(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post
|
I agree here with all of the above. Lomans extremely clever on the Kinnegad kickout, letting them go short then boxing them in. Will be interesting to see if they go a similar route against The Downs and how The Downs counteract that. Kinnegad ultimately don't have the same shooters Lomans have, very difficult to stop Lomans scoring, particularly when they are playing with a breeze as they have 4 or 5 comfortable 2 point kickers and also have the option of working the ball in for singles. It should be a really good final, The Downs will be favourites but Lomans won't mind that one bit. It would be foolish to write off Lomans in a final, it should go right down to the wire but I think The Downs have shown more overall to suggest they will get over the line. A few people clutching at straws here in relation to Kinnegad and comparing them to Moate which is crazy. Small minded to be looking at one game when they topped Section A and are still a top 3 team despite yesterday's defeat. BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 28/09/2026 09:02:21 2695269 Link 0 |
|
I can see the logic in bringing back a preliminary quarter-final, but personally I'm not sure the Section A 4th vs Section B 3rd option would be as competitive as it sounds. In my opinion, the gap between Section A and Section B was massive this year, with Tubberclair probably the obvious exception. Section B was, for the most part, closer to intermediate standard, whereas Section A is effectively the senior championship. I'd expect the 4th-placed team in Section A to beat the 3rd-placed team in Section B fairly comfortably most of the time. You only have to look at some of the teams in and around the top of the intermediate championship , I'd say Shandonagh or Milltown, for example, would have beaten most of the Section B teams this year. So while I agree there needs to be more jeopardy and incentive, I'm not convinced putting Section A 4th against Section B 3rd is the fairest solution. You could end up with a fairly one-sided game simply because the two sections weren't really comparable in standard this year. RamblingHen (Westmeath) - Posts: 7 - 28/09/2026 09:05:59 2695272 Link 1 |
|
I can see what you're saying about the gap overall but it's maybe not a bad solution to give the group B teams a bit more incentive. This year it would have been Garrycastle v Athlone, which would have been interesting, although I would have had Garrycastle as favourites alright. The bigger issue might be the scheduling of a preliminary QF. With football and hurling, every weekend is already taken up by championship games. It might work if you ended up with two clubs that had no dual players and you could play it on a hurling weekend. Otherwise it would be a midweek game and you could have players having to play 3 important games in a week. anon (None) - Posts: 372 - 28/09/2026 09:19:25 2695275 Link 0 |
|
The Downs hammered Moate while playing in second gear, it showed the big gap between Section A and Section B, there is a reason teams are in section b, ridiculous decision to change the format last year to 3 from each section it needs to be reversed. Some poeple on here actually though Moate would put it up to The Downs. As fo C/K a lot of people on here had them winning the championship after the first round, when it got down to the business end of the championship they have been found out again, Lomans will be a tough one for The Downs but The Downs should win by 4/5 points. dec (None) - Posts: 322 - 28/09/2026 09:20:12 2695276 Link 0 |
|
I dont think the B teams can get much more of an incentive with the current format
BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 28/09/2026 09:21:39 2695278 Link 0 |
|
I would think it's meant more of an incentive than the old format of 4 & 2. I think 4 and 3 and a preliminary QF is quite a good idea. It would probably be a midweek game under lights and could actually add to the championship. DelaneyCup2026 (Westmeath) - Posts: 68 - 28/09/2026 10:17:53 2695289 Link 0 |
|
Who should fund their holiday?
Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 2822 - 28/09/2026 10:33:49 2695293 Link 0 |
|
well for start isn't just a 'team holiday'
TheWagonWheel-N91Y529 (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 28/09/2026 12:38:17 2695320 Link 3 |
|
Players shouldn't anyway, I think they have given more than enough this year to deserve it. Maybe we need to win an All Ireland first to satisfy some people's demands
Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 384 - 28/09/2026 13:22:30 2695334 Link 0 |
|
Who else is going?
iarmhiabu (Westmeath) - Posts: 412 - 28/09/2026 13:49:16 2695340 Link 0 |
|
I think that is what some people are having a problem with more so than donating towards the players.
BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 28/09/2026 13:52:53 2695342 Link 0 |
|
Power Rankings- what do people reckon?? its difficult PowellJohn3 (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 28/09/2026 13:53:16 2695343 Link 0 |
|
I can agree with a lot of the points being made here, although I think there's another side to it as well. Both Moate and C/K were beaten by better teams, but I also thought both management teams left a lot to be desired. If C/K and Moate want to improve next year, I honestly think they need a fresh approach. C/K looked very stale against Lomans and, at times, seemed to have run out of ideas. Lomans were supposed to be a team on the decline. But C/K have a problem big matches to bottle it.For me, Jack Cooney may have taken C/K as far as he can. With Moate, they were fortunate enough to get a favourable quarter-final draw and ultimately reached a senior semi-final from Section B, which, as has been discussed here, was clearly the weaker section. But I don't think you can put everything on the players either. Their management was a major concern for me. Val Daly seems to favour a very old-school approach, or maybe there just isn't a clear tactical plan - I'm not sure which. There didn't seem to be any real solutions against The Downs, and I thought the some of the same problems was evident against Athlone. They were fortunate to get the goal that got them through that game. The players obviously deserve credit for getting as far as they did, but if Moate want to take the next step, I think they need to look at the management structure as well. Sometimes I think there are just too many people involved. You can have the manager, selectors, coaches, backroom staff and everyone else giving their input, but at the end of the day the manager has to make the decisions when the game is being played. You could nearly have the person mowing the grass having an input at this stage! Both Moate and C/K have plenty of good footballers. I think with a fresh management approach and a clear tactical plan, both could improve next year. RamblingHen (Westmeath) - Posts: 7 - 28/09/2026 13:58:22 2695346 Link 0 |
|
Just wondering what Milltown, Shandonagh and Malachys have done to deserve to be ahead of Tyrellspass and Tang? Milltown havent been senior in about 90 years. Shandonagh maybe because they were senior in 2024 and got to the intermediate final last year. Malachys lost to Tang in the senior relegation play off last year so that would suggest Tang should be ahead of them. I do appreciate there isn't much between Senior B and 2 or 3 of the Intermediate A teams but I do think there needs to be substance behind putting an Intermediate team ahead of a Senior team in the rankings and to me there isn't enough to suggest they should be. BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 28/09/2026 14:12:08 2695348 Link 0 |
|
I think that is why people aren't as quick to donate.
BadgerDog (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 28/09/2026 14:20:36 2695349 Link 0 |
|
take a guest, ill give you a hint they didn't come on during extra-time to finish the job off.
TheWagonWheel-N91Y529 (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 28/09/2026 14:36:16 2695352 Link 1 |
|
Answer the question that was asked? It's not that difficult surely.
Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 2822 - 28/09/2026 15:00:44 2695354 Link 0 |
|
Where will the money come from? It seems people are giving out about people other than the players fundraising for the holiday. I don't think that necessarily means those people are going themselves - I took it to mean they're helping to fundraise for the players.
westmeathfan25 (Westmeath) - Posts: 12 - 28/09/2026 15:05:57 2695357 Link 0 |
|
Presumably some county board officials are going which is always the case in any county. You think Kerry team holiday went ahead minus their chairman or secretary going? People talk here about the players giving hours and hours, no player remotely puts in what some people do on county board. The usual whingers here won't like that, Cusack Park was open at 12.15 yesterday morning and didn't close until 6.45, it doesn't close or operate automatically. I would have an issue if paid people linked to team are going, physios, nutritionists, etc get handsomely remunerated for their work, a holiday surely should be paid for by themselves. Paddy Wallace and Keith Quinn must put in 25-35 hours per week voluntarily.
Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 2822 - 28/09/2026 15:06:45 2695358 Link 0 |
|
C/Kinnegad lacked energy for some reason and declined in performance from about the 15th minute on. One wonders did they overdo the preparation as in the earlier rounds they looked so dynamic and fit. Yesterday they had no drive and seemed to accept their fate quite early. The lack of quality two-point shooters and pure scoring forwards came home to roost. Their forward line has too mainly defensive players which worked under the old rules but not now. Semi-finals tend to show up weaknesses. Brian Cooney was their main threat from play but his midfield position meant he had a limited scoring role. On a couple of occasions in the first half you could see some of their players declining to shoot even though the shot was on and they had the benefit of the breeze. Credit to St Lomans here as they started to defend the arc really well. Not sure where C/K go from here as Tubberclair could now overtake them as the next threat. I give St Loman's a good shot in the final as their forwards are playing well and they are peaking at the right time. Saturday's easy win won't help The Downs as their opponents are now battle hardened. While St Lomans won by 10 points it was still a tough enough game having to come from 9 points behind. It was very different to the other semi-final where the Downs could have had 7 or 8 goals. The different levels of focus of the teams showed when anytime Moate scored they seemed to forget the game had restarted and the Downs marauded through almost at will. Iarmhisamhi (Westmeath) - Posts: 81 - 28/09/2026 15:18:25 2695359 Link 0 |