Meath Forum

Meath v Louth

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

And Meath will still Win !

MR (Louth) - Posts: 2570 - 03/04/2012 13:21:31    1142724

Link

I feel that Meath will lose to Louth this weekend and I dont want it to appear that I am being negative. I feel though that Meath will not be relegated as I can see both Monoghan and Westmeath losing therefore keeping Meath in the Division on scoring average alone. I know this is going to cause a stir, but I feel maybe Meath should be relegated as this would give a realistic point to where we stand currently. If you look at the last two years under Banty's appointment we have been performing very poorly. To stay in this division is surely again, like last year just papering over the cracks.

What I am most disappointed by is that when the Banty took over he said in his first interview that he was 'going to put the passion back into Meath football'. In my opinion he has done the complete opposite. We are rudderless, not playing to a plan, even though I am very sure a plan has been devised. This si a serious issue for any management team, if you players are not playing to your system why not, and if they are not you should be strong enough of character to change it. This hasnt been done. Under Eamon O Brien there seemed to be a plan that the players played to and I can certainly say the played with passion. Under Eamon he had leaders on the field but under Banty these players seem to have lost that.

I think a full rebuild is needed. I know the club championship is not the best at present but there are the players out there. Look at what JBM has done with Cork. I feel enough damage has been done under Banty now, and I know this is not purposeful but just a reality.

MinorStar (Meath) - Posts: 294 - 04/04/2012 11:55:28    1143407

Link

Minor Star.

Should Banty and Meath part company, who do you see as the saviour of Meath football ?

kingofclubs (Meath) - Posts: 321 - 04/04/2012 13:49:46    1143573

Link

kingofclubs
County: Meath

1143573 Minor Star.

Should Banty and Meath part company, who do you see as the saviour of Meath football ?

Saviour? What would be your definition of a "saviour" and what would you expect from him if installed as Meath manager?

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 04/04/2012 14:10:28    1143602

Link

Minortstar...
Don't lose the run of yourself -Meath were pipped in two NFL games, the Kildare one being the most gutting - we need that extra 5% push, and Shane back in midfield.

I reckon the lads "raised their game" against Kildare, I hope they do the same Sunday

RoyalSt.Pat (Meath) - Posts: 333 - 04/04/2012 14:21:55    1143615

Link

By the way...referee on Sunday at Throw-in is Michael Collins (Cork).

RoyalSt.Pat (Meath) - Posts: 333 - 04/04/2012 14:24:40    1143619

Link

RoyalSt.Pat
County: Meath

1143619 By the way...referee on Sunday at Throw-in is Michael Collins (Cork

Seen that earlier in the week.
Louth certainly will be having no complaints about the ref after this one anyway.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 04/04/2012 14:33:26    1143638

Link

...and good luck to Louth v Dublin U21 Leinster final in Pairc Tailteann tonight.

RoyalSt.Pat (Meath) - Posts: 333 - 04/04/2012 14:43:29    1143651

Link

I think the idea that Meath were pipped in two games is bordering on the ridiclous, Kildare ran that game and while it was exciting there was no shape, no plan and it was like a shoot out at the ok coral. We were pipped by Derry, and the line persisted in playing with a two man full forward line for the entire game leaving Derry to play a sweeper and mop up ahead of the 21. This lacks serious game planning on the line and I would ask questions of the entire management. Derry came with a plan, executed it well and took the 2 points on offer.

Lets applaud Meath football for two near wins instead of looking at the problems. Look more at the Tyrone game for a barometer of where exactly Meath football is. I am sick of football fans on this site posting about potential Leinster titles, league promotions and All Ireland runs. It is not going to happen with a management set up like we have and the distinct lack of ideas and general acceptance that what they are trying to do is not working. Football in its pure sense is not a complicated game, what we have now is the majority of teams playing this blanket defensive style. Meath are trying and it is failing. Lets get real and adopt a game that plays to our strenghts, A full back line that defends and marks tightly, to include the likes of Donal Keoghan. A more direct game that plays to our midfields strenghts, rather than the game we play currently which passes midfield out. Play the ball directly over the blanket defence much like Cork have adopted mid league and have been very successful at.

As for who I think our savious should be, I dont have the answers, but like wise it seems the county board have either. I would like to get a young management team on board, to include the likes of Colm Brady, Donal Curtis, Trevor Giles. These are players our current panel most definately look up to. These lads would inspire anyone I would imagine...

MinorStar (Meath) - Posts: 294 - 04/04/2012 14:56:17    1143673

Link

MinorStar, What Colm O'Rourke's position? Has he expressed an interest in Meath management? I would imagine himself and the former players you mentioned would make a formidable managerial lineup. There could be no excuses then for players not being motivated.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2989 - 04/04/2012 16:13:33    1143759

Link

This was posted as a new thread but as the subject matter already exists it has been incorporated here.

Col12
Meath

04/04/2012
16:22

Relegation???

Will Meath beat Louth on Sunday in Pairc Tailteann or will they have to depend on Monaghan and Westmeath both losing their matches in order to stay up for another year by the skin of their teeth?

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2274 - 04/04/2012 16:25:02    1143772

Link

Meath probably will not lose on sunday but if they do it and we are relegated then it should bring an immediate end to the bantys reign.
Things cannotget much worse than they currently are. You cannot defend some of the crazy decisions banty has made in the course of his
meath term here is just 3 of them
1 In the qualifier vrs kildare last summer Seamus Kenny goes off injured, Banty turns to the bench and who does he pick only Paddy O Rourke
2 In the national league game against Kildare with things in the melting pot he pulls graham reilly off and replaces him with old man river GG
3 He refused to pick Joe sheridan to start a single league match, the one man on the panel who can actually compete for a dropping ball.

atta (Meath) - Posts: 698 - 04/04/2012 17:19:54    1143830

Link

atta

Im not to sure about victory on Sunday, Meaths performances to date wouldnt put much confidence in me but id like to think they will step it up for a game against Louth.
I agree completely about the Banty but im not sure if he should be kept as manager even if we win and stay up on Sunday. You've already said some great examples of why we need him out. This is the second year in a row we are fighting to stay up in Div 2, i for one would like to see Meath up at the top contesting for Div 1. At the moment however they don't look like they could beat half the teams in Div 3.

Col12 (Meath) - Posts: 35 - 04/04/2012 17:38:23    1143849

Link

In fairness lads Meath have been shocking but so have Louth so far, have the feeling Meath will squeeze it.

BettystownRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 3353 - 04/04/2012 21:35:30    1144025

Link

The reality hear is that a lot of people seem to think changing manager will change our fortunes.
It saddens me to say that probably it will not. I am not a fan of banty I just think when we were looking for outside managers there was plenty of others ahead of him. But too be brutally honest we just don't have the players. I live in hope when sor comes back something will change at midfield but I think I and a lot of others are just grasping at straws. Take away graham reilly, stephen bray and paddy gilsennan kevin reilly. This current team is very ordinary. So do have we 10+ players who are not in set up that could add to it ? I don't know. I see damian carroll seems to have made it in davy dalton another who should be tried again. I would truly love to say , change manager and we will be in div 1 winning leinster, and contenders for all ire. However the truth is we will not. And that is one of the hardest realities I have had to admit too.

But I live in hope. Meath to win on sunday
C`mom the royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 05/04/2012 10:53:17    1144149

Link

Royaldunne
You're right in what you say but that doesn't mean that we can't catch out Dublin and some of the big teams on our day.

Mark Ward is right, had we not lost to Kildare we wouldn't be in a relegation battle and we could be fighting for promotion. That loss and the Galway one really knocked the stuffing out of us. Hopefully we'll get through Sunday and then have a break to re-group before Leinster.

An Mhi Abu!

seamusmac (Meath) - Posts: 379 - 05/04/2012 11:09:14    1144165

Link

Have faith!!... Meath to rise to the occasion.. as Louth manage to do an unenviable double...in NAVAN....lose to DUBLIN in u21 final, and then to Meath on Sunday!

sob (Meath) - Posts: 492 - 05/04/2012 11:15:50    1144169

Link

easy to get carried away after a few wins/loses, if we win a few we have a fantastic side if lose 3 we have 3-4 players at the standard, look on the current meath panel you have, kevin reilly, seamus kenny (not on full form yet but its early), shane o rourke, stephen bray, graham reilly, cian ward, paddy gilsenen and ever consistent chris o conner and a dependable keeper in gallagher, on top of that theres players like caoimhin king and shane mac who have reached the level needed at different times and have shown they are capable AND not to mention the current crop of youth breaking through from dalton to lenehan and menton who looks a cracking player and walsh and tobin coming through, are we there yet? no but to be writing this panel off 100% seems very quick, expect a big performance vs louth and a lot of positive posts from people writing the lads off probably up to hours before kickoff

Thejoeshow (Meath) - Posts: 687 - 05/04/2012 11:36:09    1144182

Link

we will never be a donegal or cork capable of shutting teams out but without doubt there is enough class and ability in the forwards to outgun a lot of sides in the country, 2-11 vs kildare without much of the ball says it all

Thejoeshow (Meath) - Posts: 687 - 05/04/2012 11:37:53    1144184

Link

Rd ,dont agree with u on the manager thing ,my honest opinion is these boys along with the majority of meath folk ,dont respect banty or ever will ,and they r not giving the full push .as mark ward said after kildare game it fell apart .this to me was all eggs in one basket and banty is a one trick pony . I know if i wasnt happy in my work i would only do the bare essentials .i have given a lot of taught to ur idea the players arent there ,well u have a point ,but there not there in heart and spirit ,me thinks and idont blame them .its year 2 and were no better off ,and not looking like weve gained anything only now are we gainjng the disrepect of other counties

royalpainter (Meath) - Posts: 874 - 05/04/2012 11:44:41    1144189

Link