U-21 HC semi-final: Guiney points the way for Model

August 23, 2014

Galway's Dean Higgins and Rhys Clarke of Wexford.
©INPHO/Cathal Noonan.

Wexford 1-21
Galway 1-19

Wexford will take on holders Clare in this year's All-Ireland U-21 HC final after they got the better of Galway by two points in an drama-packed second semi-final at Semple Stadium today.

Played in front of an attendance of 6,853, a return of 1-8 from Jack Guiney laid the foundations for the Model County's hard-earned victory.

Guiney's opposite number 10 Padraig Brehony was also in excellent scoring form and he hit 1-5 in the first half as Galway led by the narrowest of margins at the break - 1-14 to 1-13 - but it was Guiney and Wexford who were celebrating at the final whistle.

Brehony struck for the game's opening goal in the 20th minute but Guiney cancelled that out five minutes later.

Shane Moloney chipped in with four points for the Connacht outfit and Conor McDonald hit three for Wexford as the pendulum swung to and fro throughout the opening thirty minutes.

Maloney extended his side's lead three minutes after the resumption with a pointed free and Mannion continued where he left off in the first when sending over his sixth point a minute later.

The signs were ominous for the Leinster champions, who infamously faltered at the same stage of the competition 12 months ago when suffering a shock loss at the hands of Antrim, when Moloney opened up a four point gap but Garry Moore soon had them up and running in the second-half.

Two converted Guiney frees left just the bare minimum between the sides once again by the 40th minute - Galway 1-17, Wexford 1-16 - and Galway were left to curse their luck after a goal-bound effort by left corner-forward Jason Flynn rebounded of the Wexford woodwork.

The sides were level three minutes later thanks to a point on the run from Kevin Foley and another Guiney free, a long range effort from 55m out, edged JJ Doyle's men in front by the 47th minute.

With 10 minutes left on the clock there was nothing separating the sides after Mannion tapped over the equalising point and Galway were back in pole position when half-back Adrian Tuohy sent over from well inside his own half.

Five minutes to go and the sides was level again after another successful Guiney free - 1-19 to 1-19 - and it was Wexford who finished the strongest and points from Moore and Guiney finally broke Galway's brave resistance.

Wexford - O O'Leary; G Foley, L Ryan, E Conroy; A Kenny, S O'Gorman, J O'Connor; A Nolan (0-1), C Devitt (0-1); J Guiney (1-8, 0-7f), G Moore (0-3), P Foley (0-2); R Clarke, C McDonald (0-3), K Foley (0-3). Subs: J White for G Foley, P Sutton for R Clarke, S Cash for C Devitt, C O'Leary for P Foley.

Galway - S Mannion; D O'Donoghue, J Hanbury, P Killeen; B Keane, D Higgins, A Tuohy (0-1); C Diviney, E Burke (0-1); P Brehony (1-6), S Maloney (0-6, 3f), C Mannion (0-3); D Dolan, J Glynn (0-1), J Flynn. Subs: B Molloy (0-1) for D Dolan, E Brannigan for C Diviney, J Carr for J Flynn.

Referee - D Kirwan.

Most Read Stories