Monaghan Forum

National Football league Division 2

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

My vote would be for Clerkin and Hughes to start midfield if Lennon is out. I think Clerkin has regained some form, I was at Laois game and I thought he performed well and he was effective when he came on on Sunday, although much of that was against a depleted Donegal midfield.

I know Darren Hughes has traditionally been a back , but I think he is more suited to the role of midfield where he can be paired with the big centrefield names like S Kavanagh et al. Anyway, most of the times positions mean little when we play the system we played the last day.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 29/04/2014 14:08:03    1582045

Link

Congrats to Monaghan, no doubt ye wont go too mad. What happened to the rumour that most these boys were heading to the retirement home contented with last years ulster title ??. Maybe that was wishful thinkin in the neighbours house !! Mind you Ulster is a vengeful province especially for previous years champs

facer4home (Cavan) - Posts: 116 - 29/04/2014 14:21:19    1582059

Link

That is bad news on Lennon for sure. A broken/cracked bone might have been quicker to heal, its more of a 'known quantity', ligament growth isn't quite so straightforward. Wouldn't be expecting to see him on 15th June at all. It could be a fair bit longer than that, depending on severity of tear.

For sure, Hughes to start midfield, alongside Lennon or AN Other. I don't think Dick is necessarily the man to start, but we don't have many options there in terms of men to win primary ball. In the few minutes between Lennons injury and the red card, we lost repeated kickouts to Donegal, Dick just didn't seem to be able to win the aerial duals. Over the years I would always seen Lennon as the ball winner, and Dick as the carrier. Darren can do both. Can somebody please wrap him in cotton wool until 15th June...

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 397 - 29/04/2014 14:23:04    1582063

Link

Yeah, Darren Hughes is a definite at midfield for me. He is one of the most complete footballers around, he can snuff out attacks in defence then get up the pitch to stick over points from 45m, and he has the engine to do it all. No-brainer for me. Plus we have plenty more options in defence so we don't necessarily need him there.

But we also need Lennon there. As I say we don't have a similar replacement for him, a man of his size to win regular ball from kickouts. Hopefully he'll be ok. Dick is a good worker but I'm not sure if he can put in 70 minutes anymore.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 29/04/2014 15:22:43    1582102

Link

Irish News story today says Lennon be back training in 3-4 weeks and that MOR expects him to be available for the Tyrone/Down game. It's a torn ligament in the ankle and was there before the League final.

MiseMuineachain (Monaghan) - Posts: 212 - 30/04/2014 21:59:24    1582778

Link