National Forum

Westmeath Football thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To AlaRad10:  "Doesn't work that way. I personally know of 1 person who rang the county manager last year to ask was a player in his plans for an upcoming league game. He was told no, he then asked could he play for his club then if he wasn't going to be needed/used. Again was told "no, he's either committed to us or he's not"."
I agree totally with you, but the Count managers have too much power, the Co Board should instruct the manager if a player is not required for co game, then he should be allowed play for the club.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 46 - 23/11/2022 21:39:58    2448568

Link

It's bananas to stop players from playing and staying sharp. Other sports which are 100% professional will release the unused wider squad players back to their clubs routinely - soccer and rugby national teams are the obvious examples.

I don't buy the injury argument either. If you're not in the 26-man panel on the match day, it's of little impact if a player picks up an injury with the club. They would likely be the 3rd choice in their position or even 4th.

Surely staying fit and playing is better than sitting in the stand in your tracksuit after doing a few warmup drills. Even 30 minutes of game time is superior.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 152 - 25/11/2022 15:24:39    2448713

Link

Mike McGurn who is an expert in this field agrees strongly with you. Cliffords playing their 29th games of the year and benefiting as each match worth 3 training sessions. County boards nationwide need to stand up to managers. They are the employees after all.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 812 - 25/11/2022 17:41:20    2448727

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "It's bananas to stop players from playing and staying sharp. Other sports which are 100% professional will release the unused wider squad players back to their clubs routinely - soccer and rugby national teams are the obvious examples.

I don't buy the injury argument either. If you're not in the 26-man panel on the match day, it's of little impact if a player picks up an injury with the club. They would likely be the 3rd choice in their position or even 4th.

Surely staying fit and playing is better than sitting in the stand in your tracksuit after doing a few warmup drills. Even 30 minutes of game time is superior."
100% agree but that would mean a manager relinquishing some of his "power" and most won't do that.

AlaRad10 (Westmeath) - Posts: 7 - 25/11/2022 19:14:07    2448735

Link

Any word of a county panel yet or any potential call ups? There were trials taking place and U20 trials due tomorrow. 7 or 8 of last years U20s still in age, not sure how many U19s are good enough as they had quite a weak age group at minor. Brian Cooney was the stand-out from what I recall.

TigerWoods90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 77 - 26/11/2022 16:38:54    2448777

Link