IFC: Byrne burns off Dunderry challenge

September 06, 2008

Peadar Byrne outstanding for Ballinlough
Peader Byrne got the vital scores as Ballinlough booked an IFC last four spot with this hard-earned quarter-final win over Dunderry at sunny Bohermeen on Saturday evening. Ballinlough 1-8 Dunderry 0-9 The county senior player finished with 1-2 to his name and his brilliantly taken early goal gave Ballinlough a lead they never subsequently surrendered. Seamus Fagan provided the opening for the only goal of the game which arrived in the 4th minute and despite playing against a stiff breeze, Vinny Ryan's charges were 1-2 to 0-0 ahead before another four minutes had passed. Dunderry, who were too dependent on T. J. Garry for scores got the deficit down to a goal by half-time when it was 1-5 to 0-5. Despite playing against the elements thereafter, Dunderry - whose only defeat en route to this stage came against Carnaross - got the margin down to the minimum, 0-9 to 1-7, when T. J. Garry - who also put in a lot of graft - sent over a great effort in the 56th minute. Dunderry corner-back Kevin Slattery and Ballinlough substitute Derek Muldoon were red-carded as the game entered stoppage time. Then Ken Rothwell wrapped up the scoring for the side that lost their senior status at then end of last year with this third point of the hour. The losing side wasted too many scoring chances and substitute Bob Doherty was their only other scorer. He also had their best goal chance saved at the expense of a '45' by Ballinlough 'keeper James Higgins, two minutes after the restart. Garry landed a free from about 45 metres moments later. Nearly 11 second-half minutes elapsed before Ballinlough opened their second-half account, an excellent effort from Anthony Lynch. Another ten minutes were to pass before the eventual winners added to their tally, a fine effort from Byrne with Eugene O'Reilly creating the opening. Dunderry worked their way into contention after that bad start. Rothwell registered a brace of points for the 'Lough in the opening 20 minutes but was less of a scoring threat after John Kelleher moved from midfield to full-back with David Callaghan going to midfield. Ballinlough - whose only defeat thus far in the campaign was at the hands of St Ultan's - were particularly well served by Benji Smith in defence while at the other end Cian Mallon hit the post with a dipping effort in the 40th minute. Ballinlough - J. Higgins; B. Smith, P. Muldoon, R. Farrell; E. O'Reilly, L. Maguire, G. Smith; S. Fagan, Cian Mallon; D. Reilly, A. Lynch (0-3, 2 frees), P. Byrne (1-2); K. Devine, K. Rothwell (0-3), Colm Mallon. Subs - R. McGuinness for G. Smith (30 mins), D. Muldoon for D. Reilly (48 mins), P. Ryan for Fagan (53 mins). Dunderry - J. Brady; Darren Callaghan, David Callaghan, K. Slattery; C. Harte , E. Stephens, G. Newman; T. J. Garry (0-8, f0-5 frees), J. Kelleher; A. Coogan, M. Garry, A. Newman; T. Conaty, D. Clarke, S. Harte. Subs - B. Doherty (0-1) for M. Garry (25 mins), I. McCormack for Coogan (42 mins). Referee - J. Gordon (Walterstown).

Most Read Stories