SFC: Rathkenny secure senior status

September 15, 2008

Rathkennys Brian Meade
Rathkenny held onto Senior status with a convincing 15 point margin over a disappointing Kilmainhamwood outfit in this Senior Relegation Final played in Drumconrath last Sunday September 14th. Rathkenny 2-12 Kilmainhamwood 0-3 It would have been hard to convince anyone of the final margin of victory when the half time score had Rathkenny in front by two. Sloppy finishing from the men in red and black saw them dominate in all areas except the scoreboard. Rathkenny opened up brightly with scores from Richie Timmons on six minutes and Darren Barron a minute later. The score line could have been greater had a Richie Timmons effort not rebounded off the crossbar to safety on eight minutes. Timmons struck over a tenth minute free as Rathkenny assumed control. However Kilmainhamwood, playing in their fourth consecutive relegation final, were not to be outdone when they hit the next two points from frees on 13 and 17 minutes to reduce the deficit to one. Rathkenny struck over a 27th minute Timmons free to lead 0-4 to 0-2 at break. Rathkenny started the second half in determined mood and an early brace of scores from Richie Timmons left Rathkenny four up on the five minute mark. Thomas Martin extended the lead two minutes later with a free before Rathkenny took a strong foothold on the game. Ten minutes into the second half David Donegan collected possession before a quick interchange with Thomas Martin left him in acres of space. His intelligent pass to brother John resulted in the ball being rifled to the corner of the net and Rathkenny were suddenly eight points to the good. A Thomas Martin free seconds later extended the lead further, however a great point from the touchline reduced the deficit on forty-two minutes but it proved to be Kilmainhamwoods' final entry on the scoreboard. For the last 18 minutes Rathkenny took total control. For the second time in four minutes John Donegan blasted to the net following a great passing move involving Owen Elliot, Thomas Martin, David Donegan back to Thomas Martin and full-forward Donegan blasting to the net to leave Rathkenny eleven up with 16 minutes remaining. Full of confidence at this stage Rathkenny added further scores from Thomas Martin and John Donegan to lead by 13 going into the final ten minutes. Rathkenny put on a host of subs in the final ten minutes. Among them was veteran campaigner Michael Reid who slotted in at corner forward instead of the usual corner back berth. He got his name on the scoreboard with five minutes remaining and it was left to John Donegan to kick over the games final score in the 58th minute. Rathkenny had heroes all over the pitch, but none more so than the excellent Brian Meade and David Donegan who created the launch pad for all Rathkennys' great work. Rathkenny - John Martin; Michael Macken, Donal Curtis, Matthew Brien; David Donegan, Paul Courtney, Tommy McKeever; Brian Meade, Ronan Curtis; Owen Elliott, Richie Timmons (0-5), Ivan Lenehan; Darren Barron (0-1), John Donegan (2-2), Thomas Martin (0-3). Subs - Michael Reid (0-1) for Barron (54), Derick Smith for T. Martin (56), Ronan Martin for Lenehan (57), Cody Reilly for Elliott (58), Daniel Timmons for McKeever (58), Brian Lenehan, Paul Mullery, Ross Smith, Tom Fleming, Alex Blake, Colin Curtis

Most Read Stories