Davis Cup Final: Kearney hits 13 as Kildalkey retain title

October 17, 2017

Nothing easy in the Brendan Davis Cup final at Kildalkey

Kildalkey 0-23 Killyon 0-13

Kildalkey met their old rivals Killyon on Saturday in the Brendan Davis Cup final and pulled away in the second half to win by 10 points after a close first half where the sides went in at half time 0-8 each.

The game was lucky to go ahead at all after a heavy nights rain which left underfoot conditions soft to say the least but thanks to the groundsman Tony Costello it was deemed playable and went ahead in front of a large attendance..

Kildalkey started brightly and hit the front through a Paddy Conneely point but Killyon hit back straight away and that's the way the first half went with one team going ahead by a point and the other pulling one back.

Conor Kearney's accuracy from placed balls kept the village men in touch and he hit 13 points in all 11 coming from frees. The sharp shooter got five of Kildalkey's first half total while Evan Fitzgerald got 2. 

David Raleigh with 2, Keith Keogan, Ray Massey, Mikey Mullen and Ger Foley kept the scoreboard ticking for the Killyon men in a tight but well contested first half.

Kildalkey were down to 14 when James McNally was sent off midway through the half but coped well and went in even at the break.

Evan Fitzgerald got the ball rolling with the first point of the second half with Kearney again accurate from frees and Paddy Conneely also hitting the target as Kildalkey opened up a 0-14 to 0-11 lead.

Killyon's Stefan Kelly was sent off midway through the second half as Kildalkey were getting on top and their superior fitness came to the fore as the hit an array of scores through the hard working Luke Rickard, Maurice Keogh and Enda Keogh.

Four more frees from Kearney and a beauty from play and a Martin Healy point on the right wing left the blues in front at the long whistle.

Paul Fagan had another great game in the goals. The Kildalkey rearguard were outstanding as they've been all year with everyone of them sticking to their task brilliantly. Midfielder's Sean Heavey and Paddy Potterton worked tirelessly throughout and up front Kearney and Enda Keogh and Rickard worked well in the soft conditions.

After the game Brendan Davis's son Thomas presented the cup to the Kildalkey captain Podger Geoeghan.

Kildalkey: P Fagan, P Geoeghan, E Fitzgerald, M Doran, B Kelly, M Keogh (0-1), D Harmon, P Potterton, S Heavey, E Fitzgerald (0-3), L Rickard (0-1), J McNally, C Kearney (0-13)(11f), E Keogh (0-1), P Coneely (0-3). Subs: G Kelly for Evan Fitzgerald, P Keogh for L Rickard, Mark Healy for S Heavey, Martin Healy (0-1) for P Potterton, E Potterton for E Keogh 

Most Read Stories