In a survey to find out the attitudes of the public toward sports during the Covid-19 pandemic, the results show that there is a hesitancy to attend events.
Carried out by ONSIDE, a consultancy specialising in marketing and sponsorship, the survey reveals the Irish publics attitudes to a return to sport and entertainment in the second half of 2020, the level of people that see a vaccine as a pre-requisite to returning to sport and Irish people’s willingness to buy tickets today for 2021 events are all uncovered in the release.
Headline findings from the new ONSIDE research include:
- 1 in 5 Irish adults support the idea of playing landmark Irish sporting events including the Senior All Ireland Football & Hurling Championships, Guinness 6 Nations & Autumn Series Rugby and FAI League of Ireland behind closed doors and viewable digitally in the second half of 2020, with a further 17% in favour of reduced capacity crowds being allowed to attend such games.
- 50% capacity is the preferred option, with close to 1 in 10 generally open to these major sports being played in half filled sports stadia.
- 44% of Irish adults claim that they will only attend live sports events or concerts when a vaccine is available for Covid-19.
- 4 in 10 Irish adults believe the remaining Republic of Ireland Senior Men’s International Team qualifiers for the postponed UEFA European Championships in 2021 at the Aviva Stadium should be played out in the second half of this year.
- 1 in 4 Irish adults are in favour of reduced capacity or digitally streamed music concerts, while close to 6 in 10 would rather see such events in major indoor venues hold off on a return until 2021.
- 30% of Irish adults would be ready to buy a ticket now to a major sports, music or theatre event that is due to take place in the first half of next year rising to 48% of Irish adults who regularly go to venues like the 3 Arena and Bord Gáis Energy Theatre.
- 53% of sports fans and 60% of music and arts event goers believe that in today’s economy, it is more important than ever for companies to invest in sponsorship.
- 56% of avid Irish sports fans are more inclined to support companies or brands who in turn continue to support their favourite sports events and teams through sponsorship in a Covid-19 environment.
In the consumer research cited in this release, ONSIDE used a nationally representative survey of 1,001 adults aged 18+ across the Republic of Ireland. Fieldwork was conducted from 7th – 12th May 2020.