Cavan Forum

Should Referees Be Held Accountable Or Praised For Their Actions On The Gaa Field

(Oldest Posts First)

Tomsmith here

I have watched many Gaa games in the past year both on the Television and in person also on the wireless I have listened . I have heard a lot of great reports about Referees, letting the game flow. Whatever that means I dont know has the Referee turned a blind eye to fouls ect..
But one thing I haven't seen is any sanction being imposed on a Referee for failing to play by the GAA rule book.
I dont know where the mystery lye's in relation sanction to be imposed on a Referees who is considered to have made blatantly making unfair decisions . The same goes for the Ref who trains hard is up with the play , has a good game he should be praised to the highest.

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3421 - 19/12/2021 17:36:48    2393271

Link

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith here

I have watched many Gaa games in the past year both on the Television and in person also on the wireless I have listened . I have heard a lot of great reports about Referees, letting the game flow. Whatever that means I dont know has the Referee turned a blind eye to fouls ect..
But one thing I haven't seen is any sanction being imposed on a Referee for failing to play by the GAA rule book.
I dont know where the mystery lye's in relation sanction to be imposed on a Referees who is considered to have made blatantly making unfair decisions . The same goes for the Ref who trains hard is up with the play , has a good game he should be praised to the highest."
i have no problem with referes making mistakes they are only human all players make mistakes in every game and so do refs it is only when you get refs with an agenda or obovious bias like Barry Cassidy in the ulster final 2020 where he got 7 major decisions wrong and all against the one team that makes me angry. What i would have said to him if i had the chance after the ulster final could never be repeated.

breffnibluewhite (Cavan) - Posts: 240 - 19/12/2021 20:18:45    2393285

Link

Replying To breffnibluewhite:  "i have no problem with referes making mistakes they are only human all players make mistakes in every game and so do refs it is only when you get refs with an agenda or obovious bias like Barry Cassidy in the ulster final 2020 where he got 7 major decisions wrong and all against the one team that makes me angry. What i would have said to him if i had the chance after the ulster final could never be repeated."
Tomsmith here

Breffni of Blue and white fame..

I feel it is a small bit unfair to mention one Referee. B C is one of the top Referees and it is great to see him perform at a high level. Cavan is blessed to have top class Officials who mostly come from small rural clubs which is great to see. I feel that where an error has been made in a game that the GAA should be big enough to say so. Why the mystery , the winners are generally Ok with the result so the poor losers are generally left to lick ones wounds and suffer the pain of a poor decision.
On the other hand a Referee who has a fine game should be publicly commended ,, Indeed more referees have super games than the odd disaster

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3421 - 06/03/2022 15:42:18    2404068

Link

Tomsmith here

The great Mrs T states very forcefully that thi heading is incorrect and should read ,, Referees should be praised or held accountable for ones actions during a game. She also stated ( she is rarely wrong ) that the Referee should meet the players after a game and explain his / decision. It would removes all ambiguity about his / decisions . I cannot disagree with her views

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3421 - 12/04/2022 16:56:34    2410722

Link

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith here

The great Mrs T states very forcefully that thi heading is incorrect and should read ,, Referees should be praised or held accountable for ones actions during a game. She also stated ( she is rarely wrong ) that the Referee should meet the players after a game and explain his / decision. It would removes all ambiguity about his / decisions . I cannot disagree with her views"
Tom, did you ever officiate yourself? I'd imagine you'd be very impartial except when the Gaels are in action.
In honesty now give us a brief report of what you would describe good refereeing.
There are many, many instances of bad refereeing, some indeed by high profile officials.
We'll proceed with the discussion after we run your report through a forensic analysis.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 666 - 26/04/2022 21:18:36    2413467

Link

Replying To Boxtyeater:  "Tom, did you ever officiate yourself? I'd imagine you'd be very impartial except when the Gaels are in action.
In honesty now give us a brief report of what you would describe good refereeing.
There are many, many instances of bad refereeing, some indeed by high profile officials.
We'll proceed with the discussion after we run your report through a forensic analysis."
Tomsmith here

Boxty eater from County Leitrim

You asked to point out good Refereeing.. Well
No 1 Ciaran Murtagh goal stands out.. He took alot of steps too many but sure a Referee couldn't blow him because of the great Goal he scored .
No2 Mulligans Goal for County Tyrone is second ,,, he took a lot of steps
No3 Was it Kevin Foley for County Meath who appeared to cover alot of ground

These 3 super Goal scorers could have been pulled up bu the Referee dident.. great Referee work.

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3421 - 18/05/2022 21:24:04    2418546

Link

Tomsmith here
After watching the All Ireland and studying replays , I feel that a Referee should be asked to explain

tomsmith (Cavan) - Posts: 3421 - 27/07/2022 09:50:38    2434754

Link