Antrim floor Fermanagh with second-half comeback to join Down and Sligo in Tailteann Cup semis

June 15, 2024

Antrim's Cathal Hynds tackles Ultan Kelm of Fermanagh ©INPHO/Leah Scholes

Antrim came from seven points down to defeat Fermanagh by 1-11 to 0-11 in Enniskillen and put their name in the hat for Monday morning’s Tailteann Cup semi-final draw.

Cathal Hynds’s goal with two minutes left in normal time proved the difference in the end as the Saffrons pulled off the comeback to ensure they now have a Croke Park date to savour.

Fermanagh were seemingly cruising in this Ulster derby, having run up a four-point lead by the 22nd minutes prior to the points of Declan McCusker, Sean Cassidy and Fionan O’Brien sending them in with a 0-8 to 0-2 advantage come the break.

Ronan McCaffrey bumped the Ernesiders’ lead up to seven eight minutes into the second-half but, from there, the wheels gradually came off for them as the visitors registered points that trimmed their deficit down to three ahead of Joe Healy and Patrick McBride (free) making it a one-point game.

Disaster then well and truly struck for the home side when Hynds got in for the game’s only goal on the 68th minute mark and another point from Eoin Hynds would secure the remarkable win for Andy McEntee’s team.

In Newry, Down made sure of a return to the semi-finals of this competition by showing Oisin McConville’s Wicklow side the exit door on a convincing 1-18 to 0-12 scoreline.

It took all of five minutes for John McGovern to find the net for the Mourne men in this one and they’d go on towards a 1-6 to 0-5 interval lead.

A couple of Pat Havern points extended the hosts’ advantage early on in the resumption and they’d bump it up to eight before winning out by nine points in the end, as Shealan Johnston and Ceilum Doherty rounded off their tally in the closing stages.

Meanwhile, Sligo made it into their second semi-final in three years in this competition thanks to an emphatic 2-20 to 0-9 win over Limerick at Markievicz Park.

Having held a commanding 0-13 to 0-5 lead at the halfway stage, the Yeats men landed goals from Lee Deignan and Paddy O’Connor to ensure the win which means they now have a Croker summer date to relish.

Most Read Stories