Donegal Forum

Popular Posts from Commodore

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

NFL Division 2 - 8 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "some serious brown tongue-ing goin down on this thread by the way between Donegal and Meath fans :) Whats that all about ?"
Perhaps it stems from a wee gesture from Meath County secretary Mairead Delaney before the league match in Ballybofey, only days after a terrible tragedy which directly impacted players on the Donegal panel and many fans.

Commodore (National) - 25/03/2019 21:26:51

NFL Division 2 - 6 Like(s)

Replying To lilypad:  "Embarrassed? Get over your snowflake self. At least im honest no patronising pats on the back from me, we were awful against you up there, ive no problem admitting that, but id rather watch us than yous and from a neutral point of view id say if peiple were honest enough theyd agree."
I'd agree with that, Kildare are generally excellent to watch.

Commodore (National) - 26/02/2019 23:12:36

Mayo V Tyrone All-Ireland Football Final - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Curlew66:  "Nothing wrong with any of us putting local rivalries aside and getting behind our provincial winners in the All Ireland series. Galway gave the rest of us hope in '98 and '01 and remain the only team to bring Sam to Connacht in the past 55 years. Tyrone will be boosted by this impressive victory and may well become more formidable in Ulster. Looking at the four semi finalists Tyrone will have the toughest pathway to replicate their provincial win. Odds are that Dublin and Kerry will come through and probably Mayo again unless Galway can maintain their first half performance in the Connacht final for 70 mins . In this century one team from Connacht and Leinster , two from Munster but three from Ulster have won an All Ireland title so our Ulster friends aren't doing too bad at all."
Yeah usually if an Ulster team is contesting an All Ireland final, most fans in the other Ulster counties will be cheering them on (Even if its Tyrone), and 24 hours later immediately looking at how best to take lumps out of them next season.

Commodore (National) - 14/09/2021 13:08:11

Tyrone Vs Donegal - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Offtheball10:  "The talk of Donegal as a top 3/4 team needs to stop at this stage. Massively overhyped! When push comes to shove and it's a winner takes all championship game against a good side they far more often than not fall short. I get the point Ulster is competitive but they haven't won these type of games against non ulster sides either since 2014. No Semi Final performance since 2014 either in all of the different championship formats that have been played in recent years. (back door, super 8's, now back to traditional provincial format)"
I accept Donegal have not reached the All Ireland SF's and have not beaten the likes of Dublin, Mayo or Kerry since 2014, but there have been significant factors that have played into this, so be fair in your analysis. 1. Rory Gallaghers era 2015 - 2017 was the start of a major transition phase, many 2012 All Ireland winners were in their 30's and retiring and he was trying to bleed in new talent, and while I felt it wasn't handled as well as it could have been, it definitely impacted Rory's tenure. 2. Declan Bonner took over in 2018 and he won back to back Ulster titles with a really young side (Avg age 21/22), but just couldn't get us to the next level. Injuries since 2019, particularly defensive injuries have taken a toll on us entering those key games which cost us a place in the All Ireland SF. Team selection has been a big part of it too, but in fairness this was quite often due to injuries. Neil McGee's injury in the 4th minute against Tyrone, forced us to use a sub at the beginning of the match, meaning we had one less impact sub in the second half in that horrible heat. Michael Murphy's sending off before half time ensured Tyrone's kick-out in the 2nd half would be uncontested, and Tyrone could still put the full press on the Donegal kickout, meaning the percentages would be in Tyrone's favour and they would most like pull away in the 2nd half. Before Murphy was sent off, I actually felt it was an arm wrestle match we would win.

Commodore (National) - 20/07/2021 13:40:34

Move To National Forum Only Model - 4 Like(s)
Not liking the new move, It's going to be off-putting and while I understand some County forums get very little traffic, just looking at the main forum, it's a mess.

Commodore (National) - 30/09/2021 20:43:10

Donegal V Meath - 3 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Look it's hard to be by far the better team and get beat. Nothing to do with who donegal brought on, we handed them it on a plate. (Now fair play, they took it) Positives are that fantastic defense we have set up, one of the best in country, mcentee in midfield has eased the pressure there. But up front we still making silly mistakes, should have been out of sight by the last 10 mins."
You clearly weren't the better team by far, at best you were 'marginally' better for 25 mins of 1st half, when you lead by 1 point at half time, and 10-15 mins of 2nd half. You had a 10 minute purple patch at start of 2nd half, when Meath added 3 points to opened up a 4 point lead, but Donegal quickly re-calibrated and the tide actually turned then and Donegal dominated the last 20 -25 minutes, I should highlight that Meath didn't score for the last 20 minutes. You're conveniently ignoring the fact you played a very inexperienced Donegal side last night, the majority of which won't make the starting team come Summer. Meath need to be more honest of where they are at, hyping yourselves after your Senior team ran a Donegal 2nd string team close in a league match won't get you anywhere, you need a more honest look at where your at. Meath have talented players, but considering 2 of our full backs (Brendan McCole & Conor Morrison) are both 21, and debuting in league this year, and our other corner back Caolan Ward wasn't able to make our Championship team last season, should Meath not have ran riot? Meath should have been better than that.

Commodore (National) - 03/02/2019 14:08:50

Why Mayo Cant Win An All-Ireland - 3 Like(s)

Replying To Galway9801:  "Ulster pundits are often asked by the rté to give their opinions on games only involving Southern teams, the BBC would be well within their rights to bring Southern pundits on to their coverage, but I still don't think they will. The idea that only ulstermen should be asked to commentate and analyse ulster games by the BBC is silly,and (whisper it) partitionist. My original post was in reply to tirchonaill who accused the rté of anti ulster bias, when I called him out on the BBCs anti southern bias you said you didn't agree, without specifying why, instead segueing into their superior coverage. I allowed myself a smirk when you mentioned their superior camerawork, but I did ask you to be original so I guess that's fair enough, ( I don't think I've ever heard that point being made in relation to any sports coverage since the advent of HD, so it was original I'll give you that)"
I agree they could bring Southern pundits in for Ulster Championship matches covered by BBC, I don't think they are against that, but tbh they don't seem that well organized, as they recently asked Mickey Harte live on air after a match if he would join them the following weekend again. BBC is allowed very limited coverage to Ulster Championship matches, as many viewers within the six counties don't have terrestrial TV to RTE, and BBC don't have rights to other matches outside of Ulster, so focus is usually fixed to the two teams playing that day. RTE coverage usually has 3 pundits, Two main guys are Colm O'Rourke (Leinster) and Pat Spillane (Munster), and usually Kevin McStay (Connacht) or Sean Cavanagh (Ulster) join them depending on who is playing that week. RTE have full tv rights to cover all matches from all four Provinces and RTE are funded from all 4 Provinces (Donegal, Cavan & Monaghan in Ulster). SKY seem to have superior analysis, it think RTE is trying hard to catch up, but SKY is more factual and less political based analysis (No "Lets change the GAA rules and rid our world of this evil" style comments), I prefer listening to Jim McGuinness, James Horan, Kieran Donaghy, Peter Canavan etc, they give a better tactical insight than RTE, my favourite pundits on RTE are actually Kevin McStay and Ciaran Whelan.

Commodore (National) - 20/09/2021 16:11:08

Championship - 3 Like(s)
When Neil McGee got injured on the 4th minute, I knew that using a sub so early in those conditions would reduce our bench impact on later in the match, but as the first half of this match continued I felt we could still win it until Murphy got sent off, at which point I said it would be an uphill battle to stay with Tyrone for the full 2nd half. To the credit of these Donegal players, they did stay with Tyrone until the 60th minute, but the extra man and conditions really started to take their toll. This match wasn't lost due to player selection or tactics, it was just circumstances beyond our control that took it away from us. I'm not sure who is writing Michael Murphy off, but he has another couple of seasons in him yet and should stay. Before he got injured I thought he was on fire, and since then he was only recovering to full fitness, he definitely wasn't at full fitness in Championship this year. Neil McGee is another warrior, I admire these men, they really give it their all each and everytime they pull on that Donegal jersey and are leaders.

Commodore (Donegal) - 19/07/2021 15:02:21

Donegal V Meath - 3 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Sorry u clearly weren't at game or you looking at it through very donegal eyes. We were BY FAR the better team for a good hour of that game. And still managed to throw it away."
You didn't score in the last 20 minutes of the match, against what was a very young inexperienced team, particularly our full back line containing 2 x 21 year olds. If you were that good, why did you only lead by 1 point at half time, and lose by 2 points at full time. Meath lost to a 2nd string youthful Donegal team, 9 of the Donegal players playing last night were aged 22 or younger. Your acting like you went into the Lions Den in Ballybofey and ran Donegal's strongest side to the wire. If Meath were as good as you suggest, you wouldn't have lost that game last night.

Commodore (National) - 03/02/2019 17:20:11

Mayo V Meath - 3 Like(s)

Replying To Whyalwaysmeath:  "Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Keeper and kickout strategy badly need work ahead of next year, need to find a midfielder from somewhere too and strengthen up there and we do need a few new forwards to liven things up. The likes of Conlon will improve next year too, shot selection and patience on the ball needs work, the wrong options were taken too much this year, shooting from bad angles / under pressure. Goal chances need to be taken too, lost count of the amount of goal chances we squandered in the past few games. We are also a bit naieve and nice still, don't have players with the edge that you need (polite way of putting it)."
It's Meath's attacking game plan that needs tweaking, with some adjustments to their running lines, you might see existing Meath Forwards look a lot better. Also they need to spend the winter working on their long-kicking game, transfer the ball faster to the forwards, as I noted Mayo were able to constantly reset for each Meath attack quite easily. Cillian O'Sullivan is a serious talent for Meath, his pace and strength are electrifying, he is a serious player. Kerry are raging hot favourites now in Navan, but I think Donegal, Tyrone and others can attest to just how difficult a place Navan has been to visit in previous years. Meath have seriously improved this season, and I think Meath could really give Kerry a game there. I think Meath are going in the right direction, they are back in Division 1, reached the Super 8's and stuck it to both Donegal and Mayo for over 50 minutes in each game. There is a foundation there to build upon, apart from the heavy loss to Dublin, which Dublin can do to any team if they get a few scores on the bounce. Meath have performed pretty well and I thought gave a respectable performance yesterday and also in Ballybofey, as a late flurry of scores in both games maybe skewed how well Meath actually performed. They have two weeks now to work on weaknesses, and they could well cause Kerry serious problems, certainly frustrate them.

Commodore (National) - 22/07/2019 18:58:12

Donegal V Meath - 2 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Looking v good and still loosing is something we have to sort out ASAP. This is mcentee biggest hurdle, he has molded a team that are quite good and could gain promotion and super 8s. The problem is mental fatigue, fragility or whatever. This now has to be his number one priority."
I think some Meath posters are getting carried away here, you weren't playing a full strength Donegal last night. I believe only a handful of Donegal's starting 15 last night will be in the running for Championship Starting 15, and some of those players clearly aren't match fully match fit yet. When people say Meath dominated a large part of the first half, and the 3rd quarter, it's misleading. Yes Meath were slightly better during these spells, but there was very little in really, as the half time score shows. They looked a little more composed, but it was still a tight match. Meath had a purple patch in the 3rd quarter, where they quickly rattled off a number of points to open up a 4 point lead, Donegal quickly identified the weak spots and corrected them, and it went back to being tight. When Donegal introduced the key subs approaching the final quarter, Donegal took control and Meath didn't score for the final 20 minutes of the match. Donegal dominated possession, but wasted a lot of attacking opportunities due to inexperience up front, keeping in mind we had a load of players last night who are aged 22/23 or younger. I don't think its a real test of Meath last night.

Commodore (National) - 03/02/2019 12:41:58

New Donegal Manager - 2 Like(s)
As for sylvester maguires article today he talks a lot of sense a good football brain and he thinks Rory was a job in progress. I totally agree. rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts:248 - 13/09/2017 14:23:03 I totally disagree on this, Rory had 3 full seasons in charge and more competitive games than probably every other manager except Brian McEniff and Jim McGuinness. - He stuck with over-30's in 2015 and 2016, some men we all knew were past it after the end of the 2014 season. - Repeatedly made the same mistakes in bench management in big games. - Had too many petty dislikes or disagreements that were seeing key men leave the panel, when a good manager should work to keep key people. - Failed to form a strong central core/Spine to the team. - Left the team too lightweight, unable to compete physically with the big teams, its about a blend of pace and physicality and we lacked physicality. I know Rory has a loyal following in Kilcar, Killybegs and the Southwest in general, but the Donegal transition was prolonged and ultimately more severe due to the exclusion of many players in their 20's and some poor decision making. Few pundits or Journalists so far have honestly assessed these decisions and considered all of the associated factors when reviewing his 3 full years in charge. I supported his appointment, I really wanted him to be successful and continue the Donegal party, but it didn't work out.

Commodore (Donegal) - 13/09/2017 18:03:03

2021 Rankings So Far - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Sweetspot:  "I'd be extremely curious as to how Kildare, Meath and Westmeath currently match up with the likes of Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal. Don't think there's as much in it as you'll make out. Really wish there was a championship restructure/overhaul"
I don't think there is a hugh amount between the side ranked No 4 - 12, most encounters between these sides do tend to be cagey tight affairs. Donegal have played Meath quite a few times in recent seasons in both League and Championship, and most of those games were really tight, but Donegal still edged the key matches including beating Meath by 9 points in the Super 8's in 2019 and the Division 2 final. Tyrone beat Kildare in 2019, in what was a tight match. Monaghan have beat Kildare in 2014 and 2018 Championships, both very tight and entertaining match. But over the last 10 years, Donegal, Monaghan and Tyrone have still won key encounters when they faced these sides, and have been able to maintain Division 1 status, so I think the rankings are justified, but these change year to year, so maybe next year Meath, Kildare or Westmeath might make the leap.

Commodore (National) - 21/07/2021 09:39:54

Replying To gunman:  "It is hard to take these critics of McHugh seriously.It would appear that there are other agendas or grievances at play here clouding their judgement."
Maybe some people do, but I honestly have no personal or club agenda against Ryan McHugh. He is unsuitable for wing back, and management persist with giving him a automatic starting sport, despite him being unable to cut it in that position for a few seasons now. If he is played at wing or center forward, he could possibly be super effective again. I always look at Donegal team in an unbiased manner, and if a player is unfit or no longer performing at the highest level, its only fair that others in the squad are given there chance. The senior players talk about the importance of squad depth, but that is meaningless if management are taking the wrong players off or if some players are deemed to important to replace even if they are injured or not fully fit.

Commodore (Donegal) - 28/09/2021 17:13:14

NFL Division 2 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To tiobraid:  "I think Clare'sbiggest loss all year has been by 3 points and they hammered Cork In Ennis already. I haven't seen Meath play yet this year but I've seen a few of the teams they have beaten and going on that and Clare's form this year and over the last few years, I really think Clare have a good chance of beating Meath. Div 2 this year has been weaker than other years in my opinion, which is extra disappointing from a Tipp perspective."
Hard to know how strong Division 2 really is this year, but I suspect its definitely a lot stronger than the last year or so. From a Donegal perspective, Meath so far are probably the standout best side we played in Division 2. It was extremely tight for the whole match, and Meath were unlucky to lose. While we lost against Tipperary and Fermanagh, we were leading comfortably in the opening half against both sides, and poor second half performance really sank us, conceding 3 very sloppy goals against Tipp and going down to 13 men against Fermanagh tipped the scales in those games. In the Meath match that didn't happen, it was a battle from the get go. I expect the Kildare game to be really tough, probably as tough as Meath match. Hard to know which Cork will show up, but if they bring it, they will be hard to overcome down in Pairc Ui Rinn.

Commodore (National) - 09/03/2019 00:29:52

Ulster Championship - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think a low key win would suit best. And without getting too far ahead of myself another low key win against Down/Antrim. Monaghan will be red hot favourites for Ulster now but I refuse to believe they're that far ahead of us. I would quietly fancy our chances against them if we have a full deck."
Derry could be a tricky game, they have a good idea of our current strategy and players, but we have no real idea how they will setup or who will start for them. We know Derry never adapted to defensive football fully, and they tend to thrive against more open teams (See Mayo last year). It will probably be a far tougher game than we got from Cavan, but still one we should win. One obvious thing from Tyrone v Monaghan is that both sides are operating with a similar attacking game to us, and both sides, but particularly Monaghan look stronger defensively than us. Although I think we have a stronger full forward line than Tyrone, and our collective attack is probably stronger than either side, which might take the gloss off them defensively if we meet again. But we will need to tighten up at the back!!

Commodore (Donegal) - 23/05/2018 19:11:28

Question For Mayo Fans - 2 Like(s)

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Brolly has Mayo connections and loves the attention. I honestly think he's jealous of the media adulation that modern athletes get. Look at me I'm Joe Brolee! No doubt if Aidan was 5 foot 6 and a butty ugly corner back there'd be less people bothered by the attention he gets. No more than any Mayo player he hasn't a Celtic cross yet. He's not at the Cavanagh, Murphy, or Donaghy level, never has been been but he's a sound man and one of our own so we'll always stick up for him. He' s not an intercounty forward for me but luckily the sideline made a good call. Put him back between the 40s and throw him up front the odd time. But the man will run until he falls down for the jersey. I wouldn't stick up for anyone that's abusive at a match, whether they're from Mayo or Malaysia. Especially bucks with a few pints on board that think they're hilarious when there's a crowd around. They need to cop on to themselves or be asked to leave."
Joe Brolly is a mouth piece, who along with Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke, lacks a proper understanding of the tactical side of the modern game. I prefer watching matches on Sky Sports or BBC NI, because usually they actually analyze the game in an unbiased manner and focus on where it is tactically going wrong. On RTE Sport they rarely just focus on the game tactically, it turns into a "Whats wrong with the game or the GAA rules". Regarding Aidan O'Shea, I disagree with you on that he is not at Cavanagh, Murphy or Donaghy level, he was never a natural insider forward, although he could still do serious damage when placed there, at his natural berth out the field he rivals many of his peers who hold a Celtic Cross. Personally I hold him in high regard, like many of the other Mayo players.

Commodore (National) - 19/08/2021 09:53:53

Donegal V Meath - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Curlew66:  "Lovely gesture by Meath County secretary in memory of young lives lost in Donegal road accident. Puts everything in perspective, well done Mairead Delaney. Best of luck to both teams in 2019."
Yes it was, very poignant moment that won't be forgotten. It was tough week for a number of our panel, a few of the players were good friends with the fellas that lost their lives.

Commodore (National) - 05/02/2019 15:02:07

NFL 2021 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To panamasam:  "Should be home advantage for group winners and 3rd place finishers in the relegation games sure isn't that how these things normally play out? But this is the GAA after all who used the covid situation to casually forget about the correct provincial match ups in the semi finals last year. To be honest couldn't care less where the Dubs game is as the Down game is really the main focus. However if a Galway supporter I would be absolutely fuming at their joke of a situation having to play away to Monaghan."
The GAA would have anticipated that Monaghan would be in one of the Playoffs and must not have felt that additional punishment was warranted. I can't for the life of me understand how we have a situation where teams won't be able to contest a league final because of the preliminary round of Championship, this should have been considered when scheduling fixtures.

Commodore (Donegal) - 31/05/2021 11:06:50

Replying To rorysboys:  "[quote=Commodore:  "[quote=rorysboys:  "[quote=Commodore:  "I'm not against Declan Bonner staying on for another year, but if he does, he needs to make some harsh decisions around our back six, that is our problem area regardless of whether its Declan or anybody else managing the team. Starting back six against Derry E McHugh, S McMenamin, N McGee, E Ban Gallagher, R McHugh, O McFF. Starting back six against Tyrone B McCole, N McGee, O McFF E Ban Gallagher, R McHugh, P Mogan Hugh McFadden has been thrown in there to try and shore up the defense, but I think the half back line is simply too light."
I know our defence is weak , all good footballers but not natural tight marking defenders. Reason I'm standing up for bonner is he knows Donegal football inside out and he would have left no stone unturned trying to get these defenders. In my honest opinion at the moment we don't have these defenders hopefully in a few years with club football becoming more open we'll get these type of players. I would have big hopes for young grant from termon but it'll be at least 2 to 3 years till he is ready. Doesn't matter who manages us next year the problem will not go away. Morrison will be back but he'll be two years out of football so much like Gillespie we can't be pinning our hopes on him."]I kinda agree regarding Declan Bonner, I think his management team are probably better than any other in the County at the moment, I'm not sure if Declan is as meticulous as Jim McGuinness or has the same vision, like McGuinness didn't have natural players for every position in 2011, so he put Rory Kavanagh on a programme to build him up for midfield in 2011, if you don't have players for certain positions, compensate and adapt. Declan Bonner should be looking at our defence and planning something similar, My solution would be to beef up the half back line, Eoghan Ban Gallagher, Caolan Ward, Paul Brennan, with Hugh McFadden sitting in front of them, maybe look at Tony McCleneghan and other options. Physical defensive half back options who can also break forward."]I don't think bonner will stay on he's giving it his all and win every ulster championship from u15 to senior. The man could feel enough is enough. But I would be worried about his successor if he does choose to go. You'll always get the usual suspects who fancy themselves who I wudnt let near the job."]I agree with you on the usual suspects. This Donegal team has serious quality and depth of talent, a lot of less capable managers with clout within the County would probably fancy a shot, thinking they couldn't go too far wrong with that team and managing Donegal Seniors would be a big thing on their CV. But we are no longer a County satisfied with reaching the odd Ulster Final, we want to be challenging for and winning the All Ireland more regularly, its natural progression for a Footballing county with huge development work going on. We need a professional management team that can make that happen, and must be brutally critical in assessing the credentials of any candidate.

Commodore (Donegal) - 22/07/2021 08:03:38