HL1B: Tribe survive Dubs scare

February 25, 2018

Dublin's Ryan O'Dwyer with Shane Cooney and Gearoid McInerney of Galway.
©INPHO/Tommy Grealy.

Galway maintained their 100% record with a hard-fought 1-20 to 1-14 victory over stubborn Dublin at Parnell Park.

A spirited second-half recovery from the Metropolitans saw them claw a nine-point deficit back to two but the Tribesmen, despite still playing within themselves, managed to claim their fourth straight win as Dublin fell to a third defeat of the campaign. Jason Flynn was the match winner, contributing 1-9 for the westerners.

As expected, the All-Ireland champions controlled the first half and they led by nine points going into injury time only for a Danny Sutcliffe goal and a converted Paul Winters free to give the hosts a modicum of hope at the short whistle - 0-13 to 1-5.

Cathal Mannion and Flynn (free) had the holders two up and Dublin pair Conal Keaney and Sutcliffe received yellow cards before Fintan McGibb opened their account. Niall Burke and Sean Loftus added to the Tribe tally and Winters replied from a free as the visitors led by four points to two after 13 minutes.

Galway now took control and reeled off five unanswered points to lead by seven, with Padraig Mannion and Flynn (3) contributing nice scores. A brace of Winters frees was replied to by points from Mannion (2), Flynn (free) and Loftus as the visitors cruised before the Dubs gave them something to think about with their late 1-1 salvo before the break.

Pat Gilroy's charges made a real fight of it upon the restart but Flynn's goal 14 minutes from the end finally put the game to bed - 1-16 to 1-10.

A huge Winters free had the home team back within two points at the three-quarters stage as they mounted an unbelievable comeback. Indeed, it could have been a different story entirely had not James Skehill saved a Winters penalty ten minutes into the second half.

Dublin came again after Flynn's major: Winters reduced the gap to five with eight minutes to go and Ronan Hayes pulled another one back on 64 minutes. The Dubs kept coming and Cian Boland pointed on 65 minutes as they edged back within three, 1-16 to 1-13.

But Galway reeled off four of the last five points through Flynn (free), Brian Concannon, Mannion and Niall Burke to remain on maximum points ahead of their promotion showdown with Limerick next weekend.

Galway - J Skehill; A Tuohy, J Hanbury, J Grealish; S Cooney, G McInerney, P Mannion (0-2); J Coen, S Loftus (0-2); C Cooney, C Mannion (0-4), N Burke (0-2); C Whelan, J Flynn (1-9, 0-6f), B Concannon (0-1). Subs: E Burke for S Loftus, D Glennon for S Cooney.

Dublin - A Nolan; P Smyth, B O'Carroll, E O'Donnell; D Kelly, C Crummey, S Barrett; T Connolly (0-1), F McGibb (0-1); P Crummey, C Keaney, D Sutcliffe (1-1); P Winters (0-9, 8f, 1'65), R O'Dwyer, R Hayes (0-1). Subs: L Rushe for R O'Dwyer, F O Riain Broin for P Crummey, C Boland (0-1) for C Keaney, J Madden for D Kelly, P Ryan for L Rushe.

Referee - J Keenan.

Most Read Stories