SFC: Pat's shock Seneschalstown

May 02, 2009

Barry Campbell St Patricks
St Patrick's scored a surprise but deserved win over Seneschalstown in this Commons Hardware SFC Group A second round clash at Ashbourne on Friday night. St Patrick's 1-10 Seneschalstown 1-8 Niall Whearty finished with 1-4 as the wind-assisted Stamullen men put one over on Seneschalstown in the Group stages of the SFC for the second time in three campaigns. Boosted by the news that their scheduled first round clash with Simonstown has been refixed, St Pat's took the game to their fancied opponents and were never reeled after impressive midfielder Niall Mooney pointed them in front in the opening minutes. When Niall Whearty netted - following good work by Ray Russell and Barry Campbell - it was 1-3 to 0-2 after 14 minutes and seconds later the St Pat's lead was up to five points when their number 15 sent over. Shortly after Seneschalstown were revived when Joe Sheridan netted from a penalty kick following a foul on Brian Clarke. That score only offered temporary respite to the side that shocked holders O'Mahonys in the opening round as wing-back Mick Hagan and Campbell (free) left it 1-7 to 1-3 after 29 minutes. Seneschalstown might have been in bigger bother but for the efforts of 'keeper Davy Lyons and full-back Andrew Collins who kept out goal attempts from Niall Mooney and Cormac Sullivan respectively in quick succession around the 20-minute mark. At the other end St Pat's netminder Seamus Byrne did well to deny Brian Clarke a goal and by half-time the 2007 champions were 1-3 to 1-7 in arrears. Byrne came to his side's rescue again shortly after the restart when keeping out another goal effort from Brian Clarke. However when the latter player registered his only score of the hour the margin was down to two points, 1-5 to 1-7, with 34 minutes gone. A positive response saw St Pat's quickly double their advantage through Niall Whearty and Campbell (free). Facing the elements, Ciaran O'Hare's men were on the back foot for most of the time remaining but a tremendous rearguard action topped with a fine saves by Byrne from substitute Stephen Finnegan and Joe Sheridan ensured St Pat's held on for a merited success. St Patrick's - S. Byrne; K. Heffernan, D. Hagan, A. Reilly; M. Hagan (0-1), R. Russell, A. Mooney; K. Whearty (0-1, 45), N. Mooney (0-2); J. P. Ryan, D. Whyte, R. Kearns; B. Campbell (0-2, frees), C. O'Sullivan, N. Whearty (1-4, 0-1). Sub - D. Eustace for Ryan. Seneschalstown - D. Lyons; W. Smith, A. Collins, S. Sheridan; M. Carey (0-1), J. Cowley, G. Sheridan; B. Sheridan (0-2, frees), D. Sheridan; A. McCann, C. Macken, P. Carey; B. Clarke (0-1), J. Sheridan (1-2, 1-0 penalty), S. Clarke (0-2, frees). Subs - S. Finnegan for P. Carey, C. Duffy for S. Clarke. Referee - J. Farrelly (Syddan).

Most Read Stories