Donegal Forum

Popular Posts from Rolo2010

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Jimmy's Winning Matches - 6 Like(s)

Replying To FiorDunach:  "If the rumour is true and Jim McGuiness is coming to Down we might as well pack it in. After having never missed a Down game ( apart from during the pandemic closure) home or away, Championship, League or McKenna Cup in good times and bad for the last 46 years, that's me done. Finito"
That's the spirit. A true supporter of your county.

Rolo2010 (National) - 09/11/2021 16:17:03

Bloody Sunday - 5 Like(s)

Replying To tireoghainabu:  " Thankfully you are in the minority as most reasonable people see re-unification as inevitable in the not too distant future. The six county state is a failed entity and nothing will ever change that. The new republic would be an economic powerhouse on the fringe of Europe and close ties to America."
Any poll in the Republic has always shown a strong majority of unification.

Rolo2010 (National) - 11/11/2020 14:41:32

Have We All Gone Mad? - 5 Like(s)

Replying To carlowman:  "[quote=Galway9801:  "[quote=carlowman:  "[quote=AfricanGael:  "Not good, but definitely not illegal."
I think the fella on the radio today who spoke about publicans taking advice from the doctors hit the nail on the head. Who should we take advice from.... the publican or the doctor ? People need to wake up. The reality is that NPHET painted a very dim picture if we allow pubs etc to open. Advice has been given and is being followed. Think back to Christmas and January and Feb... leave us have a Christmas people said and look what happened... disaster almost with all of us having family or friends dying. Enough said. I think we can spend a little.more.time outside of the pitch for county matches and it will be worth ut if we can lead a.more normal.life later. And by the way, the pub can wait as well. Times are changing and the pub as we know it is changing.... we won't be visiting it as often as in the past even when they do reopen."]Almost all of us have family or friends dying? Irelands mortality rate for 2020 was 1% higher than 2019, yet in that year apparently almost all of us have watched family or friends die? I don't know anyone who even got ill from it, and I don't know anyone who knows anyone who died from it, so stop talking rubbish."]Things must be great in the West ! I know 5 people who have died.. I know at least 25 who have gotten it. Three who have had long covid and continue to suffer total lack of energy, headaches etc. Not very nice.. And do you know something... I don't get out that often. Perhaps you should count yourself lucky. So, please leave out the rubbish."]I don't know anyone who died from it so there you go.

Rolo2010 (National) - 29/06/2021 21:16:59

Anti GAA Agenda - 5 Like(s)

Replying To sam1884:  "I'm GAA first and foremost but have more than an interest in other sports including soccer and rugby. This means I read and follow the media attached to all sports and make no mistake the current campaign is nothing to do with Covid. Irish rugby is a farce; we're brainwashed into thinking the international rugby team touches every community in Ireland and we're one of the top international teams with a chance of becoming world champions. It's a complete farce; yes the team do fairly well; winning a few 6 nations in the years post world cup when all other nations are in transition planning for the next world cup year. Look at Ireland's record in WC years or at the WC itself; this is the only year every team is at peak and the same level of preparation and we're a very poor international team. Soccer to be fair is a national sport that genuinely touches every community in Ireland; our soccer team is poor but there is nothing like a successful international team - it doesn't happen often but the vast majority of the country feel genuine warmth to working class guys representing us and get behind it as a country. The mainstream media has been taken over by rugby fanatics; very much linked to the governments trying to make everything in the country middle class. There is a campaign to make rugby our national sport, it's all positive reports; nothing negative and after each awful WC year everything goes back how great rugby is. Yes Munster rugby touches working class areas but it will never be a national sport like the GAA or soccer. GAA in particular gets bad press from the media as I suspect they see us as more of a competitor. To the GAA people out there let the negativety and GAA bashing continue, they'll never achieve what they're trying to do as the GAA breaks down every class system and is the true national sport of Ireland no matter how much the rugby press dislike it."
RTE said rugby was the people's game. Shows you how deluded they are. But then that's what happens when you base yourselves in D4 and hire most of your presenters from the same area.

Rolo2010 (National) - 22/10/2020 01:27:38

Sligo Covid-19 Breakout - 5 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "I'd prefer to read a book over needlessly jeopardizing the health of our amateur players and their families because the GAA don't want to have the fallout of dealing with broadcasting rights"
Sure. You'll be watching if Dublin get to the final. NPHET said running the Championship was fine and the case numbers are slowly coming down so get off your high horse.

Rolo2010 (National) - 03/11/2020 12:07:55

The Corona Virus And Possible Effects To GAA Matches - 4 Like(s)

Replying To moc.dna:  "You would imagine as you say that club celebrations would be different to inter County ones but I think it could be worse. People are going to gather to watch games on TV & have a few drinks, say if Mayo win the football or Wexford won the hurling, its not exactly going to be a tea party celebration. People need to start thinking outside of their bubble & outside the GAA bubble are companies that are not going to survive & go burst, people who will be long term unemployed, people who have died & where families have to decide who goes into the church & cemetery, people working on the front line who are exhausted from dealing with Covid cases, many people have had to deal with a multiple of the above. GAA people need to get their head down from their hole & think of others, especially those who suffered bereavements. I agree with you re the reputational damage but I think that's already happened with the clusters from club celebrations, we have seen that locally in Galway . Let's not forget that many of those involved at club celebrations nationwide were inter County players some of whom were certain professions, so if they couldn't control themselves then, its highly unlikely they will after winning an All Ireland. The GAA membership & supporters are now directly responsible for large clusters nationwide & one of the reasons we are heading to Level 5, so reputational damage is already done. Interesting that there isn't a peep from John Horan, now that they got €20 Million from Govt, they are going to plough on with things regardless. Interesting also that the only ones you see in the media driving it are the Kerry, Mayo & Meath bucks who have vested interests through their print media & TV sidelines. These guys have no more interest in mental health that they keep espousing, its all about the dineros."
NPHET said the Championships can go ahead and I'd rather listen to them instead of some sore Galway fan who just watched their team get battered by Mayo.

Rolo2010 (National) - 20/10/2020 19:51:56

The Mcguinness / Kelly Proposal - 4 Like(s)

Replying To jacktheboy:  "McGuinness has destroyed Gaelic Football once before, keep him away from any proposals."
His proposal is good and no Donegal man would say this so why lie to people about the county you are from.

Rolo2010 (National) - 27/10/2021 09:29:27

GAA Funding And Fairness - 4 Like(s)

Replying To KillingFields:  "Yes that should be case but clubs/counties can and should be able to pay for their own on top and you cant exactly have it per number of clubs when there is in plenty of areas some clubs who are football or hurling only in same parish. cant be used as fair compariso"
Sorry. We can't be rich like the Dublin super clubs or your beloved sport.

Rolo2010 (National) - 23/11/2020 16:28:09

Sligo Covid-19 Breakout - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "boycotting is the wrong way to say it, but iv no interest in watching games,"
You're better off given how Wexford played at the weekend.

Rolo2010 (National) - 03/11/2020 19:29:49

Bloody Sunday - 3 Like(s)

Replying To essmac:  "Speak for yourself mate."
Nobody serious in Ireland wants a federal Europe.

Rolo2010 (National) - 21/11/2020 19:53:12

Have We All Gone Mad? - 3 Like(s)

Replying To carlowman:  "To be honest I don't think we should be modelling ourselves on England. I think i would rather follow the advice of the medical experts and the modelling that they have done. Reading the front page of the Indo tlday was enough for me. Have a look... Our medical experts on NPHET have been very accurate to date. 7 or 8 euro will get you the game on tv. And yes it woukd be great to be back at the match but that will happen in time. Voting out a government on the basis of not getting your own way wont really do it at the polls. Of course we would all like to be out at matches but aren't we lucky to have the games at all ?"
England and the North are doing fine. You can sit inside a pub and have a drink. Added benefit of not getting ripped off as well.

Rolo2010 (National) - 29/06/2021 21:16:08

Should The Fisted Goal Be Abolished.? - 3 Like(s)

Replying To GalwaysFinest:  "it shouldn't be abolished. nobody loves to see a palmed goal but the build up play to get them into that position is excellent to watch. its down to teams to figure out how to be not opened up and dont be vulnerable to the overlap. the dubs do it so well and the unselfishness is the reason they are so good. Con's fisted goal was sheer class. Damien Comer from Galway another great man to get a fisted goal. Its a great skill, you cant get rid of it. Palmed goals arent as pretty to watch as a kicked goal but you cant abolish it."
It can be abolished. The game is called football. All goals should be scored with the foot.

Rolo2010 (National) - 20/12/2020 20:13:10

GAA Funding And Fairness - 3 Like(s)

Replying To KillingFields:  "You are not well informed on rugby if you think a lot of it is rich or even near a majority of clubs etc playing the sport."
Being informed on rugby is your job. You are the rugby head here.

Rolo2010 (National) - 23/11/2020 21:03:50

Ballymac 40 In A Row - 3 Like(s)

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Just like Kildare never winning 40-in-a-row. Did they ever even do 2-in-a-row, in anything? Isn't it pointless for Kildare to field a senior football team, year in, year put, then? It only seems pointless, if you're not involved or not from Ballymac. If you don't understand the context, don't comment idly!"
40 in a row does make it pointless though.

Rolo2010 (National) - 08/11/2021 17:14:28

Football Championship 2021 - 3 Like(s)
Provincials won't be removed from All-Ireland. Ulster will never vote for it. And if Dublin fall back and we get a somewhat competitive Leinster, it will never happen. The best solution I've seen is by McGuinness. 4 Provincial champions + top 11 in League and Tier 2 champions compete for Sam Maguire. Rest go into Tier 2.

Rolo2010 (National) - 19/07/2021 22:46:18

Replying To Breezy:  "We would not be an economic powerhouse and I would much rather be close to Europe and on the fringe of those loons in the US"
I do not want to be closer to Europe. We have more in common with the US than mainland Europe. European identity doesn't exist and a federal Europe would be bad for Ireland.

Rolo2010 (National) - 11/11/2020 18:19:50

Upcoming Special Congress - 3 Like(s)

Replying To Whammo86:  "It's better than what's proposed but still seems weird to me to make being in division 1 kind of risk less. If the whole point of having a league style championship game is to get sell out crowds for games in the group stage surely there has to be something a bit more at stake. For me this keeps boiling down to the 4 divisions of 8 set up being a great secondary competition but not fit for purpose as the main competition regardless of the tweaking."
1 to 6 from Div 1 in QF. 1 to 3 in Div 2 + Tailteann Cup winners in PQF.

Rolo2010 (National) - 22/10/2021 13:36:03

Replying To KillingFields:  "There completely is need for further integration. Extensive areas for growth. We need to be using foreign languages more and learning more to assist trade. We are not going to see any european army or at least we will be able to maintain our neutral status as we have been on any actions carried out by the EU. If we had never joined the EU the country would never have progressed and modernised in the manner that it has. Joining europe was the best thing to happen to this country. External immigration wont be decided by EU. We are not and will never be part of schengen area so have always been in control of our borders."
We don't need to be using foreign languages more. Most countries are either using English or transitioning to English. The French kicked up a storm when the EU said it would continue using English. You're wrong on everything here. Further integration is not needed and always leads to more powers being stripped away. A federal Europe would require a European military and central control of external immigration.

Rolo2010 (National) - 12/11/2020 13:53:03

Meath V Dublin Leinster Final. - 3 Like(s)

Replying To supersub15:  "20 years of the back door system and the false sense of security that led to today's 00-20 defeat. The stubbornness of some to refuse to see the damage that that the back door system is doing and has done to gaelic football since it's inception."
Nothing to do with the backdoor. This is all to do with the GAA doping Dublin and ignoring the plight of other counties.

Rolo2010 (National) - 21/11/2020 22:08:51

Killing Fields, you have bad habit of taking comments out of context. "Why would you not want to be closer to our close neighbours and far more important trading partners where growth can be much higher than the US." We're in the Single Market which is close enough. A federal Europe is different beast and would require giving up a lot more power to Brussels. That is what I am opposed to. The EU should be a free trade zone and nothing more. And growth is not much higher within the EU.

Rolo2010 (National) - 11/11/2020 21:23:40