MFC Div 2 final replay: Corrigan secures title for 'Tones

November 20, 2017

Donal Matthews can't prevent Wolfe Tones Evan Corrigan from finding the back of the Summerhill net during the Meath MFC Diovision 2 final at Pairc Tailteann. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THIS GAME CLICK HERE

Evan Corrigan's 60th minute goal decided an exciting MF Division 2 final replay at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

Wolfe Tones ...... 4-12
Summerhill ........ 2-16

Corrigan fisted Caolan Ward's 40-metre free to the net at the town end and regained the lead for Wolfe Tones who fell into arrears twice in the second-half.

Over five additional minutes afforded Summerhill the chance to regain the lead, but a diligent 'Tones defence held firm

An engrossing contest - just like the drawn encounter - saw the scores tied four times over the hour - three after the interval.

Both teams enjoyed spells in front and Diarmuid McCabe's 59th minute point (with help from Liam Shaw) restored Summerhill's lead. Then came Corrigan's goal.

Shaw pulled a point back for Summerhill in the fourth minute of added time. It was left to Evan Corrigan to send over the insurance score.

Shaw - who scored 0-10 in the draw encounter including the late leveller - finished with 1-9 to his name here. He was the only Summerhill player to post more than three points.

Summerhill had a better spread of scorers - six to five - however, three of Wolfe Tones' scorers posted more than three points or its equivalent.

Wolfe Tones played out the the final 10 minutes (including added time) with 14 players following the dismissal of Oisin Corrigan on receipt of a second yellow card.

Work rate then compensated for numerical deficiency with Rioghan and team captain Oisin MacGhinneartai to the fore for Cathal O'Bric's charges.

An engaging first-half - that produced five goals - got off to an exciting starting. Within 17 seconds Conor Frayne pointed Summerhill ahead. The first minute hadn't elapsed when a foul on Aaron Toolan led to a penalfy for Wolfe Tones.

Caolan Ward tucked it away with aplomb with his left foot. Summerhill were back on terms by the fifth minute when Shaw opened his account.

A minute later the 'Tones netted again through Saran O Fionnagain with assistance from Evan Corrigan. The Kilberry-Oristown-Wilkinstown outfit remained in front until the 44th minute.

Wolfe Tones 'keeper Laochra O Fionnagain denied Jamie O'Shea's 13th minute goal attempt. Summerhill got the gap down to the minimum by the 21st minute when Shaw's speculative effort into the town end wound up in the 'Tones net, 2-3 to 1-5.

Wolfe Tones responded well to this temporary setback and Evan Corrigan's 25th minute goal - with Rioghan MacGhinneartai and Aaron Tolan in supporting roles - boosted them to a 3-4 to 1-5 interval lead.

From the restart, Summerhll fell four points behind before setting about trimming the deficit. Six points on the spin left them 2-13 (19) to 3-8 (17) clear by the 50th minute.

Points from Ward (free) and O Fionnagain tied the scores again before the pendulum swung Summerhill's way. Shaw placed Frayne for the point that left the south county side one point ahead. 2-15 to 3-11, after 59 minutes. Then came O Corrigan's decisive intervention.

Wolfe Tones -.Laochra O Fionnagain; Jake McFadden, Alan Lynam, Mark McFadden; Rowhan Murray, Oisin MacGhinneartai (C), Peter Carroll; Caolan Ward (1-4, 1-0 pen, 0-3 fs), Rioghan MacGhinneartai; Oisin Corrigan (0-1), Aaron Tolan, Iarlaith O'Kelly-Lynch 0-1; Oisin Martin, Saran O Fionnagain (1-3), Evan Corrigan (2-3). Subs - Ben Lowe for Tolan, Conal O Fearraigh for Lynam (60).

Summerhill - Conor Ryan; Donal Matthews, Ronan Larkin, Kyle Cosgrove; Tommy Troy, John Keane, Jack Bannon; Diarmuid McCabe (0-3), Sean Blackwell; Conor Sommerville (0-1), Liam Shaw (C) (1-9, 0-8 fs), Jamie Ryan; Jamie O'Shea (0-1), Conor Frayne (0-2), Kian Hussey (1-0). Subs - Luke Moran for Ryan (ht), Jonathan Nangle for Troy (41), Gavin McVann for McCabe (bs 45-47), McVann for Keane (bc 55).

Referee - Patrick Nelis (Kilmainham)

Most Read Stories