McHale Park decision deferred

June 04, 2009
A final decision on whether McHale Park will be capable of staging Mayo's Connacht SFC semi-final against Roscommon on June 20 won't now be made until next Thursday, June 11. A Connacht Council development committee delegation inspected the Castlebar venue yesterday, and will return next Thursday before deciding on the ground's readiness to host the local derby clash which is expected to attract in the region of 25,000 spectators. With redevelopment work still ongoing, a number of health and safety concerns had been raised by the provincial body. If the requirements aren't met, the game could be moved to Dr Hyde Park, meaning Mayo would forfeit home advantage. However, Mayo secretary Sean Feeney is confident that it won't come to that. "I'm still confident that McHale Park will stage the game. It's still a building site at the moment, but the builders are working flat out to have it ready," he told "Word seems to have got out that a definite decision on the matter was to be made yesterday, but that was never the case. The Connacht Council delegation will be back next Thursday, and they will make their decision after that inspection."

Most Read Stories