FL Div 1: Maximum points for Gaeil Colmcille

February 12, 2018

Brian Hanlon Gaeil Colmcille

Gaeil Colmcille 3-11 Dunshaughlin 0-09

Gaeil Colmcille welcomed Dunshaughlin up the M3 for the third round fixture of the A League. 

Gaeil Colmcille playing against a stiff breeze in the first half got the opening score of the game thanks to a point by Brian Hanlon in the third minute. Dunshaughlin responded well and went 0-02 to 0-01 up with consecutive points but it would be the only time they'd be ahead in the match when on 9 minutes Hanlon fisted a ball to an empty net to put Kells ahead by two points. Kells tagged on four extra points before half time with two points from Seamus Mattimoe and two from Hanlon to leave Kells 1-05 to 0-04 up at the break. 

Dunshaughlin pulled within two points with the opening two scores of the half but for a point from Martin Barrett steadied the ship for Kells. A Stephen Reddy point and another goal for Hanlon saw the Kells men pull away. As the snow pelted down a 15 minute cameo from Barry Farrelly saw the speedy forward pick up 1-02 to see the Kells men pick up their third win out of as many games in this year's league campaign and sit top of division 1.

Gaeil Colmcille: J Carry-Lynch, C Ferguson, B Smith, B Tormay, P Tormay, J Quigley, J Reilly, C Doogan, S Curran, F Ferguson, M Barrett 0-1, L Ferguson, S Reddy 0-1, S Mattimoe 0-4, B Hanlon 2-3. 

Subs: J Muldoon for Quigley, C Keegan for Doogan, B Farrelly 1-2 for F Ferguson, C Courtney for Reddy, K Reilly and D Muldoon.

Dunshaughlin Report

Dunshaughlin 0-09 Gaeil Colmcille 3-11

It was 'four seasons in one day' in Grangegodden as the home team came out on top by 11 points. Spectators saw everything from great scores to poor passing, to wind, sun and heavy snow.

Gaeil Colmcille looked the better team and deserved their win. Dunshaughlin played with the elements in the first half but didn't take advantage. It was fairly tight throughout the first ten minutes. The away team played some good football in this period and scored some excellent points from builder Ben Duggan and Eoin Hagarty. Hagarty's point was created through some brilliant build up play involving Cian Gallogly. Gallogly showed well in the early stages but didn't get enough ball played into him to have a real effect on proceedings.

Kells struck for their first goal on 11 minutes and didn't look back. Dunshaughlin could have responded with an easy free but they decided to go short and the Kells keeper made a good save from a Hagarty shot. The only other highlight of the half saw Fergus Toolan go on a powerful run and take a great score from distance. Sub Niall Byrne added one on the stroke of half time as Dunshaughlin trailed by 1-05 to 0-04.

Young Paddy Maher came on at the break but obviously didn't fancy the snow as he was black carded early in the half, although on reflection the referee should have given a yellow. Dunshaughlin did try hard with Josh Wall putting in a good shift and Ben Duggan showing excellent work rate as he always does. The away team needed a few more Ben Duggan's if they were going to close the deficit. The game was effectively over midway through the second half as Kells netted their second goal. For the remaining 12 minutes they outscored Dunshaughlin 1-4 to 0-02.

Dunshaughlin: A.Smith, J.Wall, C.King, J.Hetherington, D.Dunne, R.Geraghty, T O'Dushlaine, B.Duggan (0-2), A.Kealy, T.Johnson, F.Toolan (0-2), S.Gallogly, C.Gallogly, E.Hagarty (0-1), T.Kinsella. Subs: N. Byrne (0-2), P.Maher, W.Goodwin, M. McHugh

Most Read Stories