FL1 round-up: Mairtins finish top of the pile

August 12, 2019

Nh Mairtin finished top of Division 1 after scoring a 5-8 to 1-10 win over Clan na Gael in Dundalk on Friday night.

The first half proved to be a close affair and it was a Paul Berrill goal that saw his side go in with a 1-3 to 0-5 lead. Billy Smith, Robbie Curran and Mark McGeown were among the points for the hosts.

The second half saw the Mairtins take control and goals from Sam Mulroy, Eoghan Callaghan, Stephen Campbell and Fra McCullough saw them come out on top with Billy Smith replying for Clans.

There was further disappointment for the Dundalk men as Cooley’s draw with St Pats means that Clans find themselves in the promotion/relegation play-off place.

Fearghal Malone was the hero for the Kickhams as he landed an injury-time score to give his side a 12 points apiece draw in Lordship.

It wasn’t looking good for the visitors as they trailed by five points with ten minutes remaining but scores from Malone, Emmet Rogan, Michael Rafferty and Patrick Sheelan got them back in the game before Malone landed the equaliser.

The Pats had the better of the game for much of the hour and with Conor Grogan, Paddy Keenan and Danny O’Connor on target, they led by 0-8 to 0-2 at the break.

Scores from Aidan McCann and Stephen Toner looked to have sent the hosts on their way to victory but Cooley hit back to claim the point they needed to guarantee survival.

Dreadnots claimed the final Cardinal O’Donnell Cup semi-final place thanks to a 4-13 to 0-8 win over St Brides in Clogherhead on Friday.

The hosts raced into an early nine point lead inside eleven minutes with the highlights being a goal apiece for Conor Faulkner and Liam Shevlin. 
Two pointed free kicks from veteran Aaron Hoey brought St. Brides back into it by the 14th minute. However that concluded the scoring for the visitors as the men in black and red continued their domination with a further five points before the short whistle blast to lead 2-8 to 0-2 with James Califf and Jay Hughes adding to the tally.

The second half was very much the same as the first as the home side moved up a gear scoring a further 2-5 against a strong breeze. The two late goals coming from Liam Shevlin and another from substitute Anthony Lynch. St. Brides could only manage five points in return through Neil Thornton, Kevin Hearty and Emmet Kirk.

The Dreadnots victory meant that the Blues 4-15 to 4-10 win over O Raghallaighs at the Gaelic Grounds wasn’t enough to make it into the top four.

The visitors were in impressive form in the first half as they had goals from Ciaran Downey (2) and Rob Carr to establish a 3-5 to 0-8 lead at the break.

O Raghallaighs hit back with four second half goals but it wasn’t enough to take anything from the game as a Ross Nally goal saw the Blues hold out. The result confirmed that O Raghallaighs will drop down to Division 2 for next year.

Sean O’Mahonys also ensured that they will be in the top flight as they defeated St Marys by 0-9 to 0-7 at the Point Road.

The Ardee men had already qualified for the top four prior to the game and they failed to get going in a first half that ended with the O’Mahonys leading by 0-8 to 0-1.

Ronan Carroll, Darren Clarke and Paudy Clarke all got on the scoresheet to give the Marys hope but the O’Mahonys held out despite only scoring one second half point.

Geraldines also had qualified for the top four prior to the final round of fixtures and they were not at their best in Collon where Mattock Rangers scored a 1-15 to 1-7 win.

Ben McKenna and Aaron O’Brien were among the points in the first half to give their side a 0-7 to 1-3 lead at the break with Michael Rogers hitting the net for the Gers.

The second period saw Mattock take control and a goal from Hugh Donnelly along with points from David Reid saw them come out on top.

Most Read Stories