Ladies: Cork bounce back from disappointing league with opening win over Waterford

April 20, 2024

Cork's Daire Kiely ©INPHO/Leah Scholes


Cork 1-10
Waterford 0-11

by Tomás McCarthy at Fraher Field 

Cork celebrated their first competitive win in 90 days at a sun drenched Dungarvan on Saturday afternoon.

An early goal from Laura O'Mahony and five points from Katie Quirke saw the Rebelettes prevail in a hard fought provincial opener.

Shane Ronayne's side never fell behind as they bounced back from a disappointing Division 1 campaign, which saw them relegated. 

Kellyann Hogan kicked four points for Waterford while Ballymacarbry colleague Bríd McMaugh got two off the bench. Pat Sullivan's side now face a must-win game away to Tipperary next weekend. 

Katie Quirke returned to the Cork line-up after recovering from a knee injury. She was top scorer for the Rebelettes in the League. Libby Coppinger gave the visitors an early lead before Kellyann Hogan equalised from a free. Emma Cleary edged Munster champions Cork back in front after Hogan was unable to lob goalkeeper Caoimhe Richmond at the other end. 

In the ninth minute, Coppinger hit the inside of the post but Laura O'Mahony snapped the rebound and fired home (1-2 to 0-1). A foul on Mairead O'Brien allowed Hogan convert a close range dead ball. Two Katie Quirke frees moved Cork five clear. 

Committed defending shut down the Déise attack. The hosts sent seven balls short and three wides in the opening half while Abbie O'Mahony and Melissa Duggan made brave blocks. Quirke kicked her third free in injury time before Emma Murray got Waterford's first point from play on 32 minutes. The ladies in red by five at the break (1-5 to 0-3). 

Aine O'Neill got a point back for Waterford within a minute of the resumption. Quirke then curled over another free. It was waved wide initially before the white flag was raised.

Brid McMaugh came off the bench and two points from the Ballymacarbry attacker cut the gap to a goal (1-7 to 0-7). Maire O'Callaghan hit back for Cork. 

Déise corner back Kate McGrath then burst forward to strike a point. Alannah McNulty cleared a shot from Quirke off the line. Cork sub Sadhbh McGoldrick made it a four point game again. 

Two was as close as Waterford got. Lauren McGregor, Ellen Bolger and Hogan kicked late singles but they couldn't find that match saving green flag. 

Scorers for Waterford: K Hogan 0-4 (4fs), B McMaugh 0-2, K McGrath, E Murray, A O'Neill, L McGregor, E Bolger 0-1 each. 

Scorers for Cork: K Quirke 0-5 (5fs), L O'Mahony 1-0, M O'Callaghan, E Cleary, L Coppinger, S McGoldrick, L McDonagh (1f) 0-1 each. 

Waterford: E O'Brien; A McNulty, H Power, K McGrath; A O'Neill, E Murray, C Carroll; C Walsh, E Power; A Fitzgerald, K Hogan, K Murray; L O'Shea, M O'Brien, L McGregor. 

Subs: A Murray for O'Shea (29), B McMaugh for Walsh (37), A Brazil for Fitzgerald (48), E Bolger for O'Brien (53). 

Cork: C Richmond; M Duggan, D Kiniry, A Ryan; S Leahy, A Healy, K O'Driscoll; M O'Callaghan, A O'Mahony; E Cleary, L O'Mahony, A McDonagh; D Kiely, L Coppinger, K Quirke. 

Subs: R Leahy for L O'Mahony (42), L Hallihan for Kiely (48), S McGoldrick for A O'Mahony (50), K Smith for A McDonagh (50), L McDonagh for Quirke (57).

Referee: S Mulvihill (Kerry)

Most Read Stories