Feis Cup final: Gaeil Colmcille go one better than last year

November 04, 2018

Brian Hanlon Gaeil Colmcille with Ciaran O Fearraigh during the Feis Cup final at Pairc Tailteann

Gaeil Colmcille fended off a late Ratoath rally to claim the Feis Cup final at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday.

Gaeil Colmcille ...... 1-13
Ratoath ................ 0-14

To view photos from this game click here

In a game that ebbed and flowed, the Kells-men started well and responded appropriately when Ratoath rallied. 

Lar Wall's men were never headed. When the scores were tied for the only time, in the run-in to half-time, Gaeil Colmcille's response was a brace of points to lead by 0-10 to 0-8 at the break. 

From the resumption, Gaeil Colmcille gradually put some distance between themselves and the beaten SFC quarter-finalists (Ratoath lost to Donaghmore-Ashbourne).

Gaeil Colmcille, who were well beaten by Donaghmore-Ashbourne in last year's Feis Cup final moved four points ahead, 0-12 to 0-8, heading into the final quarter. 

Then in the 48th minute Oisin Reilly and sub Martin Barrett combined to place Fionn Reilly for the game's only goal. 

Seven points clear with almost 50 minutes on the clock, Gaeil Colmcille looked set for silverware.

Playing into the Commons Road end, Ratoath rallied to post six points on the bounce. Bryan McMahon finished with eight points to his credit while subs David McGowan (a magnificent free from the right wing) and Aidan Murray also pointed. 

Ciaran O Fearraigh put in a strong showing in defence while McMahon's workrate also yielded scores for Fergal Power's side 

McMahon's eighth score (free), in the 59th minute, trimmed the deficit to the minimum. A splended Liam Ferguson mark led to Oisin Reilly's point in the third minute of added time. It saw Gaeil Colmcille through the remainder of the four minutes of stoppage time.  

Gaeil Colmcille were quicker out of the blocks and went 0-7 to 0-1 ahead after 11 minutes. McMahon's first score was Ratoath only score in this phase.

Ratoath soon found momentum and by the 19th minute had cut the gap to the minimum, 0-6 to 0-7.

A Brian Hanlon free temporarily halted Ratoath's gallop. By the 25th minute, a McMahon free left the scores tied, 0-8-each.

Gaeil Colmcille's replied positively with points from Fionn Ferguson and Evan Sheridan reach half-time leading 0-10 to 0-8. 

From the restart, Gaeil Colmcille gradually moved clear. When Brian Hanlon completed his six-point tally in the 37th minute it was 0-12 to 0-8. Aproaching the midpoint of the half, the team in white and red could have bagged a brace of goals. 

Hanlon's 43rd minute free from distance almost yielded a three-pointer. Seconds later Fionn Reilly lost control of the ball in a good position. He made up for it with the aforementioned goal. 

Gaeil Colmcille - Justin Carry-Lynch; Adam Muldoon, Barry Smith, James Reilly; Conal Courtney, Fionn Reilly (1-1), Johnny Quigley; Cian Doogan, Oisin Reilly (0-1); Evan Sheridan (0-1), Seamus Mattimoe (0-1), Liam Ferguson; Seanie Curran, Fionn Ferguson (0-2), Brian Hanlon (0-6, 3fs). Subs - Barry Tormey for Doogan (44), Martin Barrett for F Ferguson (45), Cormac Keegan for E Sheridan (58), Paul Tormey for Reilly (64).

Ratoath - Darragh McPartlin; Ciaran O Fearraigh, Conor McGill, Darragh McGill; Ben Wyer, Gavin McGowan, Emmet Boyle (0-1); Brian Power (0-1), Ben McGowan; Jack McGowan, Conor Rooney (0-1), Keith McCabe; Gareth Rooney, Bryan McMahon (0-8, 2fs), Connell Ahearne (0-1). Subs - David McGowan (0-1f)  for Wyer (ht), Cian Rogers for G Rooney (39), Sean Johnson for Jack McGowan (45), Aidan Murray (0-1) for McCabe (53).

Referee - David Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels).

Most Read Stories