Davis Cup: Kilmessan are the first winners.

July 07, 2013

Kilmessan keeper Mark Brennan is put under pressure by Dunboyne,s John watters during the Davis Cup final at Kildalkey. TO VIEW A SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS GAME CLICK HERE
Kilmessan claimed the very first Davis Cup after a very exciting final day victory over Dunboyne at Kildalkey. Extra time was needed to decide the outcome.

Kilmessan 1-17
Dunboyne 1-16

Dunboyne held a four point advantage at the end of the opening half. Kevin Keena opened the scoring for Kilmessan. Gary Watters put Dunboyne ahead with a goal and a point. Sean Quigley stretched the lead to four before three Darren Reilly points levelled matters. Reilly added another two points to the Kilmessan tally before the break but four white flags from Neil Hackett and one from Niall Smyth gave Dunboyne a 1-7 to 0-6 interval lead.

Danny Maguire and Reilly added to the Kilmessan total early in the second half. Hackett (2) and Stephen Moran extended Dunboyne's lead before Kilmessan enjoyed their best period in the game. Veteran Anto O'Neill got a goal, Reilly added two points and another veteran Ger O'Neill put his name on the score sheet to give Kilmessan a 1-11 to 1-10 lead with 20 minutes gone. Barry Watters levelled matters before Quigley gave St Peters the lead. Reilly and Eoin Marsh put Kilmessan ahead again with the game in injury time and just when victory seemed theirs Quigley popped up with the equaliser and extra time was needed. Score at the end of normal time Kilmessan 1-13 Dunboyne 1-13.

Kilmessan held a 1-16 to 1-14 lead at the end of the first period of extra time with scores from Darren Reilly (2) and Danny Maguire. Neil Hackett replied for Dunboyne. Two Hackett points in the second period had the teams level again and a replay seemed on the cards until that man Darren Reilly sent over the winner with seconds to go.

After the game members of the Davis family presented the Brendan David Cup to Kilmessan captain Mark Brennan.

Kilmessan scorers: Darren Reilly 0-12, Anto O'Neill 1-0, Danny Maguire 0-2, Ger O'Neill, Kevin Keena and Eoin Marsh 0-1 each.

Dunboyne scorers: Neil Hackett 0-9, Gary Watters 1-1, Sean Quigley 0-3, Niall Smyth, Stephen Moran and Gary Watters 0-1 each.

Kilmessan: Mark Brennan, Padraig Maguire, Shane Brennan, Patsy McGovern, Richie Donnelly, Peter Farrell, Charles Keena, Darren Reilly, Martin Horan, Paul Grimes, Eoin Marsh, Sean Doyle, Danny Maguire, Kevin Keena, Pauric Burke.
Subs : Anto O Neill - Seanie Doyle, Ger O Neill- Paul Grimes, Seanie Doyle - Pauric Burke, Tony Horan (Extra time sub), Pauric Burke- Seanie Doyle.

Referee Stephen Masterson Kildalkey

Most Read Stories