FL3: Cork and Tipp win on the road

February 02, 2020

Louth's Tommy Durnin has his jersey pulled by Tipperary's Colm O'Shaughnessy.

Cork made it two wins from two in Division 3 of the Allianz Football League after accounting for Leitrim by 1-15 to 0-9 in Avantcard Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada.

Former Aussie Rules player Ciaran Sheehan scored the only goal in first half injury-time as Ronan McCarthy's men maintained their push for Tier 1 championship football and promotion straight back to Division 2 in impressive fashion. Keith Beirne, who top-scored with 0-7, opened the scoring for the home side before the Rebels took control with points from Cathal O'Mahony, John O'Rourke and Sheehan.

Sheehan's goal was followed by a Thomas Clancy point as the visitors took a 1-7 to 0-3 lead into the interval.

The result was never in doubt after that as five points from substitute Luke Connolly helped Cork to the win.

Tipperary also remain unbeaten after Brian Fox's injury-time point gave them a 0-11 to 1-7 victory over Louth in Drogheda.

The Wee County, who lost to Longford in the opening round, led by 0-5 to 0-2 at half-time and looked set for their first home win in a year when midfielder Tommy Durnin scored the only goal shortly after the restart. But Tipp, who drew with Down last weekend, came from four points down in the final 10 minutes to claim their first win.

Today's other Division 3 game between Offaly and Longford at Bord na Mona O'Connor Park ended in a 0-10 apiece draw.

In what was a repeat of the recent O'Byrne Cup final, which Longford won by four points, the sides were level five times in the first half before Padraic Davis' side took a one-point lead into the break. Darren Gallagher doubled the visitors' advantage after the restart before Anton Sullivan and the excellent Gallagher traded points.

But Offaly, who suffered a late fadeout against Cork last weekend, regained parity in the 50th minute thanks to two Bernard Allen frees. Substitute Conor McNamee then fired against the butt of the post before Dessie Reynolds restored Longford's two-point lead.

However, Offaly salvaged a share of the spoils through late scores from Ruairi McNamee (free) and captain Niall Darby.

Cork - M Martin; S Powter, T Clancy (0-1), S Ryan; T Corkery (0-1), K Crowley, M Taylor; I Maguire, B Hartnett; J O’Rourke (0-1), S White (0-1), R Deane; M Hurley, C Sheehan (1-2), C O’Mahony (0-3, 2f). Subs: L Connolly (0-5, 2f, 1m) for M Hurley, K O’Driscoll for C O’Mahony, P Kerrigan (0-1) for J O’Rourke, C Kiely for S Powter, R Harkins for C Sheehan.

Leitrim - D McKiernan; C Reynolds, F McTague, P Maguire; A Flynn, J Gilheany, C McGloin; D Wrynn, S Moran; S Quinn, D McGovern, D Flynn; O McCaffrey, D Rooney, K Beirne (0-7, 5f). Subs: R Mulvey (0-1) for F McTague, P Dolan for O McCaffrey, E Sweeney (0-1) for D Rooney, R O’Rourke for J Gilheany, O McLoughlin for S Moran.

Referee - P Maguire.


Tipperary - E Comerford; A Campbell, J Meagher, C O'Shaughnessy; E Moloney, K Fahey (0-1), D Brennan; S O’Brien, Conal Kennedy; B Maher, J Kennedy (0-1f), J Lonergan; Liam Boland (0-1), C Sweeney (0-3, 2f, 1sl), B Fox (0-2). Subs: K O’Halloran (0-1) for J Lonergan, R Quigley for B Maher, A Moloney (0-2) for Conal Kennedy, Colman Kennedy for Liam Boland.

Louth - C Lynch; D Corcoran, E Carolan (0-1), F Donohoe; E Callaghan, D Callaghan, J Clutterbuck; J Califf, T Durnin (1-1, 0-1m); L Jackson, B Duffy, P Matthews; C Downey, C Grimes, S Mulroy (0-5, 2f, 1m). Subs: G Garland for L Jackson, E Duffy for C Grimes, C Early for P Matthews, O Murray for D Corcoran, A Mooney for F Donohoe.

Referee - J Hickey.


Offaly - P Dunican; D Dempsey, E Rigney, C Doyle; E Carroll, D Hogan, N Darby (0-1); C Mangan, M Brazil; S Horan, R McNamee (0-2, 1f), J Hayes; B Allen (0-4, 3f), A Sullivan (0-3), C Johnson. Subs: C McNamee for C Johnson, C Donoghue for J Hayes, C Donnelly for A Sullivan.

Longford - P Collum; P Fox, A Farrell, B O’Farrell; I O’Sullivan, G Rogers, CP Smyth; D Gallagher (0-5, 1f), K Diffley; M Quinn, D McElligott, D Reynolds (0-2); D Mimnagh, R Brady (0-1), O Kenny (0-2). Subs: J Hagen for D McElligott, D Doherty for O Kenny, L Connerton for I O’Sullivan.

Referee - L Devenney.


Most Read Stories