SFC: Gunne fires Kingscourt into decider

September 27, 2015

Killygarry's Mattie McKenna tries to stop Alan Clarke breaking out of defence during the Cavan SFC semi final at Breffni Park.

Kingscourt 1-11
Killygarry 1-9

Darragh Gunne struck for 1-4 as Kingscourt Stars paved their way into another senior championship final this evening at Killygarry's expense.

The Stars were in a commanding position before Gunne hit the top corner of Killygarry's net just before half-time, giving them a comfortable seven-point lead to work with for the second-half as the Crubany men had failed to score from play in the opening 30 minutes at Kingspan Breffni Park.

A goal from substitute Daniel Talbot ignited Ciaran O'Reilly's men to a certain degree, as they pulled within three after the dismissal of Kingscourt full-forward Joe Dillon, who will now miss next month's final bar his red card being rescinded on appeal.

Niall Lynch's men were still able to see out the win expertly with insurance scores from Barry Tully and Peter Corrigan to set-up a mouth-watering showdown with Castlerahan for the Oliver Plunkett Cup.


Kingscourt's fiery start to this semi-final mimicked that of their shock win over Cavan Gaels last weekend, running up a 0-6 to 0-1 lead after 14 minutes with Gunne and Barry Reilly doing all the damage between them.

Killygarry had registered a Brian Sheanon free but the signs were ominous for them with Gunne in sizzling form early on and the veteran corner-forward devastated them three minutes from the break.

After some great endeavour from Reilly and Ciaran Gorman around the centre, Gunne was put through on the edge of the square and lashed a fantastic finish past Paddy Galligan in the Killygarry goal, leaving it at 1-7 to 0-3 for the interval.

Lynch introduced former county senior Philip Tinnelly early in the second-half to sharpen his attack furthermore and when Gunne sent over another the one-way traffic looked set to resume.

Killygarry's contingent finally got their chance to let out a mighty roar two minutes later when Talbot was played through by a one-two from Ross Sheridan and the substitute fired to Kingscourt net.

It was very much game on after that, as Sheanon was put through by Martin Reilly for his first from play, reducing the red and blacks' arrears to four.

Keith McCabe cancelled out that one out but the Stars suffered a hammer blow on 43 minutes when Dillon saw red for lashing out at 'keeper Galligan, with referee Brendan Sweeney acting on his umpire's word.

Down to 14, Kingscourt would be made dig deep to hold on to their lead, which went down to three after frees from Sheanon and Reilly.

Noel McIntyre got a block on Conor Bates' goal effort at a vital stage ahead of Tully and Corrigan registering their valuable overs, which swung the pendulum safely back in the Meath border men's direction.

Reilly and Sheanon (2) stroked over the frees to keep the pressure on the would-be winners, but the second goal they required never came Killygarry's way as Kingscourt held out for their third final berth in four years.

Kingscourt: James Farrelly; Rory Sheridan, Padraic Faulkner, Shane Grey; Noel McIntyre, Alan Clarke, Keith McCabe (0-1); Barry Reilly (0-4, 3f), Ciaran Gorman; Ryan Carey, Barry Tully (0-1), Peter Corrigan (0-1); Darragh Gunne (1-4, 1f), Joe Dillon, Christy McGowan. Subs: Philip Tinnelly for C McGowan (33mins), Philly Smith for R Carey (46), Cian McArdle for N McIntyre (51), Tomas Malone for D Gunne (57), Thomas Wakely for S Grey (59), Ciaran Smith for P Corrigan (60).

Killygarry: Paddy Galligan; Eoin Smith, Padraig Cahill, Conor Connolly; Michael McGovern, Daryl McKenna, Ross Sheridan; Ryan Brady, Brendan Murray; Martin Reilly (0-2, 2f), Andy McGovern, Donal Thomas; Darragh Gannon, Mattie McKenna, Brian Sheanon (0-7, 6f). Subs: Conor Bates for E Smith (12mins, inj), Daniel Talbot (1-0) for C Connolly (26), Conor Smith for D Thomas (35), Fergal Clarke for A McGovern (55), Stephen McHugh for R Brady (57).

Ref: Brendan Sweeney (Ballymachugh)

Most Read Stories