Westmeath Forum

Popular Posts from BigSur

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Disciplinary Issues at recent games - 2 Like(s)
Leave it the County Board to sort out when they receive the referee's report. I am sure the minor board chairperson will step away owing to conflict of interest ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - 11/10/2017 13:27:58

GAA Speeches - 2 Like(s)
[url=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-Nk66P5OQ Joe Connolly 1980 legend

BigSur (National) - 13/12/2020 23:36:50

Senior & intermediate championship 2016 - 2 Like(s)
SFC Semi finals Sun 16th Oct TEG Cusack Park TPass v Athlone @ 2pm Lomans v Killucan @ 330pm IFC Final Sat 15th Oct TEG Cusack Park Rosemount v Tubberclair @ 330pm

BigSur (Westmeath) - 06/10/2016 18:57:24

County U20 Footballers - 1 Like(s)
This the best I could get from someone that was up there: 1. Trevor Martin The Downs 2. Ciaran Daly Kinnegad 3. Charlie Drumm The Downs 4. Stephen McGonagle Tubberclair 5. Eoghan Bracken Kinnegad 6. Eoin Mulvihill Garrycastle 7. Darragh Seery Ballinagore 8. Jonathan Lynam The Downs 9. Adam Flanagan Tyrellspass 10. Jack Murtagh Milltown 11. Sam McCartan Lomans 12. Sean Fox Caulry 13. Aaron Nugent Castledaly 14. Tommy Ryan Tyrellspass 15. TJ Cox Lomans I see the county website is getting a rev up from Jan 6th. PRO could do with a hand - surely someone attached to backroom team or a parent could help. Look at Laois for example. All team lists well presented a day or 2 in advance. Photos from games. I see Laois minor squad for 2020 also published and they weren't even playing.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 04/01/2020 21:49:20

Senior & U17 Football Finals - 1 Like(s)
So the countdown is on to the biggest day on Westmeath's football calendar. In the U17, it's a repeat of last year's U16 Final between The Downs and Kinnegad. Tight one to call. The Downs have already won the U18 final and reached the semi of the U16. Kinnegad had an impressive win over a strong Loman's in the semi so anyone's game. I beleive it's a young Kinnegad team so I give The Downs the nod. Interesting senior final in store. All pressue on Loman's as favourites etc and nothing expected of Shamrocks. However that has been the case all along and Shamrocks keep proving so many of us wrong. For me it's their tigerish and pacy defence that has got them this far and could get them across the line. They have tightened up as the season went on and Fagan at midfield is flying. Despite the lads that are missing, Loman's still have top class performers and will be favourites. I just think that if Shamrocks keep their discipline and no silly cards then they could do the business.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 16/10/2018 16:03:07

Westmeath Underage Development Squads - 1 Like(s)
Well if there is a plan, it certainly is not published. My own 2 lads were involved at younger ages. All age groups seem to operate totally individually - no obvious player pathway or joint up thinking. Initially at U13 level there was a panel of up to 60 players - playing 3 teams or so at blitzes. This number got culled over the winter without any notification - just stopped getting the texts. Another problem is getting mentors - seems to be just parents involved, certainly with the younger teams. Surely we could get some ex players involved even just as the lead coach and allow them to cut their teeth too. You need someone for the lads to look up to aspire to be and indeed attract the lads to play with all the competition out there.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 14/09/2018 14:22:57

Managers 2021. - 1 Like(s)

Replying To ADubinMeath:  "Former Dublin goalkeeper, selector and goalkeeper coach with Jim Gavin. Manager of Ratoath and brought them from junior to intermediate and winning the Tailteann cup. Managed Ratoath again in 2019 and guided them to their 1st Keegan cup."
Ended badly in Ratoath seemingly but not of his making I believe. Tale I heard was alot of outside interference in team matters.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 08/12/2020 19:50:54

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021 - 1 Like(s)
Koo you are bigging up The Downs massively there. Potentially Lomans Athlone and Garrycastle would be in with a good shout too surely. It can vary from year to year depending on availability but you'd imagine numbers will be strong for the bigger clubs.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 27/01/2021 11:29:37

Fixtures - 1 Like(s)

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "Has there been any official word of fixtures (Adult) released for this week? I know our secretary has said we were due to play junior championship this week but never received any confirmation. This was based off of the master fixture list."
Full round of football league fixtures issued for this week. I think we are a week behind the master list as one weekend nearly all fixtures were off because of weather.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 18/04/2017 14:25:46

Footballers 2017 - 1 Like(s)
Agree with previous posters - the players play as they are coached and directed so the issue is with management for sure. Likewise I have been following gaelic games for 30+ years and it was the worst game I have ever witnessed. I can now relate to Pat Spillane when he called it Puke Football some time back. The Westmeath PRO was spot on when he called it GARBAGE from both teams on twitter. Yes there was a gale blowing but how many scoring chances did Westmeath create, how many wides had they ? Very few. How many foot passes were directed to the forward line - again not too many. Thank God for Ger Egan, he kept WH in this game almost on his own. I expect WH to win replay as our key players surely can't play that badly again. Cost of replay tickets: €15 for stand, €10 for terrace and a fiver for U16's. I will be there !

BigSur (Westmeath) - 12/06/2017 11:55:01

2017 SFC - 1 Like(s)

Replying To Ban:  "Does anyone know when the County Final is scheduled?"
Sun 29th Oct is the new date for senior football final. Both semi finals fixed for Sun week 15th Oct, double header in Cusack.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 02/10/2017 14:07:03

2017 SFC - 1 Like(s)
Don't know what has happened Shamrocks, they are along way from that opening draw with Lomans. Have looked average enough whenever I saw them, but were right in the game last night until sending off but you have to admire T'Pass. Still missing Ger Egan (finest in the county along with Heslin) and others and are now in semi. Lomans are just so far ahead of everyone elso though, it's getting boring.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 28/08/2017 14:09:49

Club League Dates - 1 Like(s)

Replying To theslenderman:  "Anybody any idea when the start date and fixtures released for the club leagues yet?"
Start date for football leagues to be weekend of Feb 23rd as per planning report. I haven't see the hurling equivalent. Master fixtures list is still another week or 2 away I believe.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 03/02/2020 17:14:39

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021 - 1 Like(s)
Ah lads start a new topic if ye want to regurgitate a previously well documentated gripe. Yes they are fond of a transfer but at the end of the day they have 2 outstanding ballers in Heslin and OToole. Now who's gonna win the JFC again ? Do we have a list of junior managers ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - 28/01/2021 20:36:43

Westmeath Senior Football Championship 2020 - 1 Like(s)
Didn't get to see game but hats off to Lomans for fifth title in 8 years I think it is. Looks to me like they had just six starters today that started v Moorefield 3 years ago. That's some going in fairness. Yes they have more than the average number of imports but that will always be the way particularly with town teams and sure wouldn't every club love to have them. Only heard snippets on the radio, would have been a massive smash and grab had TPass held on after their late goal. Once it went to ET, Loman's bench always going to see them through and the momentum had switched back in their favour after their late equaliser. Would have huge sympathy for TPass though, this was a big chance spurned. Sport can be cruel, no doubt Garrycastle and The Downs are looking on wondering what might have been. Yes the gap has closed and they are no longer miles ahead but as long as Heslin and OToole are playing they will always be there or thereabouts. Who's to say Sharry and Dempsey won't be back next year along with Casey and Cox make them a serious outfit. Whatever the format, 2021 should be a very competitive championship.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 27/09/2020 21:58:00

2017 SFC - 1 Like(s)
SFC Round 1 Saturday 22nd July TEG Cusack Park: Coralstown/Kinnegad v Rosemount 17:30 Sean Carroll The Downs v Caulry 19:00 Barry Kelly Tang: Castledaly v Maryland 19:00 Brendan Keena Sunday 23rd July: TEG Cusack Park St.Lomans v Mullingar Shamrocks 19:00 Declan Nugent Moate: Killucan v Athlone 17:30 Niall Ward Garrycastle v Tyrrellspass 19:00 Pat Fox

BigSur (Westmeath) - 13/07/2017 00:09:16

Venues For Semi Finals - 1 Like(s)
Cork who also broke the rules are expected to be at home vs Westmeath in div 2 playoff ?

BigSur (National) - 31/05/2021 12:44:05

Westmeath SHC 2021. - 1 Like(s)

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Hardly room for Turin in Delvin with Loman's and The Downs pulling the talented young players out of there over the past few years."
I don't see your point. This is a discussion on hurling. Lomans and The Downs are footballing clubs. Funny enough, 3 of the young Turin hurlers named previously play football with Lomans ??

BigSur (Westmeath) - 13/02/2021 22:11:34

Footballers 2017 - 1 Like(s)
Team v Meath courtesy of WH Examiner: 1. Kevin Fagan 2. Jamie Gonoud 3. Kevin Maguire 4. John Rock 5. Shane Corcoran 6. Kieran Martin 7. John Egan 8. Alan Gaughan 9. Paddy Holloway 10. Alan Stone 11. Dean McNicholas 12. Noel Mulligan 13. Lorcan Dolan 14. Alex Gardiner 15. Jordan Marshment Subs: Darren Quinn, James Dolan, David Lynch, Daire Conway, Luke Loughlin. Interesting to see Luke Loughlin back from NYC. Pity he's just out of U21 grade but will be a big help to The Downs. I think he was playing with New York so should be in reasonable shape.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 20/12/2016 14:17:38

Club Managers 2018 - 1 Like(s)
Pat Flanagan to Athlone would be interesting. Would Tom Stuart Trainor be in contention ? I think they have great potential but need a couple of new defenders and could push on and contest. Plenty of midfielders and forwards. Not sure what the crack is with Jack Cooney and Kinnegad. Will Jack now become no 1 at Rhode ? Trying to cover both teams is a big ask and got caught with the knockout fixtures.

BigSur (Westmeath) - 07/11/2017 13:58:20