JFC B: Purple patch see's Reds squeeze through

April 19, 2019

Drumconrath's Stephan Crosby

Drumconrath 2-13 St Marys 2-11

Drumconrath just 5 days after their heavy round 1 defeat headed for Castletown for Round 2 of the Junior B Football Championship.

It was felt by their loyal band of followers that the recent game with Kilbride would give the lads some advantage as St Marys had been idle but for most of the opening quarter rustiness would have been a mild adjective to use and maybe corroded may have been closer.

A disputed goal after 20 minutes seemed to liven up the Reds as the Referee called back play and when after consullation with an umpire declared that the shot which was parried by Declan Lafferty had hit the post and then an idle water bottle and had the bottle not been there would in his estimation have crossed the line.

The half had started with Drumconrath giving the ball away, loosing possession, kicking wides and generally falling around the place while St Marys kicked the 1st 2 points of the game. Drums did sort of get their act together with Sean McMahon winning primary possession and out scored the opposisition 4 to 2 for the rest of the quarter to somehow be level 0-4 each as Tomas Conlon, Robert McEntaggart, Daniel Byrne and a well struck 45 by Keeper Lafferty all pointed.

Marys pointed twice and then added the afore mentioned goal to go 5 ahead as Drumconrath through Byrne and a Stephan Crosby free trailed 1-6 to 6 at the break.

Drumconrath showed intent at the start of the 2nd half but tallied 5 wides as St Marys added a point to their tally to lead by 4. Drumconrath where playing better and 2 points from Crosby and another from McEntaggart had it 1-9 to 0-9 as the 3rd quarter ended.

On 47 minutes Crosby was again dragged down and after a bit of treatment it was left to Pado farrelly to take the free and lo and behold Drumconrath had a bit of Luck as the ball decieved all and nestled in the net to level the game. On the kickout Drums won the ball and quickly transfered it to Daniel Byrne and Drumconrath had 2 goals within 30 seconds, the patch got Purpler as Byrne pointed again to put Drums 2-10 to 1-9 ahead. What a turn around and all with 90 seconds.

Crosby added a free on 52 minutes but St Marys replied likewise. Patrick Dunne got forward to add a point but 1-1 in quick reply had the gap back to a point as St Marys looked to salvage some from a game they looked to have control of for a time.

Jamie Myles added a point on 64 minutes after good defensive play and while St Marys mounted a last attack it came to nought and was cleared down pitch.

Drumconrath left the field relived having won their 1st Championship game since 2017 and can look forward to the Championship break knowing they are still in contention.

Drumconrath; Declan Lafferty (0-1); Peter Tighe, David O'Halloran, Colm McEvoy; Daragh Dunne, Cathal Dunne, Patrick Dunne (0-1); Tomas Conlon (0-1), Stephan Crosby (0-4); Jamie Myles (0-1), Sean McMahon, Robert McEntaggart (0-2); Patrick Farrelly (1-0), Daniel Byrne (1-3), Cathal McEvoy. Sub Thomas Duff for McEvoy

Most Read Stories