SFC Group A: Nine-point turnaround wins it for Skryne

April 21, 2019

Navan O'Mahony's Oisin O'Brien is put under pressure by Darragh Campion Skryne during the Meath SFC clash at Simonstown

Skryne recovered from the concession of two early goals to overcome O'Mahonys in this engrossing clash at Simonstown on Saturday evening. 

Skryne .............. 3-13
O'Mahonys ........ 2-13

Star man Paddy O'Rourke led the scoring charge with 2-5, including a goal from a 42nd minute penalty that earned Skryne a lead they took to the finish. 

Seconds later the former county 'keeper set up Ian Davis for his side's third goal. 

The outcome makes it two wins from two for Skryne. Kevin Reilly's men came into this fixture looking for their second win. 

A bit more composure in front of goal in the latter stages might have seen O'Mahonys regain parity. The Brews Hill side posted two of the last three scores of the hour - Shane Gillespie and Oisin O'Brien (both frees). 

In between sub Paddy Fox notched his side's clinching score for their second win of the campaign. 

Former county senior manager Mick O'Dowd was a notable presence on the sideline for the Tara-men. An absence of panic from Skryne was apparent even when they fell two goals off the pace.

Barely 100 seconds had elapsed when Oisin O'Brien netted for the Brews Hill side at the town end. Cathal Smyth also got off the mark as O'Mahonys moved five points clear inside four minutes. 

Stephen Bray netted O'Mahonys' second goal, in the 11th minute, with Shane Gillespie assisting, to leave the board reading 2-2 to 0-2.

Both goalies were pressed into service around the midpoint of the half with Marcas Brennan denying Skryne's Niall Morley in the 13th minute. Five minutes later Ian Gillett turned Oisin O'Brien's goal attempt onto a post from where it was scrambled to safety. 

Six points on the spin saw Skryne regain parity, 0-8 to 2-2, by the 24th minute with O'Rourke contributing some top notch scores to the sequence. 

O'Mahonys reeled off three points in response, with Stephen Bray getting the sequence going before Dylan Regan and Shane Gillespie added. 

Scores were tied  for the second time in the 29th minute when Paddy O'Rourke made a fine fetch before firing to the net. 

Skryne added points through Niall Morley and O'Rourke - the latter one of many standout scores by the number 14. He started in his listed position before dropping to the midfield area. He spent most of the second-half around the '40'.

The team in royal blue jerseys led by 1-10 to 2-5 at the break. Inside eight minutes of the second-half, O'Mahonys outscored Skryne by 0-4 to 0-1 and seemed to have revived their bid to for a second win of the campaign.

Instead that two-goal blitz proved pivotal and set Skryne up for a deserved win having outscored O'Mahonys by 3-11 to 0-11 from the 11th minute.

Skryne - Ian Gillett; Niall Lenehan, Michael Doherty, David Carroll; Ronan McCabe, Stephen O'Brien, Robbie Clarke; Ciaran Lenehan (0-1), Daragh Campion (0-2); Eoghan Greene, Ian Davis (1-0), Colm Doherty; Niall Morley (0-2), Paddy O'Rourke (2-5, 1-0 pen, 0-2 fs), Mark Battersby (0-1). Subs - Paddy Fox (0-2) for McCabe (ht), Mark Harrington for Clarke (60).

O'Mahonys - Marcas Brennan; Eimhin Power, Niall McKeigue, Mike O'Reilly; Gary O'Brien (0-1), Darragh Maguire, Evan Coffey; Conor Finnegan, Niall McGrane; Cathal Smyth (0-1), Dylan Regan (0-1), David Dillon (0-2); Shane Gillespie (0-2, 1f), Stephen Bray (1-1), Oisin O'Brien (1-4, 0-2fs). Subs  Shane Crosby for Coffey (ht), David Bray (0-1) for Regan (35), - 

Referee - Liam O'Brien (Duleek-Bellewstown)

Most Read Stories