Roscommon Forum

Best Roscommon Team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Ros2013:  "Disgraceful comments above regards Seamus o Neill. Poor fella suffered horrendous back pain because of his commitment to Roscommon and I saw first hand the level of dedication he showed to the club often playing a few years ago when medically he really should have been resting. Buy hey, the so called experts always know best!!!"
You, not the Shack who was a giant for Ros as a young lad but could possibly have achieved more which is what posters have said.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1319 - 31/03/2020 18:01:58    2275115

Link

Replying To endgame:  "You, not the Shack who was a giant for Ros as a young lad but could possibly have achieved more which is what posters have said."
His dedication was questioned. Don't be sensitive

Ros2013 (Roscommon) - Posts: 470 - 31/03/2020 18:35:18    2275120

Link

Replying To Ros2013:  "His dedication was questioned. Don't be sensitive"
Are you his Mother by any chance.?

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1319 - 31/03/2020 20:13:39    2275130

Link

Can we just stick to the discussion about the best roscommon players to wear the primrose and blue jersey and stop with the childish comments

hontherossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 18 - 01/04/2020 08:08:35    2275145

Link

If you will allow an oldtimer to poke his head in (and to pass the time) I would propose a team from players I have seen.Yes,it goes beyond 1976.
Aidan Brady
Harry Keegan
Pat Lindsay
John O.Moran
Batt Lynch
Gerry O'Malley
Frank Kelly
Dermot Earley
Eamon Donohue
Des Dockery
Don Feely
Enda Smith
Frankie Dolan
Micky Freyne
Tony McManus

The forwards are the hard bit as Roscommon were traditionally better defenders than attackers.

worple (Roscommon) - Posts: 285 - 02/04/2020 23:12:33    2275238

Link

Replying To worple:  "If you will allow an oldtimer to poke his head in (and to pass the time) I would propose a team from players I have seen.Yes,it goes beyond 1976.
Aidan Brady
Harry Keegan
Pat Lindsay
John O.Moran
Batt Lynch
Gerry O'Malley
Frank Kelly
Dermot Earley
Eamon Donohue
Des Dockery
Don Feely
Enda Smith
Frankie Dolan
Micky Freyne
Tony McManus

The forwards are the hard bit as Roscommon were traditionally better defenders than attackers."
I agree with you about defenders but all the same I would take those 6 forwards you named any day.

OntheRoss (Roscommon) - Posts: 5 - 03/04/2020 11:24:04    2275251

Link

Replying To worple:  "If you will allow an oldtimer to poke his head in (and to pass the time) I would propose a team from players I have seen.Yes,it goes beyond 1976.
Aidan Brady
Harry Keegan
Pat Lindsay
John O.Moran
Batt Lynch
Gerry O'Malley
Frank Kelly
Dermot Earley
Eamon Donohue
Des Dockery
Don Feely
Enda Smith
Frankie Dolan
Micky Freyne
Tony McManus

The forwards are the hard bit as Roscommon were traditionally better defenders than attackers."
Legends in that team, some before my time.I often as a child heard stories of the great Gerry O'Malley .There was the broken crossbar in Castlebar in the 1962 Connacht Final and when play resumed,O'Malley turned the match around and Ros beat Galway by a point.We got to the All-Ireland Final that year losing to Kerry in what was the first ever All-Ireland Football Final to be televised live.I have my own story of Gerry O'Malley.In 2003,Roscommon had a run in the qualifiers and reached the All-Ireland quarter Final against Kerry.The Friday before the match,Rte did a preview which included an interview with Gerry O'Malley who is now deceased but who was living in Dublin at that time.It was the first time I had ever seen the great man of whom I had heard so much and I watched the interview intently.2 days later I was driving up to Roscommon ahead of the quarter final which was on the Bank Holiday Monday.A funeral was coming out of Kiltoom cemetry and I slowed my car and I couldn't believe it but standing beside my car was the man I recognised from the previous Friday night's television as the great Gerry O'Malley.I wound down the window and shook his hand.I still remember what I said to him that day,I said Gerry, men who are now dead in North Roscommon spoke to men about what a great player you were for Roscommon.A very special moment and i'll never forget it.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1319 - 03/04/2020 15:44:47    2275272

Link