Mayo Forum

Club Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Mayo Senior Football Championship Semifinals:

Westport V Breaffy
Venue: Castlebar

An repeat of the group game in the 1st round which Westport prevail.
I witnessed both teams last weekend and both team need to tidy up in the backs as they conceded 3-6 & 3-8 respectively which would lose you most games.
Westport are a fabulous team to watch quick passing and unselfish plays from their forwards. Breaffy rely to much on Conor O'Shea and Colm Flynn for scores while nearly all Westport players scored the last match.

Westport by 2.

Ballina Stephenites V Knockmore

Another repeat of a classic round 3 which Ballina prevail by 1.
This semi final teams have been defending strongly in their wins over Aghamore & Ballintubber respectively. Padraig O'Hora was excellent last week blocking and defending very hard. Same for Knockmore defending was excellent V Ballintubber. Darren McHale V Padraig O'Hora tie.

Ballina Stephenites by 3.

Senior Relegation Final:
Claremorris V Bohola Moy Davitts

It was expected that Moy Davitts would be in this relegation final and they survived by the skin of their teeth last year relegation final V Hollymount/Carramore. Claremorris I was expecting them to make an impression in their new management team but fail. John Kelly team trainer of Claremorris and was the manager of Bohola Moy Davitts for half the season last year so Moy Davitts be determined not to lose this tie.

Bohola Moy Davitts by 1.

footie16 (Mayo) - Posts: 196 - 04/09/2020 21:43:34    2290611

Link

Replying To footie16:  "Mayo Senior Football Championship Semifinals:

Westport V Breaffy

An repeat of the group game in the 1st round which Westport prevail.
I witnessed both teams last weekend and both team need to tidy up in the backs as they conceded 3-6 & 3-8 respectively which would lose you most games.
Westport are a fabulous team to watch quick passing and unselfish plays from their forwards. Breaffy rely to much on Conor O'Shea and Colm Flynn for scores while nearly all Westport players scored the last match.

Westport by 2.

Ballina Stephenites V Knockmore

Another repeat of a classic round 3 which Ballina prevail by 1.
This semi final teams have been defending strongly in their wins over Aghamore & Ballintubber respectively. Padraig O'Hora was excellent last week blocking and defending very hard. Same for Knockmore defending was excellent V Ballintubber. Darren McHale V Padraig O'Hora tie.

Ballina Stephenites by 3.

Senior Relegation Final:
Claremorris V Bohola Moy Davitts

It was expected that Moy Davitts would be in this relegation final and they survived by the skin of their teeth last year relegation final V Hollymount/Carramore. Claremorris I was expecting them to make an impression in their new management team but fail. John Kelly team trainer of Claremorris and was the manager of Bohola Moy Davitts for half the season last year so Moy Davitts be determined not to lose this tie.

Bohola Moy Davitts by 1."
hope you didn't have an aul accumulator on at the weekend footie16

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 07/09/2020 11:45:23    2290945

Link

Replying To GalwaysFinest:  "hope you didn't have an aul accumulator on at the weekend footie16"
No thankfully not LOL

footie16 (Mayo) - Posts: 196 - 07/09/2020 13:15:39    2290976

Link

In fairness to the people predicting on here, not many people throughout the county got a lot of the results right this weekend. The unpredictability of the championships this year are making it a great year for club football imo.
So down to the finals now... and its still hard to call from here.
How many finals/semi finals in the last few years have Breaffy/Kiltimagh/Kilmaine lost?
They might not get an opportunity like this again for a some time so they will hoping to make this year count.

Senior - I can't call it. Knockmore playing the better football imo but Breaffy are battle hardened.

Inter - Kiltimagh have to be favourites but .....they have fallen at the final hurdle before so the doubt still remains, although it would be a huge ask for a Balla side who were junior only a few seasons ago but they have won the last 2 games as outsiders so will quietly fancy their chances.

Junior - Both teams could well have lost the semi finals so I think whoever performs on the day will win it.
Again you would have to fancy Kilmaine but remember last year in the semi .. I think Kilmeena were 5 or 6 points in the second half and got a black card and lost their captain to injury before Kilmaine piped them by a point or 2.

So after all that I will go for 3 draws!!!!

richardcrowe (Mayo) - Posts: 57 - 07/09/2020 16:44:11    2291010

Link

Replying To richardcrowe:  "In fairness to the people predicting on here, not many people throughout the county got a lot of the results right this weekend. The unpredictability of the championships this year are making it a great year for club football imo.
So down to the finals now... and its still hard to call from here.
How many finals/semi finals in the last few years have Breaffy/Kiltimagh/Kilmaine lost?
They might not get an opportunity like this again for a some time so they will hoping to make this year count.

Senior - I can't call it. Knockmore playing the better football imo but Breaffy are battle hardened.

Inter - Kiltimagh have to be favourites but .....they have fallen at the final hurdle before so the doubt still remains, although it would be a huge ask for a Balla side who were junior only a few seasons ago but they have won the last 2 games as outsiders so will quietly fancy their chances.

Junior - Both teams could well have lost the semi finals so I think whoever performs on the day will win it.
Again you would have to fancy Kilmaine but remember last year in the semi .. I think Kilmeena were 5 or 6 points in the second half and got a black card and lost their captain to injury before Kilmaine piped them by a point or 2.

So after all that I will go for 3 draws!!!!"
The unpredictability is making this club championship the best in years on years. I'd back Knockmore for the final now, thought they'd scrap through Ballina - the thing is, Knockmore never look like been opened up to concede goals, the only ones they've conceded are a mistake in the group, and yesterday the only real chance Ballina had was the short kickout. Their intensity in defence is wild.

Breaffy have a huge physical middle, with a few tasty forwards, but unless they adopt a sweeper, Knockmore will make hay up there- unless they've learned a lot from the earlier games. I'm expecting a high scoring final anyways.

Would be amazing to see Balla win Inter as complete outsiders, after only coming up from Junior. I never gave them a hope- mind you, I didn't give Kilti much hope either. Was sure HC/Cross/Ballinrobe/Haunis would win it. Madness. Balla have been playing tasty football, I'm going to give the the nod- support the underdogs, as they say!

July29th (Mayo) - Posts: 10 - 07/09/2020 17:23:37    2291015

Link

This week county finals preview from ah ref:

Here's a show for you… County Finals Preview episode of Ah Ref
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0IfKAPki5XbwoVBOqCtKhR?si=3gqC8lXzTmO028286mSPqA

footie16 (Mayo) - Posts: 196 - 15/09/2020 20:58:36    2292345

Link

Senior - Ill be going for Knockmore, they can match the physicality of Breaffy and all there forwards can take a score. They will have a plan for handling Aidan O Shea but alot will depend on how O Shea does play, and the effect he can have to the scoreboard, Breaffy will need goals.
Knockmore by 2

Intermediate - Surely Kilti will finally get there county final win, in the year when everyone was writing them off and that suited them. Id love to see Balla win it, been great achievement by them to get this far and finals take life of there own. They play similar games, both running games, both have good free takers and both can hit long range frees.
Kilitimagh by 3

Junior - tightest of all the games, very hard too call. Cill comhain were nearly the better team in the semi but were far to open at the back and kilmaine got easy goals. Kilmaine are a good team and have found the knack of getting goals but not too many can kick a point, and Barrett is vital for them to score frees.
Shrule were in control of the semi with Kilmeena but seemed to panic and fair play to kilmeena they didnt and won it. They have a well balanced team and have a few that can get a score, id be worried that there full back is weak and can be got at.
Ill go for Kilmeena, just about, by 1

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 424 - 19/09/2020 09:12:25    2292993

Link

From a neutral POV I feel the ref was very much knockmores 16th man I'm 2nd half, some mad calls not been given against knock and then pull in breaffy for similar or less fouls. Feel for Aidan, needed other leaders to step up but never did, lost 4 finals since 2013 or something hard to take

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 20/09/2020 19:34:17    2293240

Link

After patiently waiting while the hurling played out their extra time I fully expected TG4 to show the whole football game slightly deferred. Of course TG4 couldn't do the sensible thing and instead joined the game live just before halftime. Pathetic.....in these days when we can't go to games.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 520 - 20/09/2020 20:30:59    2293256

Link

Replying To ponga:  "After patiently waiting while the hurling played out their extra time I fully expected TG4 to show the whole football game slightly deferred. Of course TG4 couldn't do the sensible thing and instead joined the game live just before halftime. Pathetic.....in these days when we can't go to games."
The first half was streamed on YouTube

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 190 - 20/09/2020 20:39:23    2293259

Link

Up in Dublin, was streaming it on youtube, when the Youtube stream ended, TG4 player wouldn't let us watch the rest, saying streaming wasn't allowed in our region. Would loved to have seen the second half! Had to listen to the rest on midwest!

July29th (Mayo) - Posts: 10 - 20/09/2020 22:16:54    2293300

Link

Replying To July29th:  "Up in Dublin, was streaming it on youtube, when the Youtube stream ended, TG4 player wouldn't let us watch the rest, saying streaming wasn't allowed in our region. Would loved to have seen the second half! Had to listen to the rest on midwest!"
Do yee not have TVs in Dublin now as well since the lock down? It was on tg4 channel after the hurling, joined the 27th minute of the 1st half

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 21/09/2020 07:21:34    2293333

Link

Congratulations to Castlebar Mitchels (Minor) Kilmaine (Junior) Balla (Intermediate) & Knockmore (Senior) on their victories and it's a shame we won't have a provincial championship!

footie16 (Mayo) - Posts: 196 - 21/09/2020 09:54:04    2293345

Link

Replying To footie16:  "Congratulations to Castlebar Mitchels (Minor) Kilmaine (Junior) Balla (Intermediate) & Knockmore (Senior) on their victories and it's a shame we won't have a provincial championship!"
Sure yee would be embarrassed by Corofin;)

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 747 - 22/09/2020 00:33:22    2293495

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Sure yee would be embarrassed by Corofin;)"
There are enough Galway clubs getting embarrassed by Corofin these days ;) They would probably embarrass a few county teams too mind you...

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10347 - 24/09/2020 09:49:01    2293866

Link