JFC semi-finals: Glyde through to final but await opponents

September 16, 2019

Ciaran Sheridan - Glyde Rangers

Glyde Rangers made it through to their third successive Junior Championship Final after holding on to defeat Na Piarsaigh by 0-14 to 0-12. However, they will have to wait to find out who their opponents will be after Roche Emmets and Lannleire played out a draw in the other semi-final.

In a game played in very poor conditions at Haggardstown on Sunday afternoon, the Tallanstown side had to survive a couple of late scares before claiming a two-point win.

Glyde went into the game as favourites to advance but they didn’t have it all their own way, particularly in the first half which ended level at six points apiece.

Trevor O’Brien and Ciaran Sheridan led the scoring for the Mid Louth side while Alan McCartney and Robbie Murphy were among those on target for the Dundalk men.

Brian Duffy and O’Brien helped edge the Mid Louth side ahead in the second half but they were unable to kill the game off as Na Piarsaigh kept themselves in with a shout. In the closing stages the Dundalk men made a brave effort to save the game but saw Alan McCartney and Ciaran Murphy come agonisingly close to finding the net.

However, Glyde held out for victory and will be hoping to make it third time lucky in the final.

Roche Emmets and Lannleire will have to meet again next week to decide who will play in the Junior Championship Final after they couldn’t be separated at the end of a lively encounter in Stabannon on Friday night.

Both teams had opportunities to win the game but in the end it was Lannleire who were the more relieved as late points from Killian Gregory and Alan Murphy that sent the game to a replay.

Kevin Callaghan was in fine form for the Faughart side in the early exchanges as he helped them move five points clear. However, Lannleire were given a lifeline when Paul Callan scored his first goal of the evening.

However, Roche remained on top for the rest of the half and at the break were leading by 0-9 to 1-2.

Within five minutes of the restart the Dunleer men were level thanks to Callan’s second goal and an Ian Mulroy point, and at the end of the third quarter Niall Lennon got in for another goal to put his side 3-5 to 0-12 in front.

It looked as if Roche had done enough to snatch victory when they kicked the next four points of the game, but Lannleire had the final say as points from Gregory and Murphy saw them snatch a draw.

Most Read Stories