Westmeath Forum

Popular Posts from Jack_Sparrow

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Cleverest / wittiest GAA flags - 6 Like(s)
Luke Dempsey was managing Westmeath versus Meath under Sean Boylan in those epic matches back in 2001. The Meath Banner read; Luke is warm but Sean is Boylan.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 16/08/2017 16:57:27

Support Rant - 6 Like(s)

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Yeah there are definitely layers of GAA supporter People who can only name the well known players at county level and wander along when there is a glamour tie. People who know the main stay of the county team and others can name fellas who are liable to break into the starting eleven in the county panel. Others can rattle of the minor county team big names, or better still name them all and the fellas they think should be playing instead. After that you are down to real hardcore fellas who are broken into the subsets of supporter as the country I think the majority of GAA supporters only know of new county players when the championship comes around and just know the mainstays of the team. Each to thier own. But it is annoying if you go to all the games and are struggling to get tickets for a semi-final/AI final"
The starting eleven ?

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 24/06/2017 21:06:22

B Flynn's comments on A O'Shea - 3 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "You do realise Bernard has zero links to Meath anymore? He lives works owns businesses coaches club all in Westmeath, add to that all of his children wear Westmeath jerseys and support Westmeath along with Bernard and his wife. Just thought id throw that in their, as your comment was nonsense and based on 1980s and nothing to do with present day."
He did however spill sweat and blood and win All Ireland medals with Meath so that will always trump over a keyboard supporters CV no matter what year it is.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 18/05/2017 22:35:47

Cork should lodge complaint - 3 Like(s)

Replying To KK1926:  "WUM of the new millenium.... And the winner is.. you've guessed it!! And we're delighted to announce that the prize is a one way trip to inner Mongolia in a location where there is absolutely no internet connection!"
You will feel better overall if you relax a bit on here, like your "brother" from Laois.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 23/07/2017 14:34:03

Tipperary V Westmeath - 3 Like(s)
Im from Westmeath but you can't have it every way. The smaller counties complain about being treated differently from the big guns then they want special treatment. They were drawn away,tough luck. The Westmeath chairman is letting himself down making this public. By all means chance your arm in private if you really want to but don't make Tipp look like bad guys because they are only claiming what they are entitled to. Take it as a sign of respect. You are being treated as an equal not a special case.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 28/06/2017 14:54:48

Cork should lodge complaint - 3 Like(s)

Replying To KK1926:  "I suppose it's not unusual for brothers to speak/write alike. Anyway you're using it as a deflection from criticism of another of your wonderful threads. Trying to bring in the Master with you? Can't fight your own battles? Why wouldn't i be interested in a Mayo thread on a national forum? I played as much gaelic football as hurling. Jack Sparrow, i suggest you go back to your nest, you left it too soon."
Good man Arnie..or are you Danny DeVito.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 23/07/2017 15:30:25

Bordering Counties Who Dont Have Much Of A Rivalry - 2 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Dickie your wrong there, trust me, kinnegad Ballinabrackey, clonard hill of down, there is pure hatred, I mean it gets ver nasty, Sam in Mullingar, give a prime example, well known shop in centre of town with huge banner across window with score and under it Meath me arse after our defeat in lsf. To quote a man heavily involved in wm gaa, he would rather have seen big Ian paisley lift Sam singing gstq than any Meath man. I have never seen or heard of many Westmeath people shout for Meath. Even this year after they beat Kildare it was all for dubs in second match. Now the Louth thing isn't as big neither believe it or not is dubs thing as there is grudgingly respect, bit Westmeath? Nahh thats bitter and at sometimes unsavoury"
Pure exaggeration It's Westmeath not Millwall you are on about. It's a wonder it's safe for you to coach in Westmeath when people hear you are from the dreaded Meath. Do you get police protection or what ?

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 01/01/2017 16:22:36

Junior Football Championship - 2 Like(s)

Replying To culmor:  "Will any of their players make an impact at county level? I know Ronan Wallace was full back for the 21s last year so he will be involved. Off the top of my head in the past 5 years or so players of the calibre of Darren O'Sullivan, Ciaran Kilkenny, Peter Kelly have won the all Ireland Junior club and are all-stars, so it really is a high standard of football to get to this level. I hope they enjoy the day out and go and finish the job, as the previous poster said its been a tough run and they are there on merit. Fairplay."
I would say Anthony McGivney has serious potential.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - 22/01/2018 13:28:56

Westmeath hurling - 2 Like(s)
Serious win tonight in Leinster u21 hurling championship Westmeath 1-11 Kilkenny 0-12

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 25/05/2016 21:06:33

Mapping Hurling strongholds throughout Ireland - 2 Like(s)

Replying To JXV:  "Here's a rough map I made... The darker the blue the more hurling is played in that area - might not be 100% accurate but I hope it helps :) link"
Ya must know your Hurling around the country. Good stuff. I'm thinking that there are 12 Westmeath clubs in that darker " Hurling area" on your map and 3 outside of it including Castletown Geoghegan traditionally one of the strongest Hurling clubs but surrounded by football.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 08/01/2017 12:30:19

Old Roscommon Song - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Calling Rossie fans 'Ownsie Hoare was to the fore, Bill Jackson on the right and McQuillan shone above the throng, like electric light' The above is a snippet of an old song (or poem) praising the great Rossie team of the forties. Any chance of any one having all or indeed just anymore of it."
Googled and found this: Under Captain Jimmy Murray's lead, a skipper born and bred, Proudly around Croke Park they marched, erect with stread tread, Resolved to show to every Gael at home and far away, Once Roscommon's valiant sons would nobly win the day Serene they looked, so cool and calm, in colours gold and blue, Circling around the mighty ground of bright and dazzling hue. Owensie Hoare was to the fore, Bill Jackson to his right, McQuillan shone before the throng with undiminished light. Maddening shouts of wild delight for Murray rent the air, Oh! Proud were we when every call found gallant Jimmy there. Nerney small, Gilmartin tall, Casserly at left back. Elusive Phelim Murray and young Doctor Derry Mac. Verily brave, "Doc" Callaghan saved in that eventful game. Enough will never written be of Donal Keenan's fame. Review of news must also sing of gallant Brendan Lynch, Young Carlos played at center half and never budged and inch. Time must ever cherish Kinlough's and Boland's play, Ingenious Dr. Gibbons, who was always in the fray.

Jack_Sparrow (Roscommon) - 16/02/2019 12:51:10

GAA and ethnic minorities - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Gleebo:  "My mother teaches at an Educate Together school in north county Dublin and tells me that the local GAA community are highly active in scouting for non-Irish talent. Further afield, there is growing interest in Gaelic games from people from non-Irish backgrounds. For example, there are leagues in Galicia in northwest Spain and Brittany in Northwest France which boast two dozen clubs between them, with hardly any Irish people involved. There are several German hurling clubs and Italian Gaelic football clubs composed entirely of local players. So, even given that it's a different context, there is a greater interest in GAA games among non-Irish people than many realize."
The Hurling Club in Buenos Aires which since world war 2 has played rugby and hockey because the supply of hurls dried up and the link with Ireland was lost is now actively coaching underage Hurling and Gaelic football again.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 02/01/2017 21:47:43

Meath Clubs In Leinster - 2 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Ahh they are jack certainly around castledaly area. And Mullingar clubs wouldn't have much liking for them either."
Can understand a rivalry with Castledaly but it's a big jump to think anyone will want them to lose against the Meath champions. For starters Dessie is a bit of a legend. Think it it will be a good match.

Jack_Sparrow (Meath) - 08/11/2019 21:13:23

Hurlers - 2 Like(s)
Well there's a thread with 50 posts on it since the Offaly game

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - 24/05/2016 10:29:58

Westmeath v Laois Leinster final 1995. Three game epic - 2 Like(s)
Yeah they were epic. The first game was in Croke Park. I remember sitting beside Brian Mullins.The other two went to extra time I think ? Certainly the first replay. Luke Dempsey was a great underage manager for Westmeath. 1 Leinster minor , 1 All Ireland Minor, then 2 Leinster U21 and 1 All Ireland under 21 with mostly different players. He built the team that won the Leinster under the great late Paidi O'Se.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 18/10/2017 08:30:00

Threads that constantly reappear - 1 Like(s)

Replying To ormondbannerman:  "Since we're all about correcting people, any chance you could learn how to use the reply function correctly? GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts:87 - 02/06/2017 17:39:33No because of how its formatted. If it was like other forums. Then i would but wont use reply function as it currently is set up"
Ok I'm convinced. You are a master wind up merchant. In your previous post you were telling someone to use commas / full stops correctly. One post later and you are dropping in random full stops. Coincidence? I think not.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 02/06/2017 22:01:37

Irish History/GAA/General Knowledge - 1 Like(s)
http://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/8405/a-forgotten-night-at-galway-docks The link refers to an interesting and rarely mentioned tale regarding the departure of most of the Blueshirts from Galway to Spain aboard a German ship in 1936. Amongst them were 3 Galway men ( bystanders) who got swept along by the excitement and Departed to Spain along with the rest. As well as this article the incident appears in several books I believe

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 01/06/2020 21:10:16

Non-Sport Superthread - 1 Like(s)
I was in LA for two days and San Francisco for two more. I would recommend Universal Studios in Hollywood and took the bus tour to try see the main points of the city. Santa Monica beach was cool. Hollywood walk of fame fairly tacky and lots of scam artists about. San Francisco, recommend Alcatraz and of course Golden Gate Bridge and the National park beside it. You can take a day trip across the bridge to a place called Muirs Woods which has massive redwood trees if you are into that sort of thing. Otherwise fisherman's wharf is where a lot is going on.

Jack_Sparrow (OtherSports) - 03/11/2017 23:02:18

The Corona Virus And Possible Effects To GAA Matches - 1 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "The league's are gone and will be classified as null and void. The championship? I don't know. They obviously trying to push the knockout version, which I'd be fine with once it's a once off 32 team seeded draw, NO provincial championships this year. That's the only way it can proceed. But will they? And even at that, it's very 50/50. At best"
I think the opposite. Surely the virus will be around and there will still be restrictions (if its played) I don't think asking Cork to travel to Derry in the first round will be best way to contain it. Better to play counties from nearby. For what it's worth I don't see how championship will be played at all and if it is could be behind closed doors for early rounds anyway.

Jack_Sparrow (National) - 13/04/2020 09:53:36

Fantasy Football 17/18 - 1 Like(s)
Yeah a group of us fight it out every year in the ol fantasy football. I normally do fairly well but nose dived last season and it was the first time I got less than 2000 which is my target every year so I was raging. I got my captains choices wrong for weeks on end and wasn't able to make up the difference. Overall though I do okay. Normally I don't overspend on defence but would try to include a Chelsea player. Burnley had good defensive returns last year. I steer clear of Man Utd midfielders as there are to many options. Basically I try to pick a squad of players who will play every week as a minimum. I try to have a big hitting captain i.e. Harry Kane who scores/assists very often. I offload Arsenal in the second half of the season with the exception of Sanchez. Kyle Walker was a major points scorer for Spurs last year and has gone to City. Trippier will probably be his replacement and could be a good choice. I steer clear of players who are new to English football as they are a complete gamble. Last year I kept a wildcard until the weekend before the big double game week and then bought in 15 players who were on form and all playing twice the following week. I ended up with 181 points but it wasn't enough to pass out my rivals as I'd left myself too much to do. Basically Sergio Aguero killed me in the opening weeks of the season. There's a good bit of luck involved too obviously. Anyway that's my input into it..... Good luck with you picking.

Jack_Sparrow (ElevenASide) - 15/07/2017 10:23:24