Garrycastle Club Notes

October 08, 2018

Senior Championship, Semi-Final
Garrycastle exited this years senior championship at the semi-final stage at the hands of St.
Lomans in TEG Cusack Park on Sunday afternoon. The old adage of goals winning games was
certainly true here, as two second-half goals from St. Lomans were effectively the difference
between the teams.
On a bright day, but with a very strong wind blowing down the pitch from the Dunnes Stores
end, Garrycastle, playing with the wind in the first half, found themselves a point down
within the first minute. However, they responded immediately when a quick free was
pointed by Dessie Dolan. Garrycastle were having the better of the play in the early stages,
but a string of three wides in a row, the first from Gary McCallon after a patient build-up,
then from James Dolan after great work from Jonathan McGuire and Dessie, and finally
Dessie from a close-in free, gave some indication of the difficult conditions. A pointed from
Dessie following a foul on Doron Harte eased Garrycastle in front, before the best
opportunity for a goal in the first half went untaken, as an overhit pass from James Dolan
found Alex Gardiner in on goal, but his low shot fizzed across the face of the goal and wide.
Conor Cosgrove added two further points, the second from a free, to stretch Garrycastle's
lead by the middle of the first half. It took all of twenty minutes for St. Lomans to get their
second score, but this was immediately cancelled out with a free from Dessie. The
Garrycastle goal then had a narrow escape, with Anthony Larkin making a last ditch
clearance.  A point from play by James Sheerin extended the lead to four points with half-
time approaching, but then in the space of three minutes  no fewer than three Garrycastle
players were yellow-carded, and St. Lomans' John Heslin kicked two points, (one from a free
moved closer after some dissent was shown to the referee), to leave Garrycastle ahead by
two points at the break, on a scoreline of Garrycastle 0-6, St. Lomans 0-4.
The belief in the stand was that a two-point lead was not enough having played with the
wind, and this was brought starkly into focus when St. Lomans goaled with their first attack
of the second half. Smart use of the wind, saw a high ball being sent into the Garrycastle
square, and a failure to clear the danger, allowed a St. Lomans corner forward to turn and
shoot, and put his side into the lead. To their credit, Garrycastle rallied immediately and
levelled the game once again with a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove. However, St.
Lomans were making the best of the conditions in the first part of the second half, and took
the lead again with two points from the prolific John Heslin, (one from a free). Garrycastle
were struggling, with passes going astray and giving up possession cheaply, but levelled the
game once more with a superb pointed 45-meter kick from Alex Gardiner, and a free from
Conor Cosgrove.
Immediately, though, came the turning point of the match. Having put so much effort into
drawing level, Garrycastle were caught on the counter attack, when a hopeful St. Lomans
ball was allowed over the half-back line to find a St. Lomans corner forward in behind, and
he gave Shane Moran in the Garrycastle goal absolutely no chance with a powerful shot to
the back of the net. St. Lomans added another point from a free to open up a four-point gap
by the middle of the second half. The short kick-out strategy employed by Garrycastle was

also not working as planned, as St. Lomans pushed high up the field, making life very
difficult for Garrycastle to break out of their own half.
A pointed free from Conor Cosgrove narrowed the gap again, but then a trio of points for
the St. Lomans team, the last from a 45-meter free, extended their lead to six points with
eight minutes of normal time remaining. That was to be their last score however, and
Garrycastle pushed hard to reduce the lead. Alex Gardiner was fouled just on the edge of
the square, and Dessie tapped over the resultant free. Then, not long after being
introduced, a line ball decision against Ger Heneghan, when the ball did not seem to have
gone out, resulted in a straight red card for the same player, after the linesman brought the
referee's attention to something he had said.  
This seemed to spur the Garrycastle team onwards, and another pointed free from Dessie
with five minutes of normal time remaining narrowed the gap between the teams to four
points. As time played out Garrycastle had a couple of wides which could have closed the
gap further, but also were thankful to goalkeeper Shane Moran for a great stop right on the
end of normal time. Final attempts to push for scores caused some consternation for St.
Lomans when faced with high balls coming in, but they weathered the storm, and so it was
St. Lomans who advanced to the final in two week’s time.
Overall, the Garrycastle team will be disappointed with this result. Even with Dessie
orchestrating the Garrycastle attacking efforts, with the wind being such a major factor, a
wider cushion was needed at the half-time break for safety. A total of only two points from
open play also speaks of the difficulties Garrycastle had with getting scores from open play.
Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, James Dolan, Matthew
Guiheen, Mark Curley,  Doron Harte, James Sheerin (0-1), Tom O'Halloran, Conor Cosgrove
(0-5, 4f), Eoin Monaghan, Jonathan Mcguire, Alex Gardiner (0-1, 1 '45), Dessie Dolan (0-5,
John Gaffey for Anthony Larkin (43 mins), Michael Monaghan for Mark Curley (45 mins), Ger
Heneghan for Jonathan McGuire (47 mins), Jason Nugent for Dessie Dolan (55 mins).
= = = = =
Ladies Senior Championship Final
Garrycastle 0-09, Milltown 0-15
Commiserations to our Senior Ladies team who gave their all, but came up just short against
Milltown in the final played in Lakepoint Park, Mullingar, on Saturday afternoon.
= = = = =
Boys Under-16 Division 2 Semi-Final
Garrycastle 1-05, Moate All-Whites 1-13

Garrycastle's under-16 championship run came to an end on Sunday last, when we were
defeated by Moate All Whites on a scoreline of  1-13 to 1-5 in the Division 2 County Semi-
Although the scoreline would suggest a one sided affair this was far from the case. In fact
Garycastle led this game by 2 points with 15 minutes to go, and were  desperately unlucky
not to add to this lead after owning most of the possession in the second half. Ultimately a
two point lead was not enough. and a Moate purple patch saw them score a quick fire 1-2
to take the lead again with only minutes remaining.
This was enough to see the home team take their place in the final.
The early stages of the first half was an even affair with both teams trading scores, the
Garrycastle scores coming from Ben Kilkenny and some excellent frees from Tommy
Stephens. Moate seemed to be the livelier team in the closing stages of the first half and
rattled off some quick fire points to take a half time lead of 0-6 to 0-3.
Garrycastle came out of the traps very quickly in the second half and with the defence
getting on top and midfield taking control, the Garrycastle team quickly wrestled back the
Moate advantage with a goal from Ben Kilkenny and further points from Tommy and
Dermot Carey, putting us 2 points to the good. It was here that Garrycastle  could not
capitalise further and some good chances went a begging.
Moate took full advantage of this and 2 points brought them level. A Moate goal with
minutes remaining was a killer blow for Garrycastle, and with the momentum completely
switched, there looked to be only one winner at this stage. Moate added further scores in
stoppage time to run out winners on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-5.
Overall a very good year for our under-16s and plenty to build on for next season. Well done
to all the lads for a super effort especially in that second half when facing into a 3 point
deficit and a strong breeze. They faced a difficult task and fought so bravely to get
themselves back into the game.
Cian McCarty, John Dylan O'Shea, Cian Dowling, Adam Mulvihill, Unity Oviawe, Dermot
Carey, Cathal Redmond, Tommy Stephens, Daniel McManus, Ryan Cornally, Ben
Kilkenny, James Murphy, Nathan Breslin, Charlie O Connor, Luke Clinton.
Stephen Gaffey, Corey Nugent, Conor Donoghue, Eric Rogers (injured).

= = = = =
Jersey Sponsorship
At a jersey sponsor presentation in the club on Friday, Michael Ganly of Ganly’s Hardware,
our main club sponsor; and Paschal Dillon of Dans Tavern, our club associate sponsor;
presented new Jerseys for the Senior Mens and Senior Ladies team to club chairman
Michael Mannion, and Ladies Chairperson Sinead Denby.
The club wishes to express their gratitude to Ganly’s Hardware, and Dans Tavern, for their
continued support.
= = = = =
Best Wishes
Everyone in the club sends best wishes for a speedy recovery to Cathal Mannion who
suffered a serious knee injury in training.
= = = = =
Hearty congratulations to club legend O.J. (“Oliver”) Flanagan, who played a blinder on
‘Winning Streak’ on Saturday evening, managing to get in a plug for everyone from Flancare
to egg sales to Angus cattle breeding to the county semi-final! Indeed, except for one
unlucky choice at the end, he could have been spinning the big wheel! (it’s still not clear
though, why he picked the blue car in the first game…)
= = = = =
Under-12 Jim McHugh Memorial Tournament
The annual Jim McHugh Memorial under-12 tournament is reaching its conclusion, with
three finals decided during the week.
In the trophy final, Lilliput Gaels overcame Milltownpass. In the Plate final, it was St.
Manchan Gaels who triumphed over The Downs, and in the Shield final, Athlone came out
on top against Millmore Gaels.
The cup final between Shandonagh and St. Mary’s Rochfortbridge is scheduled for Monday
evening in Garrycastle.
= = = = =

The numbers drawn were 7, 9, 25, 30 . The jackpot was not won. There were three match-3
winners; Bernie McEnroe c/o Derek Dolan, Denise Dolan c/o Derek Dolan and Bernie
McEnroe c/o Derek Dolan.
Each wins €35.
This week’s jackpot is raised to €3000.

Most Read Stories