AIB Munster club SFC: Kilmurry crowned champions

December 06, 2009

Kilmurry players celebrate their AIB Munster club SFC win over Kerins O'Rahillys
Kilmurry Ibrickane (Clare) 0-7 Kerins O'Rahillys (Kerry) 0-6 A point in injury time from Evan Talty saw Kilmurry-Ibrickane stun Kerins O'Rahillys in a low scoring Munster decider in Limerick's Pairc na nGael. The sides were level at 0-4 apiece at the interval and the Kerry representatives were up against it on the restart as they had centre forward John O'Connor red carded. However, as the scores dried up on a miserable day, both sides shared four points between them and the game was level heading into added time. In those final few moments O'Rahillys had a Declan Quill goal disallowed for a square ball infringement and the Clare champions went down the field for the winning score from Talty which gave them their second provincial title in five years. As expected, O'Rahilly's started the returning David Moran at full forward and he immediately made his mark by landing a sixth minute point. John O'Connor and Declan Quill followed up with frees to give the Strand Road outfit an early 0-3 to 0-0 lead. But Kilmurry refused to panic and were back on level terms before a PJ Daly free edged them into a 0-4 to 0-3 lead after 20 minutes. Moran regained partiy at 0-4 apiece after sloppy marking left him free to collect and send over the equaliser in first half injury-time. O'Rahilly's hopes were dealt a blow in the 36th minute when O'Connor picked up two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds for an off-the-ball clash with Shane Hickey and then a late challenge on Kilmurry captain Enda Coughlan. But Quill was unerring from placed balls and pushed the Kerry side into a 0-5 to 0-4 lead. Shane Hickey then levelled for Kilmurry before Paul O'Connor fisted them in front. Quill equalised with his third free in the 56th minute but the real drama didn't come until injury-time when Quill's punched goal was disallowed for 'square ball' and Kilmurry immediately charged up the field to score the winning point through Talty, who had entered the fray midway through the second half. Kilmurry Ibrickane - D O'Brien; D Hickey, M Killeen, M McMahon; S Hickey (0-1), E Coughlan (0-1), D Callinan; P O'Connor, P O'Dwyer; M Hogan, I McInerney (0-2, 1f), S Moloney (0-1); M O'Dwyer, O O'Dwyer; J Daly (0-1, 1f). Subs: E Talty (0-1) for M Hogan (41 mins), N Downes for O O'Dwyer (47), P O'Dwyer for S Maloney (54), M McCarthy for J Daly (60). Kerins O'Rahilly's - D Hennessy; P Begley, M O'Shea, B O'Shea; G O'Grady, B Moran, R O'Callaghan; G Duffy, M Quirke; J O'Connor (0-1, 1f), BJ Keane, T O'Sullivan; BJ Walsh, D Moran (0-2), D Quill (0-3, 3f). Ref: M Condon (Waterford).

Most Read Stories