Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurlers 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Looks like the next senior manager will be either Kevin O' Brien or Ryan O' Dwyer."
Lads is this what we've come to? Ryan O'Dwyer

Coached Longwood and Fingallians! Fairly sure neither of them are even senior!

Why are we obsessed with a 'name'

Isn't this O'Dwyer lad mates with our esteemed full back?

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 09/09/2021 19:48:47    2379168

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "Lads is this what we've come to? Ryan O'Dwyer

Isn't this O'Dwyer lad mates with our esteemed full back?"
A joke... You have a situation where a couple of older members of the panel could decide who manages the county. Hopefully new chairman sees through this rubbish and its not the same old story in westmeath...

Onionbagger (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 10/09/2021 08:12:39    2379226

Link

Hopefully The Kevin Obrien man gets it, he seems professional in his approach and down to earth. Ryan Odwyer is just always lauded by the media , i dont know why, he was over rated as a player (had his own laochra gael show on tg4 which was baffling) and only coached two other clubs longwood were senior alright but didnt do a lot with him. Probably the fact he played with dublin was the reason the media loves him.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 559 - 10/09/2021 11:55:35    2379294

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "Lads is this what we've come to? Ryan O'Dwyer

Isn't this O'Dwyer lad mates with our esteemed full back?"
is he?

Bunbros11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 37 - 10/09/2021 12:02:40    2379296

Link

Replying To Onionbagger:  "A joke... You have a situation where a couple of older members of the panel could decide who manages the county. Hopefully new chairman sees through this rubbish and its not the same old story in westmeath..."
There is way too much player power and cronyism involved in that panel, players themselves choosing where they play and you just have to look at some of the panel members to realise that these kind of influences are at play, some lads clearly not good enough but always on the match day panel but nearly never get a run. Doesn't surprise me in the least to hear these influences at play and by all accounts the same players are at it consistently at club level too, vetoing manager candidates and calling the shots. Half the problem is the hurling board itself who indulge this carry on

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 125 - 10/09/2021 12:39:21    2379313

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "There is way too much player power and cronyism involved in that panel, players themselves choosing where they play and you just have to look at some of the panel members to realise that these kind of influences are at play, some lads clearly not good enough but always on the match day panel but nearly never get a run. Doesn't surprise me in the least to hear these influences at play and by all accounts the same players are at it consistently at club level too, vetoing manager candidates and calling the shots. Half the problem is the hurling board itself who indulge this carry on"
And that's exactly why they don't want clonkills O'Brien.. He dropped a lot of high profile Clonkill players for county Finals.. Known to be ruthless.

Onionbagger (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 10/09/2021 14:12:40    2379351

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "How is Jamie Mulkerrins a proven better keeper than other lads when he plays at underage level? Getting more ridiculous. Who is Shane Williams better than? Darragh Clinton? Niall O' Brien? Brendan Murtagh? Derek Mc? Niall Mitchell? He certainly has oodles of potential and with his background the potential to be a senior player for years. Potential however."
Ye guys seem well informed.have the board interviewed O Brien and Dwyer? Tell us who are these players who should be starting?I follow Westmeath hurling and as far as I could see last management picked best team.We won the Mcdonagh cup the second biggest All Ireland competition and some guys on here just want to bitch.What is the agenda???

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 958 - 11/09/2021 07:32:02    2379532

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Ye guys seem well informed.have the board interviewed O Brien and Dwyer? Tell us who are these players who should be starting?I follow Westmeath hurling and as far as I could see last management picked best team.We won the Mcdonagh cup the second biggest All Ireland competition and some guys on here just want to bitch.What is the agenda???"
Ah here, we beat 3 poor division 2 teams to win the weakest Joe Mc Donagh since its inception... A guy Galway didn't want came in and walked onto the team... No ties to westmeath at all. We'd to put the minor manager in goals as no one else wanted to play there..

Onionbagger (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 11/09/2021 09:42:59    2379547

Link

Replying To Onionbagger:  "Ah here, we beat 3 poor division 2 teams to win the weakest Joe Mc Donagh since its inception... A guy Galway didn't want came in and walked onto the team... No ties to westmeath at all. We'd to put the minor manager in goals as no one else wanted to play there.."
That goal keeper has proven himself to be outstanding this year in my opinion

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 113 - 11/09/2021 11:17:54    2379567

Link

Have heard through the grapevine that Joe Fortune is about to be announced as the new manager.

Kevin O'Brien on ticket as a selector by all accounts and will remain as U20 manager. This is good for progression as the 20s players are full of praise for him.

Kind of disappointing that we have gone outside the county again… But hopefully it goes well

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 17/09/2021 23:43:26    2381417

Link

Replying To CaddyParroll:  "Have heard through the grapevine that Joe Fortune is about to be announced as the new manager.

Kevin O'Brien on ticket as a selector by all accounts and will remain as U20 manager. This is good for progression as the 20s players are full of praise for him.

Kind of disappointing that we have gone outside the county again… But hopefully it goes well"
Heard this morning that Kevin O'Brien stood down as westmeath U20 manager and will not be involved....

Onionbagger (Westmeath) - Posts: 17 - 18/09/2021 10:28:01    2381431

Link

Replying To Onionbagger:  "Heard this morning that Kevin O'Brien stood down as westmeath U20 manager and will not be involved...."
My info on Fortune could be wrong so as source was sure O'Brien was in as a selector and they were looking for a coach to complete the team

O'Brien a loss to 20s if true, they were very good this year

CaddyParroll (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 19/09/2021 08:43:24    2381561

Link

I believe both were interviewed and the outside man is the preferred candidate. Unsuccessful candidate non too pleased and has stepped away.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 809 - 19/09/2021 10:19:32    2381573

Link