sight. But the second quarter belonged to the men in black and amber, and in particular Martin Reilly, who converted three fine frees. The first came after a foul on Richie Kealy, the second came after it took three Rathkenny defenders to take Michael Johnson down as he closed in on goal and the third was the result of a cynical foul on Trevor Dowd after some persistence from Denis Kealy put Dowd through. But just as it seemed Dunshaughlin would have a handsome half-time lead, Rathkenny sniped a goal to leave just two points between the sides, Dunshaughlin leading 1-05 to 1-03 but going to the dressing room ruing almost a dozen first half wides. The second half started with a bang, the bang being the noise of leather on a metal post as Cathal O'Dwyer and Staunton linked up to set up a shot for Michael Johnson, Johnson effort crashing against the Rathkenny post with the keeper beaten. Almost the perfect start for Dunshaughlin and a real let off for the north Meath men. Rathkenny reduced the Dunshaughlin lead to a solitary point in the 35th minute. But Dunshaughlin seemed to be sparked into action and Caoimhin Kings forward run was rewarded with a point. Then came Kealy's goal, and inspirational moment which galvanized the black and amber men. Staunton got in on the act and points moments later. On the next attack Staunton was fouled and Niall Kelly stepped up to convert a free. Another forward run by Denis Kealy was illegally brought to a halt and the ever dependable Martin Reilly obliged in the usual manner. A rather fortunate goal for Rathkenny temporarily worried the Dunshaughlin supporters on the Simonstown terrace, but on the field Dunshaughlin were unfazed. Richie Kealy pointed and was involved in the next attack, working well with Caoimhin King to set up Staunton. The last score of the game came from the boot of Richie Kealy but it was the industry of Martin Reilly showing a never give up attitude late in the game which created the chance. Dunshaughlin ran out worthy winners and best for Dunshaughlin were Anthony Johnson, Caoimhin King, Denis Kealy, Trevor Dowd and Conor Staunton Dunshaughlin - Ronan Gogan, Tommy Johnson, Ken McTigue, Anthony Johnson, Michael Aherne, Caoimhin King (0-1), Denis Kealy (1-0), David Crimmins, John Crimmins, Martin Reilly (0-5, 5 frees), Richie Kealy (0-2), Conor Staunton (1-3), Cathal O'Dwyer, Niall Kelly (0-1, 1 free), Trevor Dowd. Subs: Michael Johnson for David Crimmins (18 mins), Cillian Finn for Cathal O'Dwyer (42 mins), Ciaran Farrelly for Anthony Johnson (49 mins)

Most Read Stories