National Forum

Adams and McGuinness knew of IRA bank raid plan!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

SINN FÉIN president Gerry Adams and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness were fully aware of the IRA's plans to carry out the Northern Bank robbery in December 2004, according to the latest WikiLeaks disclosures of secret US cables.

The leaks reveal that then taoiseach Bertie Ahern was convinced Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness - whom he also believed to be IRA leaders - held critical peace process negotiations with him when they knew the IRA was planning the £26.5 million robbery.

A separate WikiLeaks disclosure on fallout from the murder of Northern Ireland solicitor Pat Finucane revealed that MI5, Britain's internal security service, offered to hand over sensitive files on the case to inquiries into his death. The disclosure was described last night by supporters and relatives of Mr Finucane as "highly significant".

The disclosure on the bank robbery also revealed the government believed British intelligence agencies had a senior informant at a high level within the republican movement.

Then US ambassador to Dublin James Kenny reported in February 2005 that a Department of Justice official told the embassy of Mr Ahern's concerns about Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness.

The official, according to the cable, told the ambassador "that the GOI [Government of Ireland] does have 'rock solid evidence' that Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are members of the IRA military command and for that reason, the taoiseach is certain they would have known in advance of the robbery".

Mr Adams and the IRA insisted at the time that the IRA did not carry out the robbery.

Mr Adams, set to run in Louth in the forthcoming general election, continues to insist he was never an IRA member.

Mr McGuinness has admitted IRA involvement, but long in the past.

The robbery was raised in another cable in June 2005. Mr Kenny reported the taoiseach had expressed his concerns to then special US envoy to Ireland Mitchell Reiss. "The Taoiseach . . . believes Sinn Féin leaders were aware of plans to rob the Northern Bank even as they negotiated with him last fall," it said. "Publicly, he has been unprecedentedly critical of Sinn Féin and, until recently, [there were] greatly reduced private contacts as well."

--------------------------

Ah Sinn Fein, ever the bastions of virtue and upholders of democratic ideals...

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4629 - 13/12/2010 09:06:17    831747

Link

1. If there is "rock solid evidence" why has Bertie never brought this to the publics attention
2. Where is the evidence that the IRA was even involved in the bank robbery.

This is all based on hearsay and I suspect smear from Bertie and nothing more. Nothing new here.

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 13/12/2010 10:46:23    831777

Link

Well If Bertie said that they knew then it must be true!!

Aussie_Duke (Tyrone) - Posts: 97 - 13/12/2010 10:49:04    831780

Link

It is hardly news that the Ira carried that out!

jonny1951 (Mayo) - Posts: 1431 - 13/12/2010 10:58:33    831785

Link

I would say thats all it was, news that is and we all know that newspapers and media always report the truth...... 2 many sheep if you ask me.

Aussie_Duke (Tyrone) - Posts: 97 - 13/12/2010 11:06:00    831795

Link

Johny1951, genuine question - What do you base your opinion on?

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 13/12/2010 11:06:40    831797

Link

Robbing money from banks...

Ahh yes the good old days.

It's sadly flipped around on us all

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20610 - 13/12/2010 11:23:10    831807

Link

i have said all along that the wiki leaks are reckless and irresponsible , i will also state when this was brought up before concerning the wiki leaks they were many against me on my stance on this , i wonder will the same people come out now , and reverse their attitude on the revelations of this wiki leaks , they know who they are , it will be interesting to hear their comments on this , when it is concerning members of a national interest of this island , as a say the leaks will do no good to anyone , or anything only damage , its also be noted that the person who started this thread is i am sure doing it out of a genuine cause in his attempt to discredit irish republicans . we will wait in all responses to this .

ta32 (Tyrone) - Posts: 4907 - 13/12/2010 11:37:38    831821

Link

The leaks reveal that then taoiseach Bertie Ahern was convinced Mr Adams and Mr McGuinness - whom he also believed to be IRA leaders - held critical peace process negotiations with him when they knew the IRA was planning the £26.5 million robbery

Is this the same Bertie was also convinced that the economy was on a safe ground back a few years ago? Obviously he's also been shown in the last few years to be a very reliable and trust-worthy source.

The disclosure on the bank robbery also revealed the government believed British intelligence agencies had a senior informant at a high level within the republican movement.

And yet the robbery wasnt foiled/money recovered despite having a senior informant within the republican movement?

does have 'rock solid evidence' that Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are members of the IRA military command and for that reason, the taoiseach is certain they would have known in advance of the robbery

With such 'rock solid evidence' one would have thought prosecutions would have ensured against Messrs Adams and McGuiness if this was the case?

Flimsy stuff bad.monkey, must try harder.

Goodfella, Tir (None) - Posts: 1652 - 13/12/2010 11:43:14    831825

Link

Bertie had no proof other wise he would have give it to the law to deal with and he has some cheek to give out about money the gifts he got.

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 13/12/2010 11:43:30    831826

Link

SF robbing banks and causing trouble, oh well theres a huge surprise.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 13/12/2010 11:48:33    831836

Link

I don't think anyone is surprised that Adams and mcguinness knew about the robbery sure why wouldnt they, will be interesting to see if the evidence of the pair being on the IRA military command emerges. Perhaps they will even stand trial for their crimes, although in Ireland it seems politician are above the law as this wiki document would indicate

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4629 - 13/12/2010 12:13:31    831863

Link

bad.monkey
County: USA

Show us the proof bertie has .

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 13/12/2010 12:22:27    831876

Link

A quick question for the Shinners. How is Gerry Adams able to have and maintain three houses. One in North Mayo, one in Belfast and now one in Louth if he is getting the Industrial wage? serious question now.

paddyogall (Mayo) - Posts: 5110 - 13/12/2010 12:25:43    831879

Link

Derry_ledd
County: Derry

1. If there is "rock solid evidence" why has Bertie never brought this to the publics attention

This is all based on hearsay and I suspect smear from Bertie and nothing more. Nothing new here.

The Northern Bank robbery never happened it was a conspiracy to blacken the good name of the IRA and all the wonderful things they have done for the children of Ireland.

paddyogall (Mayo) - Posts: 5110 - 13/12/2010 12:40:22    831885

Link

Dellboypolecat
County: Tyrone

Show us the proof bertie has .

Yes agreed any proof the government has should be brought to light

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4629 - 13/12/2010 12:54:54    831895

Link

bad.monkey
County: USA

831863 I don't think anyone is surprised that Adams and mcguinness knew about the robbery sure why wouldnt they...

Exactly... even the hardest of SF supporters wouldnt disagree with that... they are both men of power there is no way in hell they wopuldnt have some sort of knowledge regarding the build up to that robbery.

If this is proven Gerry and his clique have no place in Irish politics and that very much includes anyone associated with SF... it's as simple as that.

It's very off putting to see their supporters on this site shouting...."Prove it" when they know only too well the truth of the situation.

How very Fianna Fail

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20610 - 13/12/2010 13:04:34    831905

Link

I understand that adams and mc guinness couldn't stand trial because of the GFA!!? Am I wrong in thinking that?? It may be detrimental to adams' election campaign, then again, the people who vote for him would vote for him regardless of whether we have confirmation that he was on the army council or not so maybe it would make no difference.

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1494 - 13/12/2010 13:06:11    831909

Link

adams is on the industrial wage???

hurlinspuds (Cork) - Posts: 1494 - 13/12/2010 13:07:48    831912

Link

paddyogall
County: Mayo

831885 Derry_ledd
County: Derry

The Northern Bank robbery never happened it was a conspiracy to blacken the good name of the IRA and all the wonderful things they have done for the children of Ireland.

Just hearsay then?

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 13/12/2010 13:11:40    831916

Link