National Forum

Cody Staying Another Year With Kilkenny But When Should He Move On?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gatha:  "I am talking about the Tipp team of '09-'14. Kelly Corbet etc. Yes they did contest it and were beaten comfortably by Kilkenny except for a terrible goal let up by Herity."
A poor Limerick beat them in '13 and 14 and took them down to the wire in'12.- a side that was not a patch on the current team.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 3243 - 15/09/2021 22:52:02    2381021

Link

Anyone who thinks Richie Hogan's sending off in 2019 was questionable really needs to read the rule book. A blatant red card.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 326 - 16/09/2021 00:19:02    2381032

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Anyone who thinks Richie Hogan's sending off in 2019 was questionable really needs to read the rule book. A blatant red card."
If that was a blatant red then ever game should end up 4 players been sent off from each side.

Newyorkkat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 42 - 16/09/2021 13:16:42    2381087

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "A poor Limerick beat them in '13 and 14 and took them down to the wire in'12.- a side that was not a patch on the current team."
I will disagree with you saying the team of the last decade is not a patch on today's team. Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett a young Bonnar Maher were better then anyone they have today. andO'Brien and Ryan were very good players. Woodlock and Shane McGrath were better then today's centerfield. In the backs you had a young Paudie Maher and Brendan Maher Fanning O'Mahony were very good players and a goalkeeper that always comes up in the convesation of best ever. Today's team has good players but on the whole are not in the class of the previous team. Losing an odd game here or there doesn't take away from the great games they played for the 5 or 6 years they were on the road.

gatha (Kilkenny) - Posts: 297 - 16/09/2021 13:19:37    2381089

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Anyone who thinks Richie Hogan's sending off in 2019 was questionable really needs to read the rule book. A blatant red card."
Most people would agree with you on the red card issue, Claret and blue.

MicktheMiller (Offaly) - Posts: 382 - 16/09/2021 21:10:50    2381191

Link

Replying To gatha:  "I will disagree with you saying the team of the last decade is not a patch on today's team. Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett a young Bonnar Maher were better then anyone they have today. andO'Brien and Ryan were very good players. Woodlock and Shane McGrath were better then today's centerfield. In the backs you had a young Paudie Maher and Brendan Maher Fanning O'Mahony were very good players and a goalkeeper that always comes up in the convesation of best ever. Today's team has good players but on the whole are not in the class of the previous team. Losing an odd game here or there doesn't take away from the great games they played for the 5 or 6 years they were on the road."
Fully agree on that. Must say I'm slightly worried from a Tipp perspective currently. One player whos regularly first to be brought on wouldn't have got next or near a Tipp panel back then. Hoping Bonnar brings this team forward and not backwards.

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 3104 - 17/09/2021 10:00:39    2381254

Link

100%

I think the real issue that day was the fact that Barrett was on the field as his action on Hogan earlier was also a stone wall red card, and in full view of the ref.

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1170 - 17/09/2021 14:17:41    2381319

Link

Replying To Ban:  "100%

I think the real issue that day was the fact that Barrett was on the field as his action on Hogan earlier was also a stone wall red card, and in full view of the ref."
Exactly

gatha (Kilkenny) - Posts: 297 - 17/09/2021 19:43:10    2381386

Link

I believe Brian Cody, should have stepped down a couple of years ago. His record probably won't be equalled, but it is time for a new approach. Kilkenny have fallen back into the pack, from their outstanding record over the period 2006 to 2015. The underage teams are not producing the players, as in the past. Galway beat them in the U20 and U17 championships, and were themselves well beaten by Cork in the respective All Ireland finals.

MicktheMiller (Offaly) - Posts: 382 - 18/09/2021 19:20:13    2381498

Link

Replying To gatha:  "I will disagree with you saying the team of the last decade is not a patch on today's team. Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett a young Bonnar Maher were better then anyone they have today. andO'Brien and Ryan were very good players. Woodlock and Shane McGrath were better then today's centerfield. In the backs you had a young Paudie Maher and Brendan Maher Fanning O'Mahony were very good players and a goalkeeper that always comes up in the convesation of best ever. Today's team has good players but on the whole are not in the class of the previous team. Losing an odd game here or there doesn't take away from the great games they played for the 5 or 6 years they were on the road."
I don't think many on the Limerick Team of '12 '13 and 14 would get on the current team- Hannon and Quaid, who are both playing better now than they were back then, but after that very few

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 3243 - 18/09/2021 19:39:56    2381502

Link

Replying To MicktheMiller:  "I believe Brian Cody, should have stepped down a couple of years ago. His record probably won't be equalled, but it is time for a new approach. Kilkenny have fallen back into the pack, from their outstanding record over the period 2006 to 2015. The underage teams are not producing the players, as in the past. Galway beat them in the U20 and U17 championships, and were themselves well beaten by Cork in the respective All Ireland finals."
I think cody is doing a good job with the talent he has.

Newyorkkat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 42 - 18/09/2021 23:56:46    2381550

Link

Replying To Newyorkkat:  "I think cody is doing a good job with the talent he has."
Yeah reaching 3 semi finals in a row with the current squad is good going but the question is if Cody left after 2015 would the next manager be ratified unopposed for 7th season with cody's record from that point.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3451 - 19/09/2021 10:20:31    2381574

Link