Wexford county board say that Paul Galvin has left football in the county in “a much stronger position”.
Galvin resigned as Wexford senior football manager yesterday, with the Kerry man citing “the new time and travel commitments” as his reasons for walking away from his first role in inter-county management.
In a statement, the Wexford board thanked Galvin for his efforts with the team.
"It is without doubt that Wexford football is in a much stronger position thanks to [Galvin's] efforts during this time, which is reflected in the senior team's results to date which have placed the side in contention for promotion from Division 4 of the National Football League," the statement said.
"The role of an inter-county manager is a constantly evolving one with an ever-increasing level of commitment required, and particularly so this year in light of the pandemic.
"We appreciate and understand the changes in Paul's personal circumstances which have led to his decision and we wish paul and Louise well in their new home in the west of Ireland and their new business endeavours."
With inter-county training resuming this week, the Model County have moved quickly to appoint Shane Roche as interim manager ahead of the National League’s resumption next month and the All-Ireland SFC to follow.
"Shane has been heavily involved as part of Paul's backroom team during his tenure and his considerable experience as an inter-county player and coach at schools, club and inter-county level will help build on the foundations laid by Paul earlier this season,” said the statement.
Senior Football Update - Statements from Paul Galvin and Wexford GAA: pic.twitter.com/s4VU6ViAm7— Wexford GAA (@OfficialWexGAA) September 15, 2020